Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [20]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: Potential sticky? Approach for specific problem types? [#permalink]
wonderful idea ... may be one day we can publish it as a book for rival MGMAT :D .. just kidding .. but super duper idea. It will really help everyone on the forum

Kudos to you
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [4]
Send PM
Re: The post your strategies here thread [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Critical Reasoning (CR) Strategy:

Quote:
Critical Reasoning (CR) Strategy:

The more difficult CR questions tend to have more vague answers. That being said, you can still usually knock off two or three of the answer choices. This is the process that has worked for me:

DO NOT read the information first. Skip down and read the question (i.e. Which of these if true would seriously weaken the argument of X).

Now read the stem. Make note if any parts are bold.

Re-read the question after reading the information.

On your testing center provided pad - list out the answer choices. Next, as you read the answer choices, list how the answer choice addresses the question at hand. Use some form of shorthand to get your notes down quick.

i.e.
+ - na - na
A B C D E

If the above example corresponds to a question that is asking which choice strengthens, your answer is A. If it is asking which answer choice weakens, you will select between B and D.

Using this method will help you establish a streamlined method of approach.

Remember, on standardized tests, there isn't always a "right" answer. With these more subjective questions, your goal is to identify the "best" answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Send PM
Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink]
Kudos
Reading Comprehension - Active Reading

Quote:
Reading Comprehension - Active Reading

One of the biggest complaints people have coming out of a conversation: the person didn't listen to me (i.e. the other person is not an active listener). The same rule applies for reading comprehension, you need to become an active reader to do well on the GMAT.

Rehashing what you just read to someone else is one way of improving your active reading skills. It can be done using any publication.

Example: After reading the newspaper, try to remember some of the headlines.
Example: Two weeks after finishing a book, explain to someone else in 20 words or less what the book is about.
Example: After reading a thesis or research paper, recall both the things you liked about the paper and the things you disliked about the paper.

The question writers on the GMAT ALWAYS have answers that play with your mind. An answer might be verbatim from the passagevand you might think the answer is too obvious. An answer might say all the correct things, but it throws in an "always" or "never" (it's rare that a CR or RC correct option uses extreme words).

Remember, your goal here is to find the "best" answer. It might not be the right answer you thought of, but it's still the best answer.

Something else that works for some people:

Taking notes while reading passages works for some people. The goal behind taking notes is to help you retain key points from the passage and know what information is where (avoid re-reading the entire passage).

The goal is to have one to three sentences per paragraph, with the number of sentences depending on how long each paragraph is and how much information is in each paragraph. The sentences should be high level points (don't write down specific details. i.e. how do you summarize the paragraph into one or two sentences.). This requires a bit of practice, but it also helps you become an active reader.

Another point is taking notes while reading helps some people retain information. By actually writing things down, you can force yourself to process process the information over a longer period of time.

I don't buy into the strategies of:
Skimming, short reading, hunting for key words, etc.

What it boils down to is retaining key information after completing a passage. This will help you answer easier questions, while providing you enough detail to know where to find answer to more difficult question. Best of all, you avoid re-reading the entire passage.

When analyzing the answers, the same strategy used for CR can be used here:

Quote:
On your testing center provided pad - list out the answer choices. Next, as you read the answer choices, list how the answer choice addresses the question at hand. Use some form of shorthand to get your notes down quick.

i.e.
+ - na - na
A B C D E

The short hand here might mean something else. + might support the author's main point, and - might counter it. Just as with CR questions, make sure the answer selection is actually answering the question at hand.

Time management is key throughout the entire exam. Other questions you may have more flexibility with (length of argument stem, short SC problem, etc.), but with reading comprehension, you still need to average 2 mins/problem including reading the passage.

Originally posted by mohater on 23 Jul 2009, 12:10.
Last edited by mohater on 05 Aug 2009, 07:13, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm seeing a lot of page views, but I would like to know if people are finding this beneficial.

If so, I'll keep working on it.

If not (and/or no one responds) I'll stop.

Let me know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Oh no .. please do not do that. We are finding it beneficial.. Im also including your tips in my daily routine and adding them to my notes. Please continue the super duper work
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quant: General strategies

Quote:
Quant: General Strategies

Many people struggle on the quant section for various reasons. Some of the most notable are as follows:

-Lack of time management (problem the #1 reason people struggle on quant)
-Lack of review/understanding of rules of Algebra (i.e. when you CAN NOT divide by a variable in a quadratic because you might eliminate 0 as an option).
-Word translation
-Lack of understanding of number properties (even/odd, cross multiple, positive/negative, etc.)
-Lack of understand of overlapping sets (Venn diagram) or rate/work problems
-Lack of conversion understanding (tens to tenth, 1x10e^, gram-> kilogram, etc.)
- etc.

Hopefully this post will provide some simple rules to apply across all problems.

1. ALWAYS write everything down. Setting up quant problems is key for the following reasons:
- Ensures you are on the right track to solve for the unknowns needed to solve the problem
- Helps you eliminate obvious incorrect answers (if some are positive and some are negative, by setting up you should know if the answer is positive or negative).
- Creates a systematic pattern for problem approach. Helps streamline problems.

2. The knowns are NOT always clearly stated in the problem. When you write the information down, you can extrapolate the remaining knowns (i.e. complementary/supplementary angles, measurements of embedded angles, lengths of sides, etc.)

3. DON'T PANIC. If you become flustered with a problem - WATCH YOUR TIME. Do NOT let a single problem take up five minutes.

4. Spot check your work as needed. When doing practice problems, check your time and check your approach. This will tell you how often you will need to spot check your work.

5. SLOW DOWN when setting up problems. It's VERY easy to miss a negative sign, or misread a problem and then become very frustrated as none of the options match your answer. Setting up the problem is key to ensure you approach the problem in an appropriate and timely manner.

6. ???

I will edit this post as needed.

Originally posted by mohater on 27 Jul 2009, 13:15.
Last edited by mohater on 30 Jul 2009, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Quant: Geometry
Quote:

Quant: Geometry

Unless you are well versed in proofs and algebra, geometry requires a decent amount of memorization + application of memorized rules. There is no way around this.

That being said, there are things you can focus on which can help target what you need to memorize and can extrapolate out to other problems.

General things to memorize:
-General concepts of circles (area, circumference, embedded angles, etc)
-General concepts of triangles (area, rules for leg length, etc.)
-Rules for special triangles(isosceles and equilateral) <-- KEY TO MEMORIZE. Also make sure you understand the rules for triangles embedded in circles
-General concepts for all polygons ( (# sides-2)*180= measure of inner angles, rules of sides, angles, relation to triangles, etc.)
-How to calculate surface area for 3 dimensional figures
-How to calculate volume for 3 dimensional figures
- Supplementary/Complementary angles
-(others)?

Some problems will only give you variables and the answers will only have variables. You can work through with the variables to come to an answer, the problem is the GMAT writers usually simplify the problem as much as possible and sometimes certain steps are not so "obvious". The only real workaround for this is to plug in numbers. You can ONLY plug in numbers that do NOT violate the rules for the figure in question (i.e. triangle rule: the sum of two legs of a triangle MUST be longer than the third leg). If you use numbers that do not adhere to the rules, you WILL be VERY frustrated with the problems.

The key here is practice the concepts, and then do review problems to apply the concepts. You may have to go back to tactics used in school to help you retain the information (flash cards, notes read throughout the day, etc.). Some of the problems on the real test will mix figures/rules and you will need to be able to figure out what is what.

Originally posted by mohater on 30 Jul 2009, 10:14.
Last edited by mohater on 05 Aug 2009, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Great work. I'm rooting to make this sticky.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Would some other people please post feedback please?

This thread is getting a lot of page views, but I want to make sure people who have taken the test agree with the above (these strategies work).

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I really like this thread, its quite helpful
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
 Q39  V28
Send PM
Good job mohater! It is absolutely helpful. Please keep updating.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quant: Word translations

Quote:
Quant: Word translations

If you're not an engineer by trade (or some other things that practice word translations), this might be a struggle for you. If you took advanced math or advanced applied science (physics/chemistry) during university days, these will be much easier.

The key for word translation problems is writing everything down and then plugging in the right values/symbols for the words in question.

Example found using Google:

Quote:
In used car lot, there are three times as many red cars as green cars. If tomorrow 12 green cars are sold and 3 red cars are added,then there will be 6 times as many red cars as green cars. How many green cars are currently in the lot?

Note: There are three times as many red cars as green cars. This means there are MORE red cars, thus the multiplier should be next to the lower value (green cars).

Identify your variables (this doesn't need to be written down, but make sure variables are kept straight).

r = red cars
g = green cars

First sentence translated: r = 3g
Second sentence translated: 6(g-12) = r+3

Two different equations, two variables. Substitute in and solve.

6(g-12) = r + 3
Substitute 3g for r
6g - 72 = 3g + 3
Isolate the variable
6g - 72 (+72 - 3g) = 3g + 3 (-3g + 72)
=
3g = 75
g = 25

Granted this is an easy problem, but the approach is the same every time:

Write down your known and work to solve the problem.

I will revisit this post for rate problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Nice, kudos to you mohater. Lots of views just mean lots of people are learning new strategy (or refreshing their memory).

Keep up the good work!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
For word translation problems you need lots of practice. They kill your time. You need to know how to solve them there and then otherwise they will suck you in and before you know it 5 mins have passed.

My thoughts anyway.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Aztec wrote:
For word translation problems you need lots of practice. They kill your time. You need to know how to solve them there and then otherwise they will suck you in and before you know it 5 mins have passed.

My thoughts anyway.

I completely agree.

As stated in the first post, these strategies are in no way a replacement for understanding the content or cutting short on practice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
This is awesome mohatar!!!

please if you have more stgies please keep posting them!!!

thank you,

gilad

p.s. - make this "sticky"
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I'm tapped out of strategies at the moment.

Verbal really seems to be the place where strategies can supplement the material. In quant, the focus really needs to be on the general concepts and problem solving skills. Solid problem solving skills will be your biggest asset on the quant section as the problems are designed to trip you up and improperly approach the problem (quadratic, word translations, exponential, etc.).

Also, content should always trump strategies when it comes to priorities. Anyone can focus on time management and only allocate an average of ~2 mins/problem. If you're spending too much time on each problem, a different approach is probably warranted.

I'll add more posts if I find other things or figure other things out.

I hope this was beneficial to everyone.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2