Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink]
Kudos
semidevil wrote:
Since this is a Gmat forum, there might be some bias, but I want to survey your opinion.

Now there's an understatement. Of course we all think it's worth the money, otherwise why would we be applying?

More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now. But that's not the point, I'm not doing this for the promise of getting rich. I'm doing it for the experience - not just the education but the chance to spend 2 years with a group of incredibly smart, talented and interesting people, and I'm doing it for the chance to switch careers and do something I find more rewarding than what I do now.

So will I have to live more frugally after graduation while I pay off my student loans? Yes. Do I think $150,000 is too high a price to pay for a rewarding career? Not for a second. There's much more to being happy than having a lot of money.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I think a lot of people make the mistake of debating this question too long. They end up debating this question well into their late 20's and into 30's. That dramatically closes the window of opportunity to get into top programs.

Is a top bschool MBA or any MBA for that matter, worth the cost of attendance?

Well you got to compare the opportunity cost of continuing your professional career with a MBA or without MBA degree.

If you feel that you are in an industry where a MBA degree won't affect your future income, promotion and etc - then don't bother pursuing a MBA degree.

If you feel that you will regret later on in life if you don't pursue MBA now, then you should just close your eyes, shell out money for GMAT Prep, GMAT, and bschool application related expenses.

Bschools can charge what they charge because there's demand for the program. If there's demand, then there must be a reason behind those demands.

MBA degree is a degree that intends to teach you the science of business management, operation, philosophy, technicality, number-crunching, and better decision making. It's an opportunity for you to upgrade your skills through learning, collaboration, team work, and sharing.

David Brinkley, a late American television journalist, once said, "A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."

MBA degree will better prepare you to "lay a firm foundation with the bricks" that life can throw at you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
So will I have to live more frugally after graduation while I pay off my student loans? Yes. Do I think $150,000 is too high a price to pay for a rewarding career? Not for a second. There's much more to being happy than having a lot of money.

+1

Nicely put.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
[quote="Jerz"]More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now.[quote]

Will you be my new long lost uncle? Can I borrow $50k?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now. But that's not the point, I'm not doing this for the promise of getting rich. I'm doing it for the experience - not just the education but the chance to spend 2 years with a group of incredibly smart, talented and interesting people, and I'm doing it for the chance to switch careers and do something I find more rewarding than what I do now.

Exactly my situation and exactly my reasoning. +1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Jerz wrote:
More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now.

Will you be my new long lost uncle? Can I borrow $50k?
[/quote]

No problem, soni. I'll even give you the Jersey special and knock the vig down to 5 points a week. You can, of course, defer payments while you're in school, but the accrued interest will be capitalized.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
On a different note, can you, Jerz & rca215, recommend some good readings on business careers in healthcare? Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
On a different note, can you, Jerz & rca215, recommend some good readings on business careers in healthcare? Thanks!

Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't know of any sites/books that specifically discuss working in healthcare. For general (free) info on the healthcare industry - pharma/biotech in particular - I regularly peruse and subscribe to email lists at www.fiercepharma.com, www.fiercebiotech.com and www.biospace.com.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Paradosso wrote:

Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't know of any sites/books that specifically discuss working in healthcare. For general (free) info on the healthcare industry - pharma/biotech in particular - I regularly peruse and subscribe to email lists at https://www.fiercepharma.com, https://www.fiercebiotech.com and https://www.biospace.com.

Same here, I haven't read anything specific about working in the healthcare industry, the knowledge I have is from my time working with healthcare clients and talking to people in my firm's healthcare consulting practice. I did read Regina Herzlinger's "Who Killed Health Care?" and thought it a very good book about the challenges in the industry, but it's focused on the US market. You can also try Vault.com - I haven't read their healthcare industry guide, but have read other guides they've published and thought they were very good.

The Kellogg healthcare club also has links to a variety of health-related newsletters and sites:

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/stu ... links.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Paradosso:

Found this link to BU's careers guide from another thread in this forum.

https://management.bu.edu/careers/gradua ... folio.html

It includes a healthcare guide: https://management.bu.edu/gpo/fulltime/m ... tfolio.pdf
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92952 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts