Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Non Profit / General
Schools:Kellogg Darden, HBS, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Notre Dame
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 482 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
Bah nevermind I was able to sign on with my laptop. Turns out internet access is free at PHL. Still no update.

in all seriousness, if you do get stranded at an airport without free wifi, you might be able to use the internet connection on your blackberry through your laptop. most blackberries can be configured as modems ... hook it up to the laptop via bluetooth (or USB) and as long as you have the phone configured correctly, it should work fine.

try getting this to work. at the very least, it'll take your mind off your 'status' for a bit :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Nothing for me either today. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go into Christmas not knowing... :x
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Well good luck all...I will be away for the holidays and most likely without internet. Hopefully some of you get a nice Christmas present from Kellogg (even if you dont celebrate the holiday).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Two folks posted on the BWforum that they received admit phonecalls after 5pm Central, Friday evening. As far as I can remember, these are the only two admits reported since after the admit/deny mixup early in the week. Here's a theory about the distribution of dings/admits we've seen in the second half of the week.

After the admit/deny mixup, the adcom decided to focus on getting as many dings out of the way before beginning to make admit phonecalls again. This accounts for the low (nonexistent?) volume of calls Wed thru Friday. Friday evening they had completed sending out all the dings they had decided on, and a list of all the admit phonecalls to be made was distributed to staff. Some of the staff who wanted to get a headstart (perhaps because they wanted to go on Christmas break early) made a few phonecalls after hours on friday. Others will probably start making admit phonecalls next week.. We probably won't be seeing many dings next week. This also seems to fit with what we know about last years admit/deny pattern - there were no dings sent out in the last few days before the holidays.

Keep the hopes up guys.

Wouldn't it be ironic if I am the first to get dinged Monday morning. lol
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
F13 wrote:
Two folks posted on the BWforum that they received admit phonecalls after 5pm Central, Friday evening. As far as I can remember, these are the only two admits reported since after the admit/deny mixup early in the week. Here's a theory about the distribution of dings/admits we've seen in the second half of the week.

After the admit/deny mixup, the adcom decided to focus on getting as many dings out of the way before beginning to make admit phonecalls again. This accounts for the low (nonexistent?) volume of calls Wed thru Friday. Friday evening they had completed sending out all the dings they had decided on, and a list of all the admit phonecalls to be made was distributed to staff. Some of the staff who wanted to get a headstart (perhaps because they wanted to go on Christmas break early) made a few phonecalls after hours on friday. Others will probably start making admit phonecalls next week.. We probably won't be seeing many dings next week. This also seems to fit with what we know about last years admit/deny pattern - there were no dings sent out in the last few days before the holidays.

Keep the hopes up guys.

Wouldn't it be ironic if I am the first to get dinged Monday morning. lol

LOL it would be ironic, but you've got a great imagination thinking up that entire scenario!
Honestly at this point, I'd just like to hear something - waiting and not knowing is exhausting. At least with work I could focus on other things (for the most part), but with the holiday week coming, I'm most likely going to be chilling on the couch with my dog continuing with my addiction to this website.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
2: Describe how your background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students

Can accepted applicants, current students or fellow applicants share some thoughts on how they answered this question? My goals have roots in my background and so I talk about my background in my goals essay to make a connection with my future goals. So, I am finding it a bit difficult to split the details between this essay and the goals essay. And I talk about my leadership experiences in Essay 3. So how do I answer this question without repeating myself ? Also if any past applicant can share their essay's/ approach I would be greatful.

River, Any thoughts ?

P.S: How can I get access to the essay vault ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
bscracker wrote:
2: Describe how your background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students

Can accepted applicants, current students or fellow applicants share some thoughts on how they answered this question? My goals have roots in my background and so I talk about my background in my goals essay to make a connection with my future goals. So, I am finding it a bit difficult to split the details between this essay and the goals essay. And I talk about my leadership experiences in Essay 3. So how do I answer this question without repeating myself ? Also if any past applicant can share their essay's/ approach I would be greatful.

River, Any thoughts ?

I used this essay to talk about my ECs and specifically, how I got involved with my various ECs and made it a point to actually contribute to them. Kellogg seems very socially-oriented and I saw this essay as the one opportunity to really show that. Although, I admit that the question itself is fairly broad and this could be answered in many ways.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
balki1867 wrote:
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

I used this essay to talk about my ECs and specifically, how I got involved with my various ECs and made it a point to actually contribute to them. Kellogg seems very socially-oriented and I saw this essay as the one opportunity to really show that. Although, I admit that the question itself is fairly broad and this could be answered in many ways.

Last year the essay prompt was prefaced with "Each of our applicants is unique." I would think of this question as what value add/perspective/experiences do you bring with you to the table to enhance your fellow classmates time at b-school. Definitely great place to talk about things you might not talk about in a career goals / leadership essay that you find pertinent to your app.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

This was a hard one for me too last year, but I talked about how my experience in an unconventional industry (defense), parts of my background, and some of my EC passions could bring diversity to the student body. This gave me a little more space in the goals essay to talk about other aspects of my work experience.

Essay vaults are only open to people with 400+ posts and a good amount of kudos. Praetorian has an announcement at the front of the B-school app page that details his policies.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
The essay vault doesn't have any Kellogg stuff in it anyway (last I checked). I signed up for it for that purpose and now I'm committed to sharing essays anyway. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Oh God...it seems that the admissions office may be close until 2nd Jan...some other universities' admissions' offices ARE closed. Like Wharton...I hope that's not the case with Kellogg!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

This essay is a great opportunity to show how you plan to be actively involved in Kellogg's student-led culture - IMO an important part of "fit". I would stay away from talking about career goals or focusing too much on specific accomplishments in it. I used the essay to talk about my involvement in various educational-related activities inside and outside work (mentoring, Junior Achievement, professional society's scholarship committee, etc.) and how I would plan to continue to follow my passion for supporting education and learning through involvement in mentoring clubs, admissions, etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot kryzak.

NJMike4MBA,

Your reply hit the bullseye :-D .. Now I have an idea how to approach the essay.
Thanks a lot

NJMike4MBA wrote:
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

This essay is a great opportunity to show how you plan to be actively involved in Kellogg's student-led culture - IMO an important part of "fit". I would stay away from talking about career goals or focusing too much on specific accomplishments in it. I used the essay to talk about my involvement in various educational-related activities inside and outside work (mentoring, Junior Achievement, professional society's scholarship committee, etc.) and how I would plan to continue to follow my passion for supporting education and learning through involvement in mentoring clubs, admissions, etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
bscracker wrote:
Thanks a lot kryzak.

NJMike4MBA,

Your reply hit the bullseye :-D .. Now I have an idea how to approach the essay.
Thanks a lot

NJMike4MBA wrote:
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

I used this essay to try and show how my personality has developed throughout the years to something that others would benefit from at Kellogg. I stayed away from the professional side and started by describing my love for basketball and how, despite never being the most athletic or talented, I was able to influence the lives of others through basketball in various instances. I took liberty to include mildly self depracating humor ("I come from a long line of untalented athletes"). It was definitely not the most "professional essay", but I felt it let the reader get a good idea of who I was and where I was coming from. I am a strong believer that you can, and have to, create a personal connection with the admission committee through your writing.

If you promise not to send it to anyone else, I will send you my essay after replacing a few lines that are a little too personal (can someone confirm this is not breaking any rule?). Feel free to pm me with your e-mail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I already have my rough draft ready !!

+1 to everyone who helped :-D

EDIT: I can't give the kudos :cry: :?:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

For this essay, I talked about 3 different traits that I felt would allow me to contribute to the Kellogg class. For each trait, I talked about how I have used throughout my career using an experience (that also shows initiative and leadership). I then showed how that skill/ability would translate into enriching the experience of Kellogg students which allowed me to show my knowledge of Kellogg.

For example:
I am creative. At job X, I did took X creative initiative and developed Y that resulted in Z. At Kellogg, when working on X competition for Professor Y's class, I will be able to leverage my creativity and experiences to do Y and Z which will improve the experience of my fellow students.

The key is not just answering the question but doing more. Throughout each essay, no matter the question, you need to have a reoccuring theme. The easiest (and most relevant) theme is to constantly demonstrate leadership and your knowledge and passion for Kellogg (or any school).
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
cpgmba wrote:
bscracker wrote:

River, Any thoughts ?

For this essay, I talked about 3 different traits that I felt would allow me to contribute to the Kellogg class. For each trait, I talked about how I have used throughout my career using an experience (that also shows initiative and leadership). I then showed how that skill/ability would translate into enriching the experience of Kellogg students which allowed me to show my knowledge of Kellogg.

For example:
I am creative. At job X, I did took X creative initiative and developed Y that resulted in Z. At Kellogg, when working on X competition for Professor Y's class, I will be able to leverage my creativity and experiences to do Y and Z which will improve the experience of my fellow students.

The key is not just answering the question but doing more. Throughout each essay, no matter the question, you need to have a reoccuring theme. The easiest (and most relevant) theme is to constantly demonstrate leadership and your knowledge and passion for Kellogg (or any school).

I did the same with my essay. I described my background briefly to introduce why these traits define me, and demonstrated how I have exhibited these traits in undergrad, professional, and extracurricular activities. Then I ended it with how I anticipate to contribute to the kellogg class and tied in those traits again.

This I thought was my most difficult essay to spit out...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  70   71   72   73   74  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts