Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [10]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance & Entrepreneurship
Schools:NYU, NUS, ISB, DUKE, ROSS, DARDEN
 Q50  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink]
samrus98 wrote:
I would like to share some tips & strategies that might prove to be useful while preparing and attempting the mocks as well as the GMAT:

1) Make sure no question is left unattempted as you will be heavily penalized for doing so. Its better to randomly mark an answer if you are pressed for time than leaving it unmarked.

2) Its common knowledge that first few questions are more important. In order to take advantage of this piece of information, spend more time on the first 15 questions, say an avg of 2.5 min per question. Spending that extra time on the first few questions will more or less fix your score band - this is what is meant by CAT.
Once the band is fixed i.e. once your level has been set by the computer, you will have to work really hard to change that level by either getting questions wrong continuously or getting them right continuously.

3) Even if there are 15 questions remaining and you have just 15 min to go, do not panic. Since your band has already been decided by the computer, in order to stay in that band all you have to do is make sure that you dont make too many continuous mistakes. Hence, for every 3 questions that you solve 'properly', mark the 4th question randomly and move ahead. This will make sure your mistakes are well dispersed and will also help you manage your time.
BUT YOU SHOULD TRY AND ENSURE THAT YOU DON'T LAND UP IN SUCH A TIME CRUNCH!!

4) The importance of first few questions in each section has been emphasized enough everywhere. Although its not proven, it might be beneficial to remember that the initial 4-5 questions of each subsection in Verbal and Quant are also important in deciding your score band. So give extra time to the first few questions of each of the 5 subsections, irrespective of how late or early they figure in the test.

5) Maintain an error log of all the questions you solve and make a note of the mistakes you made. Even for the questions you get right, make sure that you read the solution and check whether the reasoning used by you is correct.

6) Make your own SC notes. Maybe for PS too. Your own consolidated notes along with the error log proves very handy at the time of revision.

7) a) Revise Manhattan SC Guide at least 3 times
b) Revisit OG questions at least once
c) Take GMATPREP tests 1 & 2 at least 2 times each

8) Make use of the scratch pad that is made available at the test center. I used it while eliminating the options. I used to make a table as follows and mark a cross against the options that I have already eliminated:
A B C D E
1 x x x x
I also used the scratch pad to write down the gist of each para in an RC passage.

9)
a) Do not try to plan your strategies around the 11 experimental questions (these are not scored) that are present in each of the 2 GMAT sections as there is no way of knowing which are experimental and which are not. Don't assume that a question must be experimental and won't be score just because it seems too tough.
b) Do not assume that you are doing well (not doing well) when you see (don't see) Boldface questions or Probability/PnC questions on the test.

10) Prepare a list of 15 schools you would want to send your scores to. Depending upon how much you score you may then select the final 5 schools and save 17$ * 5 = 85$

PS: Some members have requested me to share my SC notes on the forum. Thus, I have attached the pdf at the end of this post! Hope it proves to be beneficial...

Hats off kudos to you samrus98......this is neat......i am happy i found this site so early in my prep....looks like it will be time well spent!
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
samrus98 wrote:
2) Its common knowledge that first few questions are more important. In order to take advantage of this piece of information, spend more time on the first 15 questions, say an avg of 2.5 min per question. Spending that extra time on the first few questions will more or less fix your score band - this is what is meant by CAT.
Once the band is fixed i.e. once your level has been set by the computer, you will have to work really hard to change that level by either getting questions wrong continuously or getting them right continuously.

3) Even if there are 15 questions remaining and you have just 15 min to go, do not panic. Since your band has already been decided by the computer, in order to stay in that band all you have to do is make sure that you dont make too many continuous mistakes. Hence, for every 3 questions that you solve 'properly', mark the 4th question randomly and move ahead. This will make sure your mistakes are well dispersed and will also help you manage your time.
BUT YOU SHOULD TRY AND ENSURE THAT YOU DON'T LAND UP IN SUCH A TIME CRUNCH!!

4) The importance of first few questions in each section has been emphasized enough everywhere. Although its not proven, it might be beneficial to remember that the initial 4-5 questions of each subsection in Verbal and Quant are also important in deciding your score band. So give extra time to the first few questions of each of the 5 subsections, irrespective of how late or early they figure in the test.

I really disagree with the above. It's very possible to move your band up after the first 5-6 questions.

You don't know what problems are experimental and what problems are graded. Out of your first five questions, it's entirely possible two EXTREMELY difficult ones are experimental and thus you just wasted a lot of valuable time on questions that are not applicable to your score.

I tried this strategy on my first attempt at the GMAT and scored a 610. I abandoned that strategy and went to an average of ~2/mins fixed, and scored 710.

The exam might throw lower banded questions at you even if you're in the 700 to 800 range. If you answer those problems incorrectly due to time constraints, your score will drop more by missing easy problems than by missing more difficult problems.

It is VERY easy to crash and burn at the end of a test.

Kaplan and Princeton both teach the focus on the early problem strategy. Other programs teach to fix on an average time spent per problem.

Sameer,

Your attachment has copy right info in it. Unless you have the rights to publish that info from the various sources, I suggest you remove the attachment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance & Entrepreneurship
Schools:NYU, NUS, ISB, DUKE, ROSS, DARDEN
 Q50  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mohater
I must say its a wonderful initiative that you have taken to consolidate all the strategies in one place!!

Please find my explanation inline with your reply:

I really disagree with the above. It's very possible to move your band up after the first 5-6 questions.
Absolutely right! That is why I feel instead of giving importance to just the first 5-6 questions, one should give importance AND MORE TIME to the first 15 questions.

You don't know what problems are experimental and what problems are graded. Out of your first five questions, it's entirely possible two EXTREMELY difficult ones are experimental and thus you just wasted a lot of valuable time on questions that are not applicable to your score.
I couldn't agree more.....but since there isnt a way of identifying which question is experimental and which isnt, its best to avoid planning strategies around them.

I tried this strategy on my first attempt at the GMAT and scored a 610. I abandoned that strategy and went to an average of ~2/mins fixed, and scored 710.
Well 2 min per question sounds like a clean and simple strategy but it actually doesnt take advantage of what we know about the CAT exam ie first few questions are MORE important than the later questions.

The exam might throw lower banded questions at you even if you're in the 700 to 800 range. If you answer those problems incorrectly due to time constraints, your score will drop more by missing easy problems than by missing more difficult problems.
I disagree. Once the exam fixes your band, the questions do not affect your score as much, else the purpose of the CAT algorithm gets defeated.
Also once the exam fixes your band, it chooses questions from a pool containing questions suitable for that band. Thus any question from that band SHOULD affect score in a FIXED way.
What I mean to say is that the exam will not throw lower pool questions at you if you are in a higher range, but it might throw certain questions which you or I find easy but others find tough coz of our relative strengths and weaknesses. Even though some found the question easy while some others didnt, the fact would still be that the question came from the same pool and thus will affect the score in a way that is same for any question from that band.

Sameer,
Your attachment has copy right info in it. Unless you have the rights to publish that info from the various sources, I suggest you remove the attachment.

Thanks for pointing out......will edit it and post it again.

Cheers
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Folks,

The locked master strategy thread has been posted:

best-gmat-strategy-thread-no-discussion-82453.html

Please continue to post/discuss strategies here. I will update the strategy master thread as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi mohater,

Please keep posting these useful strategies. Its a great help.

Also please help me with this doubt ::
Yesterday I encountered a quant problem(PR test) in which I was made to convert Feet to Yards to come to the final answer. This was a surprise because never earlier I have encountered such situation. Does it mean one needs to memorize such CONVERSIONS ?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Saaquib wrote:
Hi mohater,

Please keep posting these useful strategies. Its a great help.

Also please help me with this doubt ::
Yesterday I encountered a quant problem(PR test) in which I was made to convert Feet to Yards to come to the final answer. This was a surprise because never earlier I have encountered such situation. Does it mean one needs to memorize such CONVERSIONS ?

Hello Saaquib,

I have not encountered such a conversion on any practice questions or on the real test (on both attempts).

Were you provided the conversion on this problem?

I wouldn't worry too much about these conversions (unless you see questions like that on GMATprep). Focus on the most common conversions (see in the quant forum and listed in the quant strategy section here/the master thread).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
I found this strategy to be useful for plugging in numbers

suppose the questions asks u something like this

Q) x+ 70 = 100 then what is x ?

A) 10
B) 25
c) 30
d) 20
e) 15

I normally pick up the middle value i.e. 20 and plug in and see

20+70 = 90 so I need a number larger than 20 so I would eliminate the rest and plug in only 25 and 30

I am just giving the simplest of examples, but in more complicated cases this was quite useful for me.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
The picking #s strategy can work, but it does not usually bode well on higher ranked problems (600+).

Jeff Sackmann (Author of Gmathacks GMAT verbal/quant Bible) has a write up on the matter:
https://www.gmathacks.com/math-strategy/ ... mbers.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Mohater - great thread. Keep em coming!

I firmly believe that Number picking , espc in DS number properties & inequalities are black holes as far as time goes. They are very tempting at first and one knows, the answer is just around the corner if one plugs the "right" number/s.However, one soon finds out that even after "X" tries he/she is no where near the solution.

The test makers deliberately use this to devise problems that suck in lot of time and leave you moving in circles.

Just my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
 Q39  V28
Send PM
snipertrader wrote:
Mohater - great thread. Keep em coming!

I firmly believe that Number picking , espc in DS number properties & inequalities are black holes as far as time goes. They are very tempting at first and one knows, the answer is just around the corner if one plugs the "right" number/s.However, one soon finds out that even after "X" tries he/she is no where near the solution.

The test makers deliberately use this to devise problems that suck in lot of time and leave you moving in circles.

Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree with snipertrader. Testtakers desperate attempts make them choose wrong answers even after spending 4 or more mins on the question. You got to use the correct numbers, especially in DS.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
bump for people taking the GMAT soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:NY Stern; Columbia; Cornell; Waterloo; U of T
Send PM
Thanks a lot Sameer for sharing your experience and thoghts! it is helping m epersonally. +1 kudos for you! Congrats (re. score)!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Great Strategies....will try them and see if they work for me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
your starategies are good ... i liked specially the one where you quoted not to get panic ..when only 15 mins left for 15 questions :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hey mohater

Do you think this strategy can also be included in here?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/distribution-of-sc-questions-strategy-85636.html#p641859
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I personally don't see a point in playing the stats game to figure out what topics to focus on. Advanced SC problems can have multiple errors in sentence and the answers.

I see it as a strategy based on speculation, and thus of marginal benefit.

That being said, if others think it is very value added, I will add it to the master thread.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1235 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
In rate problems, if the question contains only the rates assume the total work to be done as a LCM of the rates.

Benefits:
1. avoid fractions
2. easier calculation with whole numbers
3. Saves time

Wil try to post a question, which i have solved using this strategy...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2