Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 01:10 It is currently 04 May 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Re: GPA Issues [#permalink]
jallenmorris wrote:
How many schools are there that treat the + and - on grades differently? My UG used this scale:
A = 4
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2
C- = 1.7

and in Law school, they went on 12 point scale.

A+ = 12
A = 11
A= 10
B+ = 9

Any suggestions on dealing with the way my GPA is different than many other schools method of calculation?

My UG uses the + and - the same way that yours did. I go to a large state school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
My school did what your undergrad did:

A = 4
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2
C- = 1.7
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
my ug also uses the same +/- system.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
jallen,

Do you report your law school gpa out of 11 or out of 12?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
A 4.00
A– 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B– 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00

State school
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
It's out of 12.

I think #1 in the class had a GPA of like 10.6 or something. We didn't curve and professors were told to maintain a % of failing grades and keep the grades evenly disbursed throughout the class.

misterlev wrote:
jallen,

Do you report your law school gpa out of 11 or out of 12?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
My school had +/-. They used three decimal points (3.667,3.333), but the breakdowns are the same.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Looks like the consensus is that multiple schools use the +/- breakdown and not just the A, B, C, D across the board. This at least lets me know that my GPA will be comparable to others as far as scale goes. Now as to strength of program, I just hope the adcoms have read the rankings of US News and recognize my University.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Add one more for the use of +/-, which was good in my case because I ended up getting a lot of X+ grades (not A's, LOL).
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I spent a good 30 minutes just looking over my unofficial transcript faxed to me by my UG university today. I definitely know that i'm going to answer the Kellogg quesiton "I wish the adcoms had asked me about. . . " Hopefully that will allow me to explain how my perspective has changed since UG and why I didn't do all that great in law school (working full time).

I know my personality and I'm best when I'm focused completely on something and nothing else. I'm sure a bunch of people are like that, but there are always those that say "I can multitask with the best of them." I can do that on a small scale, but if I have so many "big" things going on, then I can't focus as well and it shows in how I perform. I'm looking forward to b-school where I won't work but go fulltime and focus on nothing but b-school. This way I will avoid a similar blunder to my UG grades.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
maryland had the dumbest system while i was there. they had +/-'s but did not count them in gpa calculation because they transitioning from no +/- to a +/- system and professors did not all comply. this sucked for law and med school applicants where gpas were recalculated for applications using +/-. at least for bschool there is no recalculation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
I spent a good 30 minutes just looking over my unofficial transcript faxed to me by my UG university today. I definitely know that i'm going to answer the Kellogg quesiton "I wish the adcoms had asked me about. . . " Hopefully that will allow me to explain how my perspective has changed since UG and why I didn't do all that great in law school (working full time).

I know my personality and I'm best when I'm focused completely on something and nothing else. I'm sure a bunch of people are like that, but there are always those that say "I can multitask with the best of them." I can do that on a small scale, but if I have so many "big" things going on, then I can't focus as well and it shows in how I perform. I'm looking forward to b-school where I won't work but go fulltime and focus on nothing but b-school. This way I will avoid a similar blunder to my UG grades.

I would be careful with that explanation just because mba will require juggling classes, clubs, recruiting, etc. Granted, we may know that does not compare to law school + full time job, but the adcom may be thinking that their program is extremely intense and that the combo of classes, clubs, hw, projects, recruiting, socializing, etc requires the ability to multi-task
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
What I'm talking about when I say having too much on my place it this:

- Work full-time
- Family ( wife + 2 kids)
- Social, friends
- 2 start-ups that I'm working with. Each gave me 25% to be their attorney / programmer / Marketer
- political campaign volunteer
- multiple websites I'm creating for clients/friends/non-profits aside from the start-ups

I'm looking forward to having 1 thing that I'm doing, even thought that 1 thing has multiple parts. That I can handle. What I want to get away from is having multiple website clients, the startups, and the job. I want to focus my efforts on one particular thing. Terp06 made a good point the other day that I've heard before, but it was good to hear again. It's better to be an expert in one area than mediocre in many. He didn't say I'm mediocre, but I got his point. I'm certainly not the world's expert in any of these areas. I have an opportunity to go to one of the world's best business schools. I think I'd be a fool not to drop the things that I can drop and focus only on b-school and being one of the best business leaders in the world.

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

I would be careful with that explanation just because mba will require juggling classes, clubs, recruiting, etc. Granted, we may know that does not compare to law school + full time job, but the adcom may be thinking that their program is extremely intense and that the combo of classes, clubs, hw, projects, recruiting, socializing, etc requires the ability to multi-task
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
We didn't curve and professors were told to maintain a % of failing grades and keep the grades evenly disbursed throughout the class.

LOL - Where I come from, this is called a curve. ;)
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
What I mean is that if the best score in the class was a B+, then that's the highest score. That grade would not become the A+ as should happen with a true curve.

ryguy904 wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
We didn't curve and professors were told to maintain a % of failing grades and keep the grades evenly disbursed throughout the class.

LOL - Where I come from, this is called a curve. ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Berkeley used the +/- system, but capped it at 4.0

Stanford used the +/- system, with A+ as 4.3

To be safe, I would check the GPA system of the school you're applying to see how you should calculate your GPA.
GMAT Club Bot