Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:Every achievement is not an end, but the beginning of a new jounrney.
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
Schools:NY Stern, INSEAD, UCLA, Darden
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Deputy Manager -- Oil & Gas -- Base Refinery Operations
WE 2: Engineer -- Honeywell Process Solutions
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
I have planned to do intense study for 3 months but feel like its not gonna be enough.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I see for Manhattan, there are different books for Math. Don't they have only 1 book for Math?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
toogood wrote:
I see for Manhattan, there are different books for Math. Don't they have only 1 book for Math?

There is Manhattan Review and Manhattan GMAT - two completely different companies and that confuses everyone.

It is usually the MGMAT Guides that are recommended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Bookmarks
Hi bb, Hi Everyone,

I just joined GMAT Club after reading your reviews of the Official Guide for GMAT on Amazon.
I'm planning to take the GMAT in late November this year.

After reading the study schedule guide posted here, I realized that I have less than 3 months to study.
This will be my first time taking the GMAT and I'm quite worried that I won't get a good score. I am aiming for 700+.

My Background:
It's been awhile since I've graduated from college. I have a B.A. from a "top-ten" university in History and a M.A. from another well-known college in Information Systems Management.

My Strengths and Weaknesses:
My stronger area is probably in Math, but my weakness is in test-taking. I have trouble with taking timed tests. I take too long to think about each problem and waste a lot of time re-reading the problem or just writing out my calculations. I also have trouble concentrating on the problems after about an hour (either from boredom, distraction, or frustration). As for Sentence Completion and Reading Comprehension, I feel a bit overwhelmed because there seem to be so many study guides out on the market. I think I can write a good essay since I'm a native English speaker, but I tend to think that essays are subjectively scored rather than objectively scored -- such as math scores.

My Goal is to Join the 700+ Club!
I would like to know if I stand a chance at 700+ on my first try. I'm able to study 5-8 hours a day, 7 days a week (I know that sounds drastic but I'm hardcore and I'm willing to do what is necessary!). I only work part-time at the moment, and I am also taking a finite mathematics course at a community college (to brush up on my math skills), so I've got tons of time during the day and on weekends. I'm the type who feels motivated to study when there are other people studying around me. :-D

I've already purchased the following books:
- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th edition (I know the 12th ed. is out, but I bought this book last year)
- Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction, Guide 8, 4th edition (I've started reading Chapter 2 today)
- Manhattan GMAT Reading Comprehension, Guide 7, 4h edition (haven't started yet)
- EZ Solutions Math Practice Advanced Workbook
- Any other books that you'd suggest for me to use within a 2 month study period?

In addition, I am reading The Economist every week to hone my reading comprehension, vocabulary, and "business-speak" skills.

I am also thinking of taking a Manhattan GMAT Online GMAT course. Do you think it is worth it (for someone in my situation with only 2 months but plenty of time in the day) to take a course like this? If anyone here has had experience taking a course with MGMAT in person or online, could you please share some of your experiences? Was it a good investment? How much of an increase in score were you able to obtain?

I realize that many of my questions have probably already been answered on this forum. I just joined and started reading all the posts - my apologies if I sound redundant. :P

I'd really appreciate your advice. Thanks!

700+ Bound...
bambie
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Welcome to GMAT Club Bambie

Here is a collection of gmat prep class reviews to get you started: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html
The class is often recommended, but it does not guarantee the score, so take it with a grain of salt, though MGMAT is definitely one of the best classes you can take.

I would recommend you take a gmat prep to get an understanding of where you stand and weaknesses, and we can see what you really need. Joining 700-club is definitely doable within your timeframe and resources.

Post after you have taken the GMAT prep and we'll go from there.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
chiank wrote:
hi,

i have very poor english .....how should i start my preparation for gmat?

You will need to get your English up to standards. No use to get into strategies if you have trouble understanding.
Start learning vocabulary (get some english books), and start reading/speaking as much as you can - get interesting books, join some English language forums/wesbsites, get a tutor, etc.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
chiank wrote:
thanks for your reply bb ....but cant i use gmat verbal books as tool in my english learning process? i can use verbal books to check my improvement

You could, but it resembles running a race in winter boots :)
GMAT books assume that you are proficient in English already and are not designed to be ESL materials. The only one that could work for you is Kaplan Verbal Foundations - it is a grammar book that starts from scratch. Maybe start there, see how it goes, and then move on to MGMAT SC or PowerScore SC and other books.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
WOW - you are are crazy :lol:
Two notes of caution - don't burn out and do not assume all the materials will do the job for you.
You must believe and fully dive into each book. Keep an error log and not move on until you are comfortable. I do think it is a heavy overkill - it is highly recommended to take less than 4-6 months to take the GMAT - otherwise you start forgetting what you have learned.

P.S. My mistake - the MGMAT Number properties book should be mentioned.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
bb wrote:
WOW - you are are crazy :lol:
Two notes of caution - don't burn out and do not assume all the materials will do the job for you.
You must believe and fully dive into each book. Keep an error log and not move on until you are comfortable. I do think it is a heavy overkill - it is highly recommended to take less than 4-6 months to take the GMAT - otherwise you start forgetting what you have learned.

P.S. My mistake - the MGMAT Number properties book should be mentioned.

I agree with bb, this is a absolute overkill ... and there is a lot of redundant books in the list you mentioned, like if you go for LSAT CR and RC then you need the GMAT CR and RC books ...

Remember GMAT prep is not about just doing all kinds of problems known in this world, but doing the right kind of problems .. u need to study smartly and not blindly ...

as bb said anything beyond 4-6 months you will surely tend to loose interest in it and the tempo would go down ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM