Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 684 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: GMAT Volume Results - Thru Sept 30th [#permalink]
Yeah, thats why most schools are now focusing on diversity..diversity in background, diversity in ethnicity.. etc..
Current Student
Send PM
marshpa wrote:
Yeah, thats why most schools are now focusing on diversity..diversity in background, diversity in ethnicity.. etc..

Please explain.

You're saying that because more international students are applying, the schools are focusing on diversity? I don't follow.

From what I can gather, most schools (and corporations) have been focusing on diversity for at least the last 5 years.

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Thank you for posting these every so often. They're an excellent barometer.

Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
refurb wrote:
marshpa wrote:

Please explain.

You're saying that because more international students are applying, the schools are focusing on diversity? I don't follow.

From what I can gather, most schools (and corporations) have been focusing on diversity for at least the last 5 years.

RF

I think quite the opposite, the candidates are now more focused on diversity in their application, to stand out. With GMAT scores and applications on the up, a 710 (my score) doesn't stand out like it did 5-10 years ago. So we all have have to flex all our diversity muscle in the application
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I think the international increase is 90% Indian IT and an additional smaller contingent from Europe
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
I think the international increase is 90% Indian IT and an additional smaller contingent from Europe

I wish they broke down the "Non-US" into countries, or at least regions. This way it'd be easier to corroborate the theory that the "Non-US" rise is due to more asian and european schools needing the GMAT for MBA applications i.e non competing test-takers for us
Current Student
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
I think quite the opposite, the candidates are now more focused on diversity in their application, to stand out. With GMAT scores and applications on the up, a 710 (my score) doesn't stand out like it did 5-10 years ago. So we all have have to flex all our diversity muscle in the application

I agree.

But I also think that b-schools are jumping on the diversity bandwagon, just like corporate America.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
refurb wrote:
buffdaddy wrote:

I agree.

But I also think that b-schools are jumping on the diversity bandwagon, just like corporate America.

RF

So what are the chances that the sixth toe on my left foot gets me into b-school? :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1455 [0]
Send PM
ok

Originally posted by jimmyjamesdonkey on 08 Oct 2008, 18:18.
Last edited by jimmyjamesdonkey on 09 Oct 2008, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
refurb wrote:
buffdaddy wrote:

I agree.

RF

So what are the chances that the sixth toe on my left foot gets me into b-school? :lol:

unfortunately YihWei you are only a 1/500 anomaly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyly
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
If you look elsewhere on the same site, it says that only ~65% of int'l GMAT scores actually get sent to american schools, which means the % that actually apply to american schools is even smaller. That number has been fairly consistent even through the 'lean' GMAT years (2005, 2006).

That's why I'm not freaking out about the numbers. I expect it to be more competitive than last year, but I'm not expecting a huge leap. Plus, as others have commented, I'm expecting even the int'l numbers to jump in areas that are already overrepresented.
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
thanks for removing the controversy.

So, back to the GMAT discussion. Do you folks think that the rise in test takers could be because of re-takers who in the past would have been satisfied with a lower score?

Originally posted by buffdaddy on 08 Oct 2008, 18:46.
Last edited by buffdaddy on 09 Oct 2008, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I think you're probably right, the competition for anyone outside the Indian IT pool is probably not much different. But, I would guess that the increase in the number of GMATs from Indian IT does increase the competition for that particular pool. I think there are plenty more very smart, very capable candidates left in India.

I work in IT, so trust me, I work with plenty of Indians. Almost none (if even any) have any trouble conversing, they were mostly educated in British schools and they probably speak better english than many Americans. I think there are still a lot of these types jumping on the B-school band wagon and I wouldn't consider that pool diluted as of yet.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
YihWei wrote:

unfortunately YihWei you are only a 1/500 anomaly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyly

Ha - did anyone see that the newest Bond girl had this? I was really excited to see her six-fingered hand, but apparently she had them joined as a kid. :cry:
Current Student
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Honestly, I see #s like these a have to think that on the surface it looks like a more competitive landscape, I think deep down it is the same as always.

Good analysis. I agree as well.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
YihWei wrote:

B-school? Probably won't help.

But I bet the chicks love it!! :P

RF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Its no surprise that there is an increase in the number of people taking the GMAT per year; and the increase in applications to B-School.

But what was the percent increase for total B-School slots for this past year? The top 25 schools might not be taking on more students, but this isn't entirely true for the rest of the programs. Each year a few more MBA programs are created, and many recently established schools are still rapidly expanding. Maybe these numbers will help offset the increase of test takers.

Can anyone chime in?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2