Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 22:32 It is currently 02 May 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 690 (36Q 47V) -> 730 (44Q 47V) -> disappointed. advice? [#permalink]
thanks both for the feedback and encouragement.

I'm still a bit skeptical of my chances, and it does feel like my GMAT score is the thing I'm best in a position to improve at this point. as a recent grad trying to enter the nonprofit world (where there are fewer entry-level and career development programs than in consulting or i-banking), I've had trouble finding meaningful work, and am currently working in a job I don't enjoy very much. I am a program associate with an entrepreneurial educational non-profit (we act as a match-maker between low income high school students and top colleges), and don't have very many leadership opportunities. I've been trying to make the most of the position and to create opportunities for myself to take on independent projects, while also taking on additional volunteer positions and looking for better employment options, but it's been tough. the jobs just don't seem to be there, at least not for someone with so little work experience. considering that I don't feel like I'm getting what I want to be getting out of my professional life, I am really anxious to go back to school, as I feel it might be a more efficient path to gaining good experiences and finding a more engaging job. (I'm also very interested in starting an organization of some kind, and crave the management education.)

so I have heard that there are a few key factors that go into admitting applicants to business schools: 1. work experience (and, for younger applicants, undergraduate GPA), 2. GMAT score, 3. essays/explanation of reasons for wanting to attend, 4. employer recommendations, interviews and all the other little extras that go into an application. given that I feel I have little control over #1 and to some extent #4, I guess my instinct is to try and compensate with my GMAT score. I had hoped to get a really top score (and thought I was capable of achieving one), so that admissions officers would be willing to overlook my thin resume. I guess I should probably give up that dream now, and move on to working on #3. I have started to do some research on the schools I am interested in, and am trying to do some serious thinking about what I really want to get out of an MBA. hopefully, I will be able to craft an essay that will wow them even when other parts of my application might not.

anyway, spiridon, thanks so much for the lemonade analogy -- made me laugh out loud, and really helped me to feel better (though I doubt that I am really such a "unique" candidate). and lsuguy7, I will try to take your advice and start thinking about my essays and trying to shake off the 3.2 GPA. thanks again to both of you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Start going through the B-School application forum. You'll see people with high 600 gmats getting into every school they apply to and people with 760+ getting dings all over the place. You've got to ask yourself when you get into bschool and you're reading these applications if you'll put more weight in a 760 than a 730.

If you have a clear reason why you want an MBA now, and why xyz school is the perfect fit for you, and you can speak passionately about your post MBA goals you'll be better off than most.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: general
Schools:Emory
Send PM
i think we should all have a pity party because you scored a 730..................
Intern
Intern
Send PM
embrya2k, my goal in writing this post was not to inspire people to take pity on me, but rather to get constructive advice from people who are going through a similar process. I realize that most people who received the same score would be very happy with it; I tried to explain in both of my posts why I am not. on top of all of the reasons that I described in those posts, I think anyone can understand that it is frustrating to feel that you have worked hard, yet still underperformed. (Objectively speaking, improving from the 48th percentile to the 70th percentile in quant is a positive change, but it certainly isn't going to win me prizes with admissions committees.) of course, I know that there are people who have an even more difficult time with the GMAT, but I didn't think that meant I could not also share my disappointments and ask for advice on my next steps. anyway, though I wish you might have contributed something more useful to this discussion, I do appreciate your reading my post, and taking the time to respond.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Kudos
black, female, 3.2, harvard, 730...

you do not need to retake the GMAT.

you may or may not get into Stanford with 1 year experience. if you don't, it will not be because of your gmat score. I say unless you write a utterly stupid essay you have a 75% chance of admission on stats alone

If you don't get in, you only need to do one thing... wait a few years and reapply. If you had 4 yrs experience right now you could go to any elite school you want with 99% certainty. I am dead serious.

couple more things:
- 44Q is within your range of performance, especially considering your earlier 36Q. I don't think it is rational to expect a 49Q, i.e. you probably didn't really underperform. I would say 45Q should have been your target and you achieved it. what if you retake and get 40Q? Move on.

- GMAT is not even that important for ultra-elites. Stanford averages 720, therefore them choosing between a 730 vs 770 makes no difference to them. Even statistically it makes no difference. absolutely none. do the math, you can't alter their average.

- reapplying to the same school later is challenging because you have to specifically answer what you have done to improve your profile. at the same time, it won't be that hard for you, you will have spent that time working and getting more experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Tarmac....would you say it looks good if you know you do not have XYZ school adm stats yet, but apply anyway, with the intention of re-applying later with a stronger app..I would assume it makes you look dedicated to come back, more focused, etc....then there is some basis to judge your progress...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
spgny wrote:
Tarmac....would you say it looks good if you know you do not have XYZ school adm stats yet, but apply anyway, with the intention of re-applying later with a stronger app..I would assume it makes you look dedicated to come back, more focused, etc....then there is some basis to judge your progress...

no, unless you are a Black woman Harvard graduate with a 730 GMAT
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
I think you should be proud of going from the 48th percentile to the 70th percentile. With more time, I'm sure you could bring it up further, but your GMAT score is already at or above the median score for accepted students at any program. 730 is a great score and will be looked on favourably!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tarmac, I really appreciate your comments -- exactly the sort of concrete feedback I was looking for. am especially grateful for the explanation of the dynamic surrounding reapplying to schools that have previously rejected you (and thanks to spgny for asking the clarification question). this forum has been an amazing source of information and advice. for now, I think I will shift my focus to the business school application section, where I will be seeking info on b-schools with a strong international and/or social entrepreneurship focus. and to embrya2k and others, don't worry, that's all the whining I will be doing around here for a while!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
Good luck, Kelli, I know you will do well. It's time for you to "graduate" to the B-school Application forum. :P Seriously, I predict you will get into Stanford.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37351 posts