Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 08:06 It is currently 19 May 2024, 08:06
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink]
jasonc wrote:
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
This sounds trivial, but in the employment history section of the employment form, it asks what your desired position after kellogg is under the section that asks you to fill in your current employer. It also asks for a description of your goals.

Do you think this is just a section to drop in a quick goal statement and hypothetical job title for after graduation? Seems odd there would only be a single line for career goals here while half of the first essay is dedicated to career goals.

I also have the same question about what to fill in for the 'desired position after kellogg' and the 'long term career goals'.

Any thoughts on this River? (going to give kellogg a call tomorrow)

Its just what it sounds like. For example - if you want to be a Product Manager it might be something like "Product Manager at XYZ Company/Industry" and "CMO in XYZ Industry" or something to that effect. It should be positions that fit in with your story. What would be your ideal job immediately after school and what would it be later down the line.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Steel wrote:
jasonc wrote:
This sounds trivial, but in the employment history section of the employment form, it asks what your desired position after kellogg is under the section that asks you to fill in your current employer. It also asks for a description of your goals.

Do you think this is just a section to drop in a quick goal statement and hypothetical job title for after graduation? Seems odd there would only be a single line for career goals here while half of the first essay is dedicated to career goals.

I also have the same question about what to fill in for the 'desired position after kellogg' and the 'long term career goals'.

Any thoughts on this River? (going to give kellogg a call tomorrow)

Its just what it sounds like. For example - if you want to be a Product Manager it might be something like "Product Manager at XYZ Company/Industry" and "CMO in XYZ Industry" or something to that effect. It should be positions that fit in with your story. What would be your ideal job immediately after school and what would it be later down the line.

I guess where I got thrown off is where it seems to apply to the current employer section. I don't want to be employed by my current employer after Kellogg! 8-)
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM

I guess where I got thrown off is where it seems to apply to the current employer section. I don't want to be employed by my current employer after Kellogg! 8-)

Yah - not sure why they decided to put it in the Employment section either.... maybe I can bring that up if I do Admissions stuff at Kellogg :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Ripper (and anyone else who'd like to chime in),

Two questions:

1. What class(es) do you anticipate as particularly memorable/worthwhile?
2. Are there any particularly famous classes at Kellogg?

Best,

Dom
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Dont know a lot of classes that are famous yet but pretty much every second year I talked to said once you finish your core you will never have to take a class that doesnt really interest you. What classes interests one person might be miserable for others. I know people who are thrilled about taking some of the advanced finance classes when personally I dread the very idea of that.

Sorry if my response sucks, I literally got back from KWEST two hours ago.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Dont know a lot of classes that are famous yet but pretty much every second year I talked to said once you finish your core you will never have to take a class that doesnt really interest you. What classes interests one person might be miserable for others. I know people who are thrilled about taking some of the advanced finance classes when personally I dread the very idea of that.

Sorry if my response sucks, I literally got back from KWEST two hours ago.

Where'd you end up going?
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
I just got back from KWEST as well. It may be the best orientation concept I have ever seen.

I ended up going to Argentina for the week (split between BA and Bariloche). The group was amazing and we had a ridiculous time living it up. Its amazing how tight the group can become in just a weeks time.

For those who end up at Kellogg - you MUST do KWEST.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I 100% agree with Steel on this...KWEST was a great time and I went on another one of the South America trips. I recommend that part of the world since you dont have the time changes that can really be rough on a week long trip and on adjusting when you return back to Evanston and start CIM almost immediately. Everyone in my group got along great and when we had the big reveal it was very surprising to hear what people did before school. Some amazing backgrounds thats for sure, everything from McKinsey and Bain to people with careers completely out of the norm.

As for it being a great way to start school that is definitely a great way to look at it...it gives you a group of around 15 to 20 other 1st years and then 5 2nd years who lead the trips that you form a tight bond with before stepping foot in Jacobs as a student. CIM starts tomorrow, I am sure one of us will give you an idea what that is like...but from what I was told we wont have much time at all though. This is the beginning of the end for freetime for us for a while.

Recruiting begins a few weeks into October, so we have 3 weeks after CIM to settle in before chasing careers. IB and MC presentations are first and very frequent, the joke is that its a good source of free food and goodies.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
My essays are just about finalized, my recommendations should be submitted by Friday, and I am interviewing on Sep 19th. Should I go ahead and submit part 2 of my application before the interview so everything will be complete or should I wait it out a few more weeks until later in September? The only reason I would wait is that as I continue to work on a few other school's essays, I may find better ways to phrase things for the Kellogg essays. However, I don't anticipate too many changes as I have been working on these since late June/July. I would love to submit sooner so that I find out sooner as Kellogg is my top choice. Thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I would hold off a few weeks. You may come up with something that improves your stories or just a better way of wording them. I dont think that applying in early sept is going to help you. You can still submit them in the beginning of Oct and be well ahead of the deadline. The interviewer doesnt get to see your application anyways, all they get is your resume.

Plus if you are applying from CPG they probably will assume they are one of your very top choices since that is where their reputation is strongest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey,

How are we supposed to request an off-campus interview? Is it just by submitting Part 1, or do you actually need to call the office to schedule it after submitting part 1? Very confused.... :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
You dont request...they will assign you an interviewer off campus if one is available. If you are in a far flung location and there is no one around there then they will do a phone interview if they are considering you for admissions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UCLA Anderson '12
 Q42  V40 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi guys,
How many years out will a candidate be considered a reapplicant? I applied for 2008 but was turned down and really want to improve on a few things, mainly my time spent participating in extra-curric's and retaking the GMAT to edge into the top 90th %tile. I suspect I'll reapply for the 2010 class.

Also, do the admissions staff give any personal feedback at all for reapplicants?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
I've reached out and spoken with quite a few Kellogg Alums, Students, and even a family friend who is a recruiter for a firm that recruits heavily from Kellogg. All of the interaction has really driven home the cultural fit I feel for the school, though I haven't mentioned it all very in depth in my essays.
How much of a difference do you think it makes to an applicants "odds" to specifically mention names and stories of interactions in essays? I feel like its almost forcing it, or name dropping to do it more than once or twice in the application package. What are your thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
You dont need to name drop but you definitely want to show a cultural fit. Even once you are a student they tend to beat that into your head.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi Buddy,

Must be a great feeling once u graduate. To brief about me, i am a chartered accountant from India (equivalent to CPA in US). Of late i have been doing a lot of research on US Bschools. i m more inclined towards PE post MBA. my hunch is Kellogg is not strongly focussed towards it. Just want to know whether my assessment is correct. May i know what percentage of your batch got into PE post MBA and whther it was through internship there or some other way and what is the typical profile of a person who gets into PE. Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
About 5% of people go into PE. However, to be honest I dont think its realistic to think you are going to get into PE out of almost any school outside maybe HBS or Stanford but even that is unlikely. Not to ruin your dream but with the huge decrease in IB careers out there due to the shuttering of Lehman and Bear Sterns, and also Merril Lynch. There is a glut of talented people with prior experience that is going to be much more valuable than a CPA and MBA. PE/HF are going to be nearly impossible going forward for people without experience.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7