Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
If only u guys knew wht u guys were missing by not living in the south!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
gmat4life, were you Group One or Group Two?

gmat4life wrote:
hi guys,
i was at the open house yesterday as well. some of my thoughts:

Hi Solaris,

I was group one. How about you? Your thoughts on the visit?

Pelihu - Can you comment a bit on the consulting placement locations. In speaking with CDO they mentioned even some of the big firms will come in and say they are only recruiting for the Atlanta office. Can you comment on this? Does this also occur for Finance recruiting? I had read earlier that you were interested in finance, can you comment on your plan for finance recruiting this year? The CDO staff was saying they are advising students to consider alternate fields this year.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
gmat4life wrote:

Hi Solaris,

I was group one. How about you? Your thoughts on the visit?

Pelihu - Can you comment a bit on the consulting placement locations. In speaking with CDO they mentioned even some of the big firms will come in and say they are only recruiting for the Atlanta office. Can you comment on this? Does this also occur for Finance recruiting? I had read earlier that you were interested in finance, can you comment on your plan for finance recruiting this year? The CDO staff was saying they are advising students to consider alternate fields this year.

Well, I had an investment banking internship with one of the top bulge bracket banks in Los Angeles this past summer. LA is my hometown. Finance recruiting is very dead for second year students right now. Those that were with top banks over the summer do have shots at some of the openings, but those are almost exclusively in New York. I'd rather not head to New York (just personal preference) so I'm looking at some other things. One of the things I'm interested in is investment management. I'm a portfolio manager with Darden Capital Management and I like that type of work. The challenge is that many of these firms do not make hiring decisions until the spring, and this year it seems that they are really pushing back their schedules. Given the extremely tough economy with more layoffs announced every day, it will take nerves of steel to sit around and wait for jobs that may or may not materialize in the spring.

Regarding recruiting for consulting, I can tell you that comment is not true. I've been recruiting with some of the top consulting firms this year (a safe harbor for a few years given that the financial world is getting crushed - not just banks, but private equity and HFs - anyone take a look at the news from KKR and Fortress?). After on-campus interviews, I had a final round with the LA office of one of the Big 3 last week, and will be heading to San Francisco for a final round this Friday with another of the Big 3. I can also assure you that many students here have been called back by the Big 3 to New York, Chicago, New Jersey (everyone has their own preferences), Boston, Philadelphia and many other locations. I can also tell you for sure that second year students have received offers from McKinsey in Taipei, Bain in several China locations and a good friend of mine just got an offer from Bain Capital in Singapore. We also had people in Stockholm, Germany, throughout Europe and in India as well (these are all just off the top of my head - there are others).

Certainly, most people from Darden head to Atlanta, DC & Dallas, however I believe that's highly correlated with the backgrounds of the people who are here. As alluded to in some prior messages, many people here are from the South and/or would like to live in the South. Such students naturally target the offices around here (Atlanta being the biggest consulting employer in the region). It's also well-known that some locations are much more competitive to get to; San Francisco is the best example, but NY and LA are also very tough. The firms themselves say this so some students choose to direct their attentions at less competitive offices - this is particularly true for international students who don't already have ties to a certain area. Which leads to the final point that the most in-demand offices always cast a wary eye at people who do not have connections to the city in question. For example, of the 300 students in the 2nd year class at Darden, perhaps 20 are from California. Subtract out those who already have jobs, and those who are looking at other industries, and you're really looking a just a handful of people that might target San Francisco as their top choice.

But to say that any of the top firms recruit only for Atlanta is completely incorrect. I only really know about recruiting at the Big 3, but I can tell you that while Atlanta was probably the most popular destination (see above reasons), far less than 1/2 of the call-backs were for Atlanta (certainly not all). There are reasons why someone from here would choose a local as their top choice - for example the Darden community is much stronger in an office if many people head there each year and some people value this a lot. However, if you're from New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles, you'll have a great shot to interview for a job in these cities (up to you to close the deal). If you're from the hills of West Virginia before heading to Darden, you're going to have a tough time making a case for any of the most competitive cities - but that's true for almost any school with any of the elite firms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Great post pelihu! I truly enjoy reading your posts and opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
status went from complete to "Pending"....guess there is some action going on and hopefully interview invites soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[quote="pelihu"][quote="gmat4life"]

Well, I had an investment banking internship with one of the top bulge bracket banks in Los Angeles this past summer.

Pelihu,

I appreciate the informative post. Kudos.

What advice is being given to the first years who are targetting finance. If internship offers are dismal, will these students have a decent shot as second years? On a side note, Your thoughts on the economy and how long this downside in recruiting will last?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Has anyone compared last year's thread to see when the invites started rolling?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
I can also tell you for sure that second year students have received offers from McKinsey in Taipei, Bain in several China locations and a good friend of mine just got an offer from Bain Capital in Singapore.

Hi Pelihu,

Can you quickly comment on those offers in the Greater China region?
Do they have some ties with the city where they get the offers as well?
Also, are they treated as local hire or given salary as if hired in US?

thanks.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
Ok, a couple of quick answers as I sit here at the airport.

I can only guess at what will happen with investment bank recruiting next year for current first-year students. If the economy turns around drastically and the banks find themselves shorthanded next fall, they will try to hire to fill their needs. The chance that this happens may be pretty good because it's clear that all banks have cut back internship hiring dramatically this year. The challenge, of course, is that when they hire 2nd year students for full-time positions they are looking for people who can step in and fill a role right away. Career switchers will have a challenge in demonstrating that they can fill this need. Banks are willing to hire career switchers for internships, and then weed out those that can't hack it, but I think they might be reluctant to hire untested folks for full-time positions because the commitment is much greater, and the proportion of people who cannot hack banking is fairly high.

Regarding the consulting positions in China and Taiwan, I believe these were all people returning to their home countries (not necessarily their home cities). I just spoke with a friend this afternoon, and hiring in China has been very good this year, compared with hiring in the US which has been very tough for 2nd year students. I didn't ask about details related to compensation, but my friend told me that if she returned to Shanghai to join Bain, her husband would have to take a pretty big pay-cut (he's in DC right now) but taken together they would be better off than if she took a consulting position with a slightly lesser firm in DC. That leads me to believe that they are paying her a standard US-level salary. This is different than other firms like Intel, for example, who told a friend of mine that they would pay a local salary to people interested in positions in China, and only people who were with the firm for a few years were given ex-pat packages. Overall, not a bad year to be a Chinese speaker.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Thanks for the explanation, +1! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I am a round two applicant to Darden. Are/Were these essay questions as difficult for everybody else as they are for me? Widdling down my entire MBA story into a TOTAL of 1000 words? This is going to take some serious introspection. Every time I read my essays I think "NO NO NO, this isn't getting the message across at all!" But it is practically impossible to get all of the relevant facts across in 250 words. I believe that the best writers can get their points across concisely, but this is bordering on absurdity!

Okay, I'm done. :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
atlmba2009 wrote:
I am a round two applicant to Darden. Are/Were these essay questions as difficult for everybody else as they are for me?

I completely agree with you. This was my hardest Rd 1 app (I also applied to Cornell, Michigan, and Duke).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
atlmba2009 wrote:
I am a round two applicant to Darden. Are/Were these essay questions as difficult for everybody else as they are for me?

I completely agree with you. This was my hardest Rd 1 app (I also applied to Cornell, Michigan, and Duke).

This may be my inner nerd coming out, but I enjoyed the challenge. Paring it down made me think about what was really important. I wrote these essays first, and it was hard not to feel like I was rambling on the subsequent two-pagers.

In other news, I got my first admit this week. Feels great, can't wait for everyone else's to start rolling in!
VP
VP
Wow, Darden's in the top 10 most popular schools by number of application so far according to admissions411.com.
Highly unscientific, but perhaps a sign of things to come?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
So I'm (finally) starting the Darden essays for Rd 2. One thing I'm curious about - there's no explicit question that says "why darden". I was thinking of incorpating bits of that into essays 1 and 3, but with those word limits, it could be pretty tricky...

Is that what y'all R1-ers did?

PS should we start a Rd 2 list?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ac8706 wrote:
So I'm (finally) starting the Darden essays for Rd 2. One thing I'm curious about - there's no explicit question that says "why darden". I was thinking of incorpating bits of that into essays 1 and 3, but with those word limits, it could be pretty tricky...

Is that what y'all R1-ers did?

I had some difficulty with the Darden essays to incorprate the 'why darden' bit. i used all the three essays to answer that implicit question. I might add that I am not particulary proud of my darden essays.
VP
VP
Where's the R1 roll call, folks? Start one with your submit dates so I can post it on the first page of this thread.

R2 Applicants
ac8706
atlmba2009
solaris1

ac8706 wrote:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35