Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: 2011 Application: Job Choice [#permalink]
rca215 wrote:
What do you see as the upward potential in your current role?

My current job is entirely process driven. I focus on operations finance (for marketing), but at this moment basically do discretionary, salary, marketing planning/reporting .

I do not see any exciting potential in my job. Usually those positions are left for MBA grad's and is mostly strategy.

My target schools are not set in stone, so I will probably pick and choose the schools that cater toward younger applicants.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
From what you've said, the Poland opportunity seems like a great one. I am not familiar with the pros and cons of working in a family business when it comes to business school admissions (other than the challenges of finding non-family recommenders), but the job itself definitely sounds like something that will provide more leadership experiences than your current position.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
jmtomasz wrote:
I do not see any exciting potential in my job. Usually those positions are left for MBA grad's and is mostly strategy.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that certain jobs should be written off or one should move on quickly because they are rather boring, not as important, or insignificant.

However, all experience (regardless of your current view) have value and this becomes clear once you begin your bschool application process. I've been tested by adcoms, interviewers, essay questions, and even by myself - about every aspect of my life in the last 10 years. After thorough analysis, I was able to piece together the puzzle and realized how much each moment of my life in the last 10 years helped me become who I am and it allowed me to succeed in current bschool application year.

There are many individuals in this forum with various backgrounds with amazing admit results. Some did it the traditional way (top scores, superb work experience etc), and others did it their own ways.

There's more than one way to get to where you want to go. Therefore, make the best of your current situation and don't write off a single experience. Because later on, every piece of your life puzzle will help and it will make sense to you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
I think perhaps you may be approaching this question a little bit backwards. Instead of making your job decision based on the perceived impact on a B-school application two years from now, I think you should look at it from the perspective of what would you enjoy doing more now. If you absolutely love your process driven job now, then there really is no need to change.

At the end of the day, when it is time for you to apply to B school, whenever that is, you are going to have to sell your story. It's a lot easier to sell a story that you believe in and are happy about, than, "I decided to go and work in Poland because I figured it would look better on a B school application". I completely agree with nink in that there is no one right way to get into a top B school. There is so much pure chance involved, that I wouldn't sacrifice my happiness today in hopes for getting into some top program two years from now.
GMAT Club Bot