Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 18:43 It is currently 08 May 2024, 18:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Which schools like it when you visit them? [#permalink]
I've seen Darden listed too.

I think if they ask in the application, then they care. I've only seen this with MIT, but I'm applying to 2 schools.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Virtually every school with a yield below 55-60% is going to look at you in better light if you make the effort to visit the school before you submit the application.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I was at an MBA Presentation the other night and the MIT rep said emphatically that they place ZERO emphasis on visiting the school, but said they have heard other schools (didn't mention any names) place a bit of stock in it.

The schools at the Presentation that said they absolutely do not care were -

- Harvard
- Wharton
- Stanford
- Kellogg
- MIT

Hope this helps!

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
All of them. Absolutely all of them - it helps you form a good basis for the essay targeting, and is an early way to start showing the love.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
I have visited a few schools but I don't have anything about it in my essays. Do you guys really squeeze that info in your career essays? With 500-750 words I've been focused on what I've done, what I want to do (short and long) why I need an MBA and what specific programs, classes, clubs, etc will help me reach those goals. I just don't have the words to waste time on my impressions from my visit. Stuff like "the class I sat in on was very engaged" is nowhere in my essays. PLUS, at least for the 3 schools I visited, I had to either register online or fill out some kind of attendance card/sheet. So, if the school cares whether or not you visited, it will already be in the file.

Now, when I'm interviewing and I can get more in depth I definitely plan to talk about my visits. But, from what I see on this board it looks to me like everyone is trying to squeeze campus visit anecdotes into their essays. Am I right about that?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I have visited a few schools but I don't have anything about it in my essays. Do you guys really squeeze that info in your career essays? With 500-750 words I've been focused on what I've done, what I want to do (short and long) why I need an MBA and what specific programs, classes, clubs, etc will help me reach those goals. I just don't have the words to waste time on my impressions from my visit. Stuff like "the class I sat in on was very engaged" is nowhere in my essays. PLUS, at least for the 3 schools I visited, I had to either register online or fill out some kind of attendance card/sheet. So, if the school cares whether or not you visited, it will already be in the file.

Now, when I'm interviewing and I can get more in depth I definitely plan to talk about my visits. But, from what I see on this board it looks to me like everyone is trying to squeeze campus visit anecdotes into their essays. Am I right about that?

Yup I'm squeezing in my visits/students I've spoken with in my essays in conveying my fit with the school. I'm only using a line or two though :)
VP
VP
The feedback I've received on my goals essays is that I need to do more of what ac8706 is doing to set myself apart from every other applicant. So I'm in a bit of a quandary now about what "intangibles" to emphasize and how. But apparently it is something that needs to touched upon a little bit. Of course, you can't just say "the class was engaging" - it has to be spun a little better than that.

ac8706 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Yup I'm squeezing in my visits/students I've spoken with in my essays in conveying my fit with the school. I'm only using a line or two though :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
remote location and/or inferiority complex
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I know Berkeley and UCLA both look highly upon visiting. Berkeley hosts Super Saturday type interview events to make sure students (domestic US students) visit the school. UCLA is very yield conscious and have rejected people in the past for not visiting... (anecdotal evidence...)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Are the responses in this thread referring to pre-interview?

Honestly, there's no way I'm flying to visit Darden, just to have to go back there again for an interview (required on-campus interviews, I believe).
Current Student
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

Honestly, there's no way I'm flying to visit Darden, just to have to go back there again for an interview (required on-campus interviews, I believe).

If you don't visit before your interview it's an automatic ding
VP
VP
Huh? Not sure how serious you were being there IHateTheGMAT but I believe Darden eliminated its applicant-initiated interview process last year.

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Huh? Not sure how serious you were being there IHateTheGMAT but I believe Darden eliminated its applicant-initiated interview process last year.

I was clearly joking...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Darden does not have self-initiated interviews this year.

I met IHTG earlier this month, so I knew he was joking around. :twisted:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I know Duke gives brownie points for visiting/interviewing. A visit beforehand can't hurt either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Any idea if Ross expects applicants to visit?
I'm shooting for R1 and it is my top choice.

I live in Indiana, about 4 hours from Ann Arbor but considering the fact that R1 is less than 3 weeks away and work is hectic, I might not be able to visit. Would it be a disadvantage? Would it be fine if I visit Ross after submitting R1?
GMAT Club Bot