Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 18:57 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 18:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Re: low gpa + masters? [#permalink]
I actually took the classes route to mitigate my GPA. While I got my BS in Engineering, I worked in consulting and a MS in Engineering didn't make sense given my type of work/availability. I took a total of 7 Accounting/Finance courses through a reputable extension program. This was more convenient because the classes could be online/on weekends, and the professors understood that most people were working professionals and were lenient and understanding about deadlines.

However, I must disclaim that I took these courses because my company would pay for them and I wanted the additional knowledge to help me perform my job better. I was going to continue to get a Certificate, but they stopped paying for them and I didn't find any more courses that would fit my travel schedule.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
I don't know why but reading this thread is making me worry (especially since I paid my deposit for LBS's MiM today). I had a low GPA in my undergrad, and now have less than a year's work experience and I am hell bent on getting a Masters to change geography, job function , earning potential etc... all the while hoping that the job post-LBS would be good enough to let me save for an MBA AND the MiM would give some positive signals to the adcom when I apply for MBA. I know you guys are giving out your experiences but could someone elaborate whether they feel all Masters are a relatively 'not-so-good' idea or would you rather pin down certain types of Masters?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
MJ,

What are you planning on getting your Masters in? Speaking only for myself, the masters degree that is right for me is a MBA. I didn't feel I wanted to take my career into the paths that a MS in Engineering would have opened. It really depends on what you want to do. For some people, having a technical MS along with a MBA is absolutely the right decision because it will open doors that would normally be limited to one or the others. Many technology companies want their executives to highly technical people themselves. An example as river can probably elaborate on is Energy companies hiring MBAs with UG Engineering degrees. For others, it may not be really useful to have the MS; career switchers are an example of this.

I would say if you want to do a Masters in something, and want to work in a tangentially related field, by all means I would say its worth it for you. All IMHO, of course. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
unhedged,

Now I feel somewhat even worse, because I am planning to get my Masters in Management from LBS which is anything but tangential to a MBA, later on!! :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
MJ2009 wrote:
I don't know why but reading this thread is making me worry (especially since I paid my deposit for LBS's MiM today). I had a low GPA in my undergrad, and now have less than a year's work experience and I am hell bent on getting a Masters to change geography, job function , earning potential etc... all the while hoping that the job post-LBS would be good enough to let me save for an MBA AND the MiM would give some positive signals to the adcom when I apply for MBA. I know you guys are giving out your experiences but could someone elaborate whether they feel all Masters are a relatively 'not-so-good' idea or would you rather pin down certain types of Masters?

I think you mistook what we were talking about. We were mainly focusing on getting a masters to solely alieviate UG GPA. In which case I personally thought it was much more work than needed. But even if I was to get admitted I would still try to finish my masters because it's a bonus to have. I can't imagine when a masters is a bad thing, just if you are trying to add a couple courses to boost you GPA, taking graduate level courses is a little over the top.

Another note is that I was very fortunate that my work covered 100% of the tuition and books, otherwise it would have been 30,000 dollars vs like 2K for same amount of accounting courses.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the insight.

MJ - I think doing an MiM to help with your career is a fine idea. Your challenge will be explaining why even after an MiM, you need an MBA. I don't think it will keep you out of mba programs or anything like that, it will just mean your story for why you want an MBA will have to be tighter.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1687 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
MJ once you have that MiM from LBS, you will already benefit from many aspects of an MBA - such as networking, brand on the resume etc. Heck with the job opportunities post MiM you may realise that you dont need an MBA in the future. However, if you did decide to take on an MBA in a few years time, that MiM would give the ad-com a certain level of reassurance that this candidate can tackle the businessy stuff. Its like getting a BBA from Wharton or another top ugrad b-school, becuase you wont be covering the entire range of electives that the MBA covers, but you will gain a solid core foundation along with great networks.

The root question on this thread was about non-commerce / finance oriented Masters (I think).

MJ2009 wrote:
unhedged,

Now I feel somewhat even worse, because I am planning to get my Masters in Management from LBS which is anything but tangential to a MBA, later on!! :?
GMAT Club Bot