Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 23:30 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 23:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1045 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: Need help with Low Verbal scores [#permalink]
Kudos
Diagramming was a really good strategy for me to keep focus my attention when reading boring passages. It's also a good effective strategy for keep yourself on pace.

If your speed reading is too slow, i recommend this book

10 days to faster reading by Abby Marks-Beale

I found it at my local library. its a quick read, and has some really golden tips for reading faster without sacrificing comprehension, such as: using a pacer to track eye position and avoid regression, asking yourself key questions when you are reading, increasing you eye span so you capture more words in each glance.

HTH!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73477 [0]
Given Kudos: 19056
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATBootcamp wrote:
Diagramming was a really good strategy for me to keep focus my attention when reading boring passages. It's also a good effective strategy for keep yourself on pace.

If your speed reading is too slow, i recommend this book

10 days to faster reading by Abby Marks-Beale

I found it at my local library. its a quick read, and has some really golden tips for reading faster without sacrificing comprehension, such as: using a pacer to track eye position and avoid regression, asking yourself key questions when you are reading, increasing you eye span so you capture more words in each glance.

HTH!

Welcome to GMAT Club - GMATBootcamp and thanks for the recommendation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for ur suggestions yangsta8, orsang8, gmatbootcamp and bb.

My problem was more of focus than technique. I had the problem of drifting away in the middle of the passage. I have tried both Gin's and Rhyme's techniques. But I have not given Rhyme's technique adequate time as I was a little skeptical about it.

The problem with my reading speed is that it takes 4 mins to read the passage and still tend to reread when the questions are laid, spending about 2-3 mins/q. The accuracy being about 70%.So, I guess Gins technique is not very optimal for me, especially because I don't have that much time in the test. I will give Rhyme's technique another try. I guess it requires a lot of practice to fine tune. Once this is done, I guess I can approach certain types of passages that are easy to me using the generic approach and apply Rhyme's method for all the rest.

Currently, I am reading fiction(it sets the tempo), based on bb's thread, and some other literature like book reviews. I am trying to read more actively and recall the gist of the immediate paragraph. Asking key questions. And staying in the passage. Its more of how I read than how much I read. Unlike quants there seems no easy way out for reading.

I have completed my gmat 660 (q-50, v-31) and had a break of 2 weeks. :-D I might give gmat one more try within 20 days :shock: , if verbal scores show some response.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
GMAT retake 690 (Q45, V39) [#permalink]