Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 16:58 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 16:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink]
You probably had a lot more than 3 words to describe the interviewer. :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I was fully prepared for the standard MBA interview questions at one of my interviews and it was clear from the first question..."why the hell do you want an MBA right now?" that nothing about the interview was going to be standard.

Other questions from the same interivew: "your GPA is kinda lame do you think you could really cut it at xxx?" "since I graduated from xxx, over 12,000 students have been through the program, take the other top 10 schools and you've got close to 120,000...most of whom (cited multiple trends/statistics) are currently looking for a job right now. So, tell me again why the hell you want an MBA?" "how have you handled a difficult situation? And, don't give me the same crap you talked about in your essays." "Do you have money in savings? If so, why don't you buy into the company you've helped build instead of going to bschool?"

It was a very different approach but, somehow, I was able to roll with the punches and I got through it. He would have murdered anyone trying to enter the standard post-MBA job market.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
pguard wrote:
I was fully prepared for the standard MBA interview questions at one of my interviews and it was clear from the first question..."why the hell do you want an MBA right now?" that nothing about the interview was going to be standard.

Other questions from the same interivew: "your GPA is kinda lame do you think you could really cut it at xxx?" "since I graduated from xxx, over 12,000 students have been through the program, take the other top 10 schools and you've got close to 120,000...most of whom (cited multiple trends/statistics) are currently looking for a job right now. So, tell me again why the hell you want an MBA?" "how have you handled a difficult situation? And, don't give me the same crap you talked about in your essays." "Do you have money in savings? If so, why don't you buy into the company you've helped build instead of going to bschool?"

It was a very different approach but, somehow, I was able to roll with the punches and I got through it. He would have murdered anyone trying to enter the standard post-MBA job market.

I wonder how I would have reacted. "hell", "lame"...interesting!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
pguard wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Were these questions asked in a joking manner or was this more confrontational?
Current Student
Send PM
Confrontational. It actually worked out very well. For instance, I followed the lame comment by explaining that I spent the majority of one semester in the training room because I suffered a major injury...I told him it was funny that he used the word lame because I was "physically lame" and that brought my gpa down. followed by pointing out my gpa progression.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
i guess any school that uses the confrontational interview style on me will probably get rejected by me first, hahaha :P
Current Student
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
i guess any school that uses the confrontational interview style on me will probably get rejected by me first, hahaha :P

I think it was the interviewer's style...not the school's style. Felt more like an exec-level job interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
pguard wrote:
. Felt more like an exec-level job interview.

It takes a ridiculously unprofessional executive to say that something about the interviewee is lame.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
pguard wrote:

It takes a ridiculously unprofessional executive to say that something about the interviewee is lame.

agreed. That would reflect very poorly on a school if their interviewers interview like that (and it wasn't the school's intention to).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
pguard wrote:

Agreed this definitely reflects on the school. I once had quite a similar experience at a job interview and after the interview I just walked out not bothering to attend the next rounds. Confrontational tone that too with a lot of negativity is just demeaning.

-pradeep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
As the topic says. Just wondering what the toughest or interesting question you've had so far. Not after an interview review, looking for anecdotal experiences and how you handled the question.

Probably the toughest question i had so far, was from HKUST -
Can't remember the exact question but it goes along the lines of :-

"You're 33 with no financial background so unlikely to be recruited by i-banks, can't speak Mandarin so are competing against people who can for marketing, consulting and management jobs, what type of career opportunities do you think you have in Hong Kong?"

Was a toughie due to its negative slant. I talked about my international experience and the globalisation of companies.

Most Interesting was from NUS -
"Economically, how do you see India and China in 30 years time?"

I focused on China and it's historical GDP in terms of ratio to world GDP. Then brought in the opium wars and cultural revolution to explain the downturn, and how the upturn in GDP should allow it to eventually reach its historical ratio based on the premise of political stability and improved infrastructure and population. I also transferred the last 3 criteria to explain that India also has the same potential.

Probably should have cited post-second world war Japan as an example of a country which developed quickly to become an economic superpower. In fact 19th century Japan is a good example as it was closed off to the world for over 100 hundred years, thereby missing the industrial revolution in the west. After it's ports were re-opened by the Americans for trade, they advanced so quickly to become a military superpower in the region.

u should have said that people in hong kong dont speak mandarin as well but cantonese. they dont understand each other, saw it with my own eyes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
Not mine, but a friend was asked, "What are the two places you would like to work after your MBA and why?"

Naming the two places weren't that hard for him, but I think justifying it in a manner that sells himself as an appealing MBA candidate was a little trickier.

I would have chosen London (for personal reasons) and Vancouver (for professional reasons)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
spiridon wrote:

u should have said that people in hong kong dont speak mandarin as well but cantonese. they dont understand each other, saw it with my own eyes

Actually, most university educated people in Hong Kong speak Mandarin perfectly fine. It's the less educated who don't.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
spiridon wrote:

Actually, most university educated people in Hong Kong speak Mandarin perfectly fine. It's the less educated who don't.

I met several highly educated ppl from HK and neither one understood mandarin. They stick with cantonese and english.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2