Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 03:31 It is currently 08 May 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:NYU STERN
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Should I tell them I have a learning disability? [#permalink]
I hate to sound like the devil's advocate but I've been drinking and I think this is an important thread for people with a learning disability. I'm ADD and have done all the physc evals and such for many years and have always done well in school but horrible on standardize test because I can't finish.

I refused to take the GMAT with extra time because I know I'm not always going to get special treatment for my condition. When you get your first job out of business school they aren't going to feel sorry for you because you have a learning disability, you either can or can't do the work. I know there are many talented individuals who don't test well but I know if you are committed you can master the GMAT.

I got a 640 the first time I took the test with scores not much different from yours. I spend the next couple of months practicing for the test. I did a ton of practice test and prep work and was able to score a 710 my second time around.

If you want a better score I think you can do it, just commit yourself to doing better instead of writing an essay about how you can't do well. Don't have things handed to you because you can, overcome the odds and get that 700+ score despite your learning disability and prove to everyone you are a person who will overcome any odds to be successful (now that's an essay)
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks. And I agree with you to a point - I have been working for 6 years now after college and have never said anything to anyone about having these issues. I don't want it to come across as me whining or being weak. However, no offense intended, but my brothers both have ADD and it is very different from my problem. I hate to say this but with ADD it's possible to take a pill to help you focus if you need to take an exam and/or study- I could take all the pills I want and I won't read any better! I am an avid reader and have tried to improve my speed etc but there is only so much I can do.

I do however agree with you that I should retake it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q41  V46
Send PM
I would start by saying that I had to overcome a disability of my own (which is currently under control) so I can understand how you feel to a certain degree. Like you, I have not mentioned my condition to my employers and I did not seek any special treatment for GMAT. I knew for sure I did not want to come across as whiny in my applications, so I aimed to do well in the GMAT and then mentioned in my optional essay the steps I had taken to cope with and overcome my condition.

I agree with lsuguy - I think what the end goal you should strive for is to demonstrate to adcom that you can handle the rigour of an MBA program if admitted. In fact, I believe there are scholarships out there for individuals with disabilities.

Good luck!

lsuguy7 wrote:
If you want a better score I think you can do it, just commit yourself to doing better instead of writing an essay about how you can't do well. Don't have things handed to you because you can, overcome the odds and get that 700+ score despite your learning disability and prove to everyone you are a person who will overcome any odds to be successful (now that's an essay)
GMAT Club Bot