Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V39
Re: Verbal Analysis [#permalink]
I don't think it's useless to infer things about GMAT Prep from your MGMAT verbal scores. At the very beginning of my prep I took a cold GMAT Prep diagnostic and got 46Q/37V. A few days later, after reading a little bit, I got 47Q/36V on MGMAT. They are pretty close if you ask me. But from here on out, I am not doing anymore MGMAT CAT's so it's a little irrelevant. Overall it's just good to practice all areas and use several trusted sources.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
topher:

Your scores for GMATPrep and MGMAT may be similar, but the two CATs are scored very differently. Generally speaking, you can miss a lot more questions on an MGMAT CAT. Due to the number of experimental questions on the GMAT, it is possible to get a V44 with 11 errors, but it's not likely. I'm sure you're capable of scoring ~V44 on GMATPrep, but it would be with less errors.

My most recent CAT results
GMATPrep #1 - V42 (6 errors)
GMATPrep #1 RT - V47 (2 errors)
GMATPrep #2 - V44 (5 errors)

MGMAT #4 - V41 (13 errors) *taken between GMATPrep #1 and GMATPrep #1 Re-take

Verbal is much more sensitive to errors than Quant. Scores ranging from V45 to V49 can probably all be obtained with 2 errors, depending on the difficulty of the questions you get wrong. You definitely don't see this much variation in Quant scores.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V39
I just took a GMAT Prep CAT yesterday and got 770 (50Q, 44V). I definitely think both math and verbal are harder with MGMAT. And yes, the observation about the # of q's missed corresponding to certain scores differs between MGMAT and GMATPrep. When I got 44V from MGMAT, I missed 11, but yesterday I only missed 4 to get 44V on GMAT Prep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4617 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
topher, you look lik eall set for the final exam.. when are you taking the exam?

very impressive verbal scores ... ofcourse your quant is rock solid as well.

all the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2919 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
MGMAT CAT runs out of hard questions once you get to CAT5#. You can check this by counting the number of 700+ questions and comparing that with previous MGMAT CATs.

I agree with others' analysis on scoring algorithm - they are different in all test providers. What the likes of MGMAT do is that they first build their algorithm and then compare the score of a sample group with their score on GMATPrep. Then, MGMAT algorithm is calibrated so that, say, the sample group scoring 720 on average on GMATPrep score similarly on MGMAT. Test providers are incentivised to underestimate your score slightly for marketing reasons. My highest score on the first 4 MGMAT CAT was 720.

The calibration of the algorithm results in some interesting things. For example, you might get 13 wrong in MGMAT CAT verbal and score V39, but similar number of wrong questions may result in only V34 in GMATPrep.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V39
ugimba wrote:
topher, you look lik eall set for the final exam.. when are you taking the exam?

very impressive verbal scores ... ofcourse your quant is rock solid as well.

all the best.

My test is Sep 4th. I wish I had signed up to take the test sooner b/c I think I'm ready. But now I have to keep studying to maintain my level for almost 4 more weeks. Oh well. I've only completed 7 GMAT Club tests, and have only gone through about 1/3 of OG 12, so both of those along with 1000 series will be plenty to occupy me until then.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Not to derail the conversation, but topher: you are doing a great job! A 99th percentile score is definitely within your reach.

Edit: just saw your new post.

If you can afford whatever the fee is, I'd highly recommend that you move your date forward. I took my test a week later that I should have and it was hard to maintain any motivation to keep refreshing my memory of the subjects.
GMAT Club Bot