Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 03:33 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 03:33
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73512 [0]
Given Kudos: 19074
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1599 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 610 (Q 46 V28) I blew it in verbal- out of time [#permalink]
Accountant wrote:
I totally agree that I need to improve my reading habits to improve reading comprehension. However, this will take more than a month. I want to take this test no later again no later than 60 days. Is it not advisable to attempt it in the next 60 days?

Since I took each GMAT prep eight times, I was scoring consistenly between 730 and 770 after the first four attempts. Obviously, you cannot rely on this score because you have seen most of the questions. This is specially true for verbal where I struggled the most. But I was hoping to reach the target of minimum 650.

Now that my confidence is shattered, I am not sure if I can reach 650 within the next 60 days. Is there anybody who has done this? Can you let me know what other books to use and what other CATS to take? The books I have not gone through for verbal are Kaplan verbal and MGMAT reading comprehension. Should I get these? Sorry if am bothering anybody by asking too many questions.

Sorry to hear about your score. I think the minimum times allowed to retake the GMAT again is in 31 days. I think if you try to improve your quant more, you will hit 650. Quant will be relatively easier to improve than verbal. My previous GMAT was 660 with Q50 and V28. However, since I am trying to break 700, so I definitely have to improve verbal.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
eileen1017 wrote:
Accountant wrote:
I totally agree that I need to improve my reading habits to improve reading comprehension. However, this will take more than a month. I want to take this test no later again no later than 60 days. Is it not advisable to attempt it in the next 60 days?

Since I took each GMAT prep eight times, I was scoring consistenly between 730 and 770 after the first four attempts. Obviously, you cannot rely on this score because you have seen most of the questions. This is specially true for verbal where I struggled the most. But I was hoping to reach the target of minimum 650.

Now that my confidence is shattered, I am not sure if I can reach 650 within the next 60 days. Is there anybody who has done this? Can you let me know what other books to use and what other CATS to take? The books I have not gone through for verbal are Kaplan verbal and MGMAT reading comprehension. Should I get these? Sorry if am bothering anybody by asking too many questions.

Sorry to hear about your score. I think the minimum times allowed to retake the GMAT again is in 31 days. I think if you try to improve your quant more, you will hit 650. Quant will be relatively easier to improve than verbal. My previous GMAT was 660 with Q50 and V28. However, since I am trying to break 700, so I definitely have to improve verbal.

I agree with Eileen.

It does sound from stories on this site that 700 is an easy target but it is not - it takes hours and days and months of directed effort on all levels. (I am not saying you have not done it). And for some people it takes twice as much to get that done. There is definitely hope - I have gone from 540 to 750 in 3 months, so don't see a reason you could go from 610 to 680 in one.

My only argument is to reason logically - You have gone through all of the Kaplan and MGMAT material - unless you feel you missed a part of it and need to review again, there are no hidden strategies left. If your verbal is weak - you have to improve it and the best way I found so far is reading. If you read a page a day, then yes - you will need years, but I don't see any reason one could not read through 1K pages in a month, which is a good starting point. You have to invest time and approach it on all fronts - work with error logs, analyze your mistakes, and yes - read.

That's my advice for verbal. You can keep trying to come up with a strategy to cut corners, but ultimately to get the score you need, you need to get the verbal up and to do that, you have to be able to read efficiently.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
according to ur post, u have the strength to score around ur target 680. u have to manage to stay calm next time, thats a big portion of ur test score. practice speed in verbal and u should be fine next time

btw i went from 540 to 690 in 45 days

however, dont know why i scored 540 the first time, ihad an impression i did great so the score was pretty shocking. so its not really that i improved a lot, i guess just had a bad day or whatever
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks BB, Eileen and Spiridon.

I think I agree with BB. It is obvious that I will continue to struggle with verbal unless I make some fundamental changes. I have picked up "The Fountain Head" by Ayn Rand. I will not take the next GMAT until I finish at least 10 books.

I thought that 650 hours of study would be enough for GMAT. But I forgot that most people who score good in verbal have better foundations in English grammar and reading comprehension. GMAT was my first test with reading comprehension and critical reasoning questions. So obviously I have to make up for the lost opportunities of SATs, APs etc and bad reading habits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Read the Economist..as you read the articles, make mental notes about content, tone, etc....IMO this is the best available source for complex, dense info, passages to the average person...

Editorials from WSJ, FT, NYT, etc...are also great practice since they are about the size of GMAT RC passage
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks spgny. I have been reading "Business Weekly" and "Time" magazine regularly. I don't have a problem with any articles in financial magazines as I am in Finance. But when I read RC from GMAT, GRE, LSAT etc. on unfamiliar subjects like science, history, literature etc. I find it very hard to absorb and understand. My mind just wanders off. This is the main the reason I get main idea/point questions wrong. I am using RC on this website and GRE books in addition to reading more. Hopefully, it will help me.

Many thanks for support from all of you.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Accountant wrote:
Thanks BB, Eileen and Spiridon.

I think I agree with BB. It is obvious that I will continue to struggle with verbal unless I make some fundamental changes. I have picked up "The Fountain Head" by Ayn Rand. I will not take the next GMAT until I finish at least 10 books.

I thought that 650 hours of study would be enough for GMAT. But I forgot that most people who score good in verbal have better foundations in English grammar and reading comprehension. GMAT was my first test with reading comprehension and critical reasoning questions. So obviously I have to make up for the lost opportunities of SATs, APs etc and bad reading habits.

:) That's quit a book for starters but a great price per page. I hope you enjoy it - many people do.
If you find that you are getting burnt out, switch to Steinbeck books - they are expensive but fun and entertaining (to me at least)

P.S. verbal will catch up with you sooner or later (e.g. business school reading, professional memo writing, etc) better have it handled early and right than limp all the way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Accountant wrote:
Thanks spgny. I have been reading "Business Weekly" and "Time" magazine regularly. I don't have a problem with any articles in financial magazines as I am in Finance. But when I read RC from GMAT, GRE, LSAT etc. on unfamiliar subjects like science, history, literature etc. I find it very hard to absorb and understand. My mind just wanders off. This is the main the reason I get main idea/point questions wrong. I am using RC on this website and GRE books in addition to reading more. Hopefully, it will help me.

Many thanks for support from all of you.

I hear you, I am in Finance also, with a CFA charter, so I am used to reading research reports etc..
However, the Economist has science, literature, sections that resemble RC in complex concepts, etc...Even though they usually do not interest me, I read them for GMAT practice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37587 posts