Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 21:12 It is currently 22 May 2024, 21:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2576 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73326 [0]
Given Kudos: 19004
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73326 [0]
Given Kudos: 19004
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: College seniors / people with less than 3yrs work experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
speak4life wrote:
Know there are some people with less than 3yrs of work exp who might have some burning questions... feel free to ask 'the GMAT wasnt made for only people with over 3yrs work exp' plus a lot of msc programs now require the GMAT... so if you ve got questions about which school... would i be accepted... etc post your question and i would try my best to answer...

P.s: later on i would diffrenciate between what most people thing to be 'work years' form 'quality work experinence' and tell you why what someone might have done in 5yrs can be equavelent to 1yr...

Thanks for starting this thread. Probably would be helpful for the members if you shared some of your qualifications in the area.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
count me in that group... 2 years of 'actual work experience' (+ 3 summers of internships in various fields). undergrad in engineering and was able to finish my master's at the same time in management. i'll be taking the gmat next week, and im hoping my academic background and (hopefully!) good score will counteract my limited work experience / age.

i guess my main question right now would be: i know the mba admissions committees look at 'the entire package' when accepting a candidate. this means that oftentimes people with low GMAT scores get into top schools due to their perceived strengths in other aspects of their application (like good work experiences). is the opposite ever true? will people that have strong recommendations and a high GMAT be accepted into top 10 schools even if their work experience is limited?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ BB... good to see you comment on my post... i would get back to you on that one 'im at work'

@shadowsjc: good question, they look at the whole package... the concept is simple: 'what are you bringing to the table', what do other students stand to gain from you if admitted. it a whole checklist you know... leadership, maturity, readiness, etc. HBS tells you work exp 'includes opportunities in which students have been able to develop their professional and leadership skills. some people work the first 2yrs filing papers... more like special assistant to the special assistant but really they are doing nothing, their leadership skills hasnt moved significantly... now what is achieved here is work years... so you need to prove that your 2yrs with the internships adds to QUALITY work exp... of course if your are applyin to hbs you might need more than that... 'had a friend who got in saying his post mba yrs wont only be about money but how he would continue wit a charity... bla bla' but thats unique... so compensiate ur little work exp with other things... i would write more when im done with work' he got admitted...
form experience: the greatest trick is to get in with an IB pespective in mind... because of the long working hours etc... they feel young people can go thru this while family men...!!!
many people got in through IB and of course had other plans in mind for their MBA concerntration...

Originally posted by CBS20err on 26 Aug 2009, 08:35.
Last edited by CBS20err on 26 Aug 2009, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
let me quickly add that your essays, recommendations 'top notch', if you are relatively young 'your level of maturity' plus a host of other things which centers around uniqueness, believe me if you represent an ethic minority, or an under represented country... hugh 'pluses' BUT theres a BUT... if with that, your application still looks like anyother persons sorry!!! you are grouped like every1 else... what im saying is magnify your strengths... annul ur weaknesses... Poor GPA... plus 700++ GMAT with a good explaniation... you have to explain... knowing so much about the admission board and quote me on this one... i guarantee among the first few questions is 'young man... we noticed you have a masters in management... now what would the MBA do that your masters is not doing' the reason most people who do an 'ideal' masters in management see an MBA as insignificant.... this question can be your make or break point... so can your postMBA fill a void your master isn't filling... plus if you get a 780 in your GMAT... ur one leg in... why...??? they believe you are too smart to let go... they would never admit it but you increase their avg GMAT score... shh i didnt tell you
2yr work plus significant achievement 'both professionally and in leadership qualities' is better than 5yrs filing papers... all you have to do is prove it and focus on the other application parts

p.s: im still at work...
GMAT Club Bot