GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 17:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2010, 00:36
hi,
i just logged in the forum as a newbie

the post sure did seem wonderful.....
but it would be great if u could guide me to which book should i start my prep with....

jus a name or two..would be great

thanks a lot
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 18
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2010, 21:36
BB, thanks for a great starting point.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2010, 12:02
:?
Hi there,
I am worried about the GMAT exam. Can your pls. give me gmat study plan of 15 days as likely to take the test on this May 15.
Pls. give a schedule involving all the sections.
thanks in advance :)
_________________

thanks,
SS

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2010, 18:07
Hey BB,
Again, a newbie here about to embark on that all too familiar mission of scoring 700+! I just ordered my MGMAT set and the OG 12. Do the MGMAT guides refer to questions from the separate OG Verbal and Quant guides?

Thanks a mil
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2010, 18:43
Thanks Username. I sure wish the OG guides were available as a PDF file or on an E-reader such as the Kindle. I live a traveling lifestyle which forbids me from lugging those huge books around. Does anyone know if they are available electronically?
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16985
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2010, 20:36
Royaldane wrote:
Hey BB,
Again, a newbie here about to embark on that all too familiar mission of scoring 700+! I just ordered my MGMAT set and the OG 12. Do the MGMAT guides refer to questions from the separate OG Verbal and Quant guides?

Thanks a mil


The MGMAT books refer to the OG 12 and also Quant OG and Verbal OG for even more additional target practice.
You can get either first or second edition of Quant OG/Verbal OG - both work
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Mumbai
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2010, 23:25
Hi,

I have started the journey today.

The first step was taking one GMATPrep Mock Test to get sense of my strength / weakness. I have scored 650 (Q -49 / V -30). I skipped the AWA section.

I am doing full-time job & have around 3 months of time to prepare & crack GMAT. My target is 750+.

The forum is really good & I would like to thank bb for all his efforts in setting up this nice forum.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16985
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2010, 10:29
mgforce wrote:
Hi,

I have started the journey today.

The first step was taking one GMATPrep Mock Test to get sense of my strength / weakness. I have scored 650 (Q -49 / V -30). I skipped the AWA section.

I am doing full-time job & have around 3 months of time to prepare & crack GMAT. My target is 750+.

The forum is really good & I would like to thank bb for all his efforts in setting up this nice forum.



650 is impressive!!!
I got 540 the first time around (after some studying too).
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2010
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2010, 22:58
This is a fantastic starting point. Thanks for simplifying GMAT Preparation; it would be rather hard to wrap ones' head around everything without GMATClub and guidance from the many individuals in this community.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2595
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 00:13
nice hierarchy BB.

You have stated that we should read during low productive time. What about understanding the content?

should we just keep on reading without understanding deeply what is stated?
I have this question just because I have recently finished one Indian Novel and was able to understand the story even if I wasn't aware of some word meanings. I just skipped and was able to comprehend the story.

But in reality RC will be different. We need to read deeply and understand the intend.

Do we gain this by just reading during our low productive time even if we are not able to concentrate 100%?

On an average how many months are required to become an active reader? this is weird question but still any idea?
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16985
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 00:18
gurpreetsingh wrote:
nice hierarchy BB.

You have stated that we should read during low productive time. What about understanding the content?

should we just keep on reading without understanding deeply what is stated?
I have this question just because I have recently finished one Indian Novel and was able to understand the story even if I wasn't aware of some word meanings. I just skipped and was able to comprehend the story.

But in reality RC will be different. We need to read deeply and understand the intend.

Do we gain this by just reading during our low productive time even if we are not able to concentrate 100%?

On an average how many months are required to become an active reader? this is weird question but still any idea?



I used this method and spent probably 2-3 months reading books.
You won't be able to get every word, esp if you are on a subway or bus or on a lunch break without a dictionary around. However, you will get the meaning and that's what counts (or maybe not and you will need to look up that word if that's important enough). Your GMAT experience will be pretty similar - you will encounter unfamiliar words and part of the game is how you deal with that. You wont' have a dictionary of course. I think 1-2K pages over 2 months is enough to immerse yourself into the language and train your ear.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2010, 02:18
Background:
I am 38 years old and I need to take the GMAT. I have been out of college for over 12 years and only took one Algebra and one Statistics class. I looked at the Math and some of it looked like a foreign language. I do not work in a business setting (firefighter) so I have not really utilized the stuff I learned in college. I have a BS in Counseling. I only need to score a 400 to apply for the job I am interested in.

If I could get a good solid game plan on how to achieve this from the infancy stage I would greatly appreaciate it. I can dedicate 2-3 months of solid time to preparing for the GMAT. I have Peterson's GMAT study guide and that is it!

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16985
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 09:13
ski99 wrote:
Background:
I am 38 years old and I need to take the GMAT. I have been out of college for over 12 years and only took one Algebra and one Statistics class. I looked at the Math and some of it looked like a foreign language. I do not work in a business setting (firefighter) so I have not really utilized the stuff I learned in college. I have a BS in Counseling. I only need to score a 400 to apply for the job I am interested in.

If I could get a good solid game plan on how to achieve this from the infancy stage I would greatly appreaciate it. I can dedicate 2-3 months of solid time to preparing for the GMAT. I have Peterson's GMAT study guide and that is it!

Thanks!


Sorry, I have been traveling heavily and missed your post.
Take a practice test and if you are still no there, get a Kaplan Premier book and you should be set.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 09:59
Hi BB - Thanks for the information.. I have spent couple of hours going through various GMAT topics and have found it very helpful. Great Forum.

I had initially started studying for GMAT begining of this year and had scheduled GMAT for July. I will now be postponing it as I wasn't able to dedicate much time to studying and lost motivation (after taking the first Kaplan CAT exam - got a 550).

I'm in an accounting firm and have year long busy season (i work about 65+ hours a week). If I try to map your 3 month plan to my schedule, it would end up being a 6-7 months plan.. Do you think it would be too long of a time?

I have gone through GMAT Premier program and PR1012.
I plan to buy and study the OG 12 and MGMAT Verbal books.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 30
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 16:32
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

What specific books should I get? What specific game plan should I follow?


I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Experienced Gmat takers please advise.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Location: India
Schools: ISB
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 18:29
1
Hi All,

I have one query for recommended books and for study plan

W.r.t. recommended books, can anyone plz tell me if books mentioned under below mentioned columns should be followed in below sequence ?

1)Advanced Plan
2)Ultimate Plan
3)Beyond Hardcore Plan

And w.r.t study plan , it 3 months study plan and I just have 2 months. I have done OG 12 and had 70% accuracy in within time limit. Can you please further advise on this.

Quick reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
RenukaD
_________________

_________________
If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 30
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 18:48
1
Continue -

I have made a study guide, please advise. I have 2 months and I just want to make sure this plan will prepare me well for 730-750. 50hrs/wk. Please ignore all the EXAM #2s, they're just copy and pastes. Thanks.

Study Plan
1. Take Official GMAT Test online, review all questions 5/29 Sat
2. Review math 5/30 – 6/3
a. Books:
i. Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook for concept review and practice problems
ii. Kaplan GMAT Premier Live Online for concept review and practice problems
iii. Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review for practice problems
iv. Official Guide for the GMAT Review, 12th Edition for practice problems – mostly easy and medium questions
b. Tips:
i. Take notes, make flashcards on important materials
ii. Keep error log
iii. Time: 90seconds/questions
iv. Review all questions wrong thorough. Make notes to avoid in future.
v. Review all guessed answers.
3. Practice Math Questions 6/13 – 6/16
a. Continue to practice problems
b. Search for the hard 10% and practice

4. Review Verbal, continue to practice math problems 6/17 - 6/23
a. Books:
i. Manhattan GMAT’s Sentence Correction Guide for concept review
ii. PowerScore’s Critical Reasoning Bible for concept review
iii. Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook for concept review
iv. Official Guide for the GMAT Verbal Review for practice problems
v. Official Guide for the GMAT Review, 12th Edition for practice problems
5. Practice Verbal Questions, continue to practice math 6/23 – 7/1
a. Should be devoting more and more time as material accumulates
6. Build stamina through taking official exams and target weak points JULY
i. Practice Questions, review, and read test tips 7/2 FRI

1. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/3
• Work on weak math 7/3
• Work on weak verbal 7/4
2. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/5
• Work on weak math 7/6
• Work on weak verbal 7/7
3. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/8
• Work on weak math 7/9
• Work on weak verbal 7/10
4. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/18
• Work on weak math 7/18
• Work on weak verbal 7/19
5. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/20
• Work on weak math 7/21
• Work on weak verbal 7/22
6. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/23
• Work on weak math 7/24
• Work on weak verbal 7/25
7. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/26
• Work on weak math 7/27
• Work on weak verbal 7/28
8. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/29
• Work on weak math 7/30
• Work on weak verbal 7/31
9. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 8/1
• Work on weak math 7/1
• Work on weak verbal 7/2
10. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 8/3
• Work on weak math 8/4
• Work on weak verbal 8/5

Tentative test date 8/7
TARGET SCORE: 750
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16985
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2010, 05:43
Well, what is your score right now?
have you taken a diagnostic?


knabi wrote:
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

What specific books should I get? What specific game plan should I follow?


I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Experienced Gmat takers please advise.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.

_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 30
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2010, 07:32
bb wrote:
Well, what is your score right now?
have you taken a diagnostic?


knabi wrote:
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

What specific books should I get? What specific game plan should I follow?


I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Experienced Gmat takers please advise.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.



No I have not yet. I was going to on Sat, but I got insecure and decided to review more before I take it. I know the gmat tests from the official website are the most legitimate, so I didn't want to waste them. Should I just take a diagnostic from Kaplan's book?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2010, 20:34
Hello all, first off, thank you BB for posting such useful information. While researching various study materials on Amazon I came across your various reviews and found each one extremely helpful. The six steps and three month study plan you present in the initial post to this thread are exactly what I was looking for, but I would like to run my situation by you and receive any advice you can offer.

I am currently working full time, approximately 30hrs a week. I am also taking a class during Summer Session 1 at the university where I received my undergraduate degree and will be taking another in Summer Session 2.

I am planning on applying to grad school before the November 15th deadline for my school of choice and plan to take the GMAT around the 1st of September.

Based on one of your reviews, here are the materials I considered purchasing:
1. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides
2. OG 12th Ed.
3. OG Verbal 2nd Ed.
4. OG Quant 2nd Ed.

I have no prior experience with the GMAT but my goal is score in the 650-700 range. I am diligent in my study habits and have focused my summer to the two classes and studying for this test. As recommended on this site, I plan on taking a practice exam as soon as possible to determine where I stand at this point.

Here a few questions I have:
1. Do I have enough time before the test to properly utilize all of these materials in preparation?
2. If not, what combination would you recommend for someone in my position?
3. Are there any other materials not listed you would advise me to use (I saw another review where you recommended the Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet)

I have been speaking with numerous people about study materials ranging from books to the Kaplan prep class and feel I have found the best information on this site. I would really appreciate any advice, not only from BB but from anyone else who can provide helpful insight.

Thanks so much

J
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jun 2010, 20:34

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42    Next  [ 829 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.