Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 09:06 It is currently 02 May 2024, 09:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Paying for MBA [#permalink]
I read this article talking about financial aid and loans are down this year. This hasn't hit me yet, since I applied in R2. For those of you that applied in R1 and got admitted, have you guys started looking into how to finance the education? Is financial aid and loans really down? I think Kry said his loan jumped to 11%, that's crazy, my credit card rate isn't even that high. Any anecdotes you would like to share?

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090125/ap_ ... PCw_Gs0NUE

Originally posted by liubhs02 on 25 Jan 2009, 03:39.
Last edited by nink on 25 Jan 2009, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
merged
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
From what I understand, the federal loan programs (Stafford and GradPLUS) are still readily available, at 6.8% and 8.5% fixed rates. It's the private loans that are the problem.

I won't know for certain what my situation is until I get my financial aid letter from the school with my "expected family contribution." But I expect that just using federal loans and savings I'll be able to afford school. It's more a matter of if I can get private loans as well at a reasonable rate, I'll be able to keep more of my savings and/or live more comfortably at school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Kudos
aaudetat wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
Eligibility for unsubsidized Stafford loans is not need-based. And even if you qualify for a subsidized Stafford loans, you can only borrow $8,500 a year under the auspices of that program.

not need-based? my bad. I know that in undergrad my friends from wealthier families got all of their staffords as unsubsidized while mine were all subsidized.

From a non-official website (https://www.staffordloan.com/stafford-loan-info/graduate-stafford-loan.php):
Subsidized Stafford Loans are awarded to graduate students based on financial need. You will not be charged interest before you begin repayment or during periods of deferment. The federal government "subsidizes" the interest during these times.

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are not awarded based on financial needs. Any eligible graduate student can take out unsubsidized stafford loans. You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed, to the time the loan is repaid in full.

And the rates (school year/subsidized rate/unsubsidized rate):

2008-09 6.00% 6.80%
2009-10 5.60% 6.80%
2010-11 4.50% 6.80%
2011-12 3.40% 6.80%
2012-13 6.80% 6.80%
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
Just a quick comment, the official website for federal student aid programs is:
https://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp.

Everything else is just some lender posing as an "official" resource. StaffordLoan.com is just a site owned by one such lender, and is not affiliated with the Department of Education's Stafford program.

While you are free to go with any lender for Stafford and GradPLUS loans (the incentives and rates virtually all lenders offer are now identical), it's probably a good idea to pick a Stafford/GradPLUS lender "recommended" by your school's financial aid office.

This doesn't apply to private education loans however.

isa wrote:

And the rates you posted isa apply to undergraduate Stafford loans. Stafford loans for graduate study are fixed at 6.80%, they don't come down gradually like the undergraduate ones will in coming years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Just a quick comment, the official website for federal student aid programs is:
https://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp.

Everything else is just some lender posing as an "official" resource. StaffordLoan.com is just a site owned by one such lender, and is not affiliated with the Department of Education's Stafford program.

While you are free to go with any lender for Stafford and GradPLUS loans (the incentives and rates virtually all lenders offer are now identical), it's probably a good idea to pick a Stafford/GradPLUS lender "recommended" by your school's financial aid office.

This doesn't apply to private education loans however.

isa wrote:

Woah - good to know that there are sites posing as "official" resources. Thanks for the heads up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
And the rates you posted isa apply to undergraduate Stafford loans. Stafford loans for graduate study are fixed at 6.80%, they don't come down gradually like the undergraduate ones will in coming years.

Good to know solaris1 - I was actually going to ask why they come down gradually. I had heard that the rates were fixed so that was confusing. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
FYI

BW is hosting a chat with with Dan Thibeault, president and co-founder of Graduate Leverage, a student lending organization launched by Harvard Business School students. He’ll be answering questions about everything from how international students can find a co-signer to how much money you’ll really need to fund your MBA education.

https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=79078
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
FYI

BW is hosting a chat with with Dan Thibeault, president and co-founder of Graduate Leverage, a student lending organization launched by Harvard Business School students. He’ll be answering questions about everything from how international students can find a co-signer to how much money you’ll really need to fund your MBA education.

https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=79078

FYI - I met this guy and thought he was pretty cool. We talked about teaming up to do something at Fuqua, but somehow first year slipped away from me....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Stimulus Plan Would Provide Flood of Aid to Education

The economic stimulus plan that Congress has scheduled for a vote on Wednesday would shower the nation’s school districts, child care centers and university campuses with $150 billion in new federal spending, a vast two-year investment that would more than double the Department of Education’s current budget.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/educa ... ml?_r=1&hp
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Financial Woes Force B-School Cutbacks
Plunging endowments and reductions in state funding are leading to layoffs, salary freezes, even program shutdowns. And the worst is still to come

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... =rss_daily

Chat Transcript: MBA Loan Crisis
Dan Thibeault, co-founder of Graduate Leverage, fields questions on the loan challenges facing international MBA applicants

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... =rss_daily
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I have no problem covering the tuition and estimated living expenses through scholarship and Stafford loans. However, I am very confused as to how one covers car payments and credit card debt through the two years without income. I know it is illegal to direct education loans to such expenses, but I also find it hard to believe that no one has ever attended grad school who hasn't owned their car in full or had zero credit card debt. Also, I know federal loans can't be taken out over the school's estimated expenses. My particular school's estimate seems paltry at best...can private education loans be taken out to cover expenses above the estimated amount, or are these too capped off at what the school estimates?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1851 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Has anyone tried to take a loan against their current mortgage to fund their education?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
Private education loans are capped up to the estimated cost of attendance figure calculated by your school's financial aid office. You can try and have your school's financial aid folks adjust your budget to account for car payments and credit card debt (not sure if they'll agree, but worth a try) but unless I'm mistaken you're expected to pay existing debt (with the exception of existing student loan debt) with your personal savings I suppose.

DimpBiz wrote:
I have no problem covering the tuition and estimated living expenses through scholarship and Stafford loans. However, I am very confused as to how one covers car payments and credit card debt through the two years without income. I know it is illegal to direct education loans to such expenses, but I also find it hard to believe that no one has ever attended grad school who hasn't owned their car in full or had zero credit card debt. Also, I know federal loans can't be taken out over the school's estimated expenses. My particular school's estimate seems paltry at best...can private education loans be taken out to cover expenses above the estimated amount, or are these too capped off at what the school estimates?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
I'm going into B-school with no debt, save a leased car that I'll be making payments on for another year and a half or so. The payment isn't bad. I know it'll make things a little tighter budget-wise, but who's to know if I use part of my cost of living allowance from my loan to pay for my car (and save on, say, rent or something else)? Surely others have done this.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
bigfernhead wrote:
Has anyone tried to take a loan against their current mortgage to fund their education?

Assuming people still have enough home equity to borrow against, I think the downside to this is that you'd have to start making payments as soon as the loan is disbursed, whereas student loans you can generally defer payments until after graduation (interest still accrues during the deferral period).

I'm also going into school with a car lease, and will be making those payments out of personal savings. However, since money is fungible, I don't think anyone could ever track whether the payments for car-related expenses came from savings or from my loans.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1851 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
I'm going with the idea that you can take the loan out at the rate of financing for the home, which would be cheaper than the rate of loans for school....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
I'm going with the idea that you can take the loan out at the rate of financing for the home, which would be cheaper than the rate of loans for school....

Just remember that there is no grace period on home loans. You'll have to take out more to be able to make payments on the loan while in school.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19