Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 22:42 It is currently 14 May 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Today: 770 Q51 V44. GMATClub rules. [#permalink]
hey .. Thanks and congrats ..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10058 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats with great score!!!

And thank you for summary!

jjwumaster wrote:
SUMMARY
* Start studying 2-3 months before your exam. Get a game plan for yourself.
* Volume = success. Yes, pointed studying works, but more studying is better.
* Review is more important than testing. Review, review, review your mistakes.
* ZEROES, ONES, and NEGATIVES for data sufficiency. Just remember the possibility that any number unless otherwise stated can be zero, one, negative one, or just a plain negative number and you will improve by 2-3 questions every test. Guaranteed.
* GMATClub Math. Do 'em.
* Get yourself nervous. When you're practicing, imagine yourself taking the test and get that pukie-in-your-mouth feeling so you really feel the pressure and focus. That will be a better demonstrator of your ability than taking tests in front of the TV.
* Finish the OG guide. No matter how easy you find it or how tedious. Finish them all, and read the primers on the AWA questions. They will help you.
* Scope the location, and feel free to be nervous! You will calm down after the AWA's, I promise you.

That's it, I'll spare you from reading anymore. Hope this helps. I'll edit if my brain implodes tomorrow.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3058 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Congrats dude!!! :) Great Score!!!

One bloody area is missing in your post and that is "RC". :shock: I mean how did you overcome that??
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73204 [0]
Given Kudos: 18963
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
WOW :yikes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General
Schools:LBS,Oxford SAID,INSEAD,NUS
Send PM
Congrats dude..u nailed it . you wrote fewer CATs ( other than club cat ) . Seems club CAT has helped you much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General
Schools:LBS,Oxford SAID,INSEAD,NUS
Send PM
Great Score Buddy . 51 in Math !!!!!!!

I too have this problem . not reading the question properly. I once interpreted n square inches as n^2 :) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: 770 Q51 V44 AWA 6.0 GMATClub rules. [#permalink]
Congrats and good luck !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1627 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
wow... :o
many congratulations!! Q51! get my lazy butt back to the study table
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:LBS, MIT Sloan
 Q44  V37
Send PM
Brilliant. I was doubtful about the math challenge sets but i think you've just convinced me. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Great post man. I think i'll give the gmat club math sets a try. I hope they will work for me. I have been only taking the Manhattan GMAT Cat exams, so I hope this will be a good additional source of help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
Great post man. I think i'll give the gmat club math sets a try. I hope they will work for me. I have been only taking the Manhattan GMAT Cat exams, so I hope this will be a good additional source of help.

I believe the MGMAT math questions are tougher than the "real" GMAT questions. I went over the MGMAT books(specially Word Translations and Number properties) and now I plan on doing the Gmat Club tests.(Hope the two parts of the sentence were parallel about "and" :lol: )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
jjwumaster wrote:
Hey all, I wanted to share my experience with you in the hopes that it will help someone else achieve his goals with the GMAT.

First, the test day experience. I scoped out the test center a week before (I highly recommend doing this for traffic and comfort reasons). I got to the test center ~15 minutes before my appointment. Was really nervous for the quant. since I was doing poorly on the GMATClub challenges (explained below). I finished with exactly no time left. Verbal was less nerve-wracking, and I actually finished with over 15 minutes on the clock. Heart was going out of control and I couldn't click through the screens fast enough to get my score. 770, Q51, V44. EDIT: AWA 6.0 as well!

To give some background, my highest SAT scores were Math 800 Verbal 800 Writing 800 and I was aiming for a 730+ on the GMAT. I spent approximately 2 months total studying, with an average of 2-3 hours a day (sometimes fewer, sometimes limited to just one GMATClub challenge, esp. if I had been partying). Worked out as much as I could (1 hr - 2 hrs a day), slept a lot, and pretty much had no life (unemployed).

Here are the resources I used in preparation, in order of use (books and software were used concurrently):

Books
Princeton Review: Cracking the GMAT 2008 (only one available from my local library--recommend with some reservations, as they don't give you too many advanced strategies. Decent practice.)
OG12: The best book for getting a good feel for the questions you'll see on the real thing. Highly recommended.

I also bought Barron's and OG11 (why? no idea...) but did not use them one bit.

Software:
GMATPrep (Best comprehensive software available, and resettable! (gmatprep-gmat-prep-powerprep-power-prep-free-tests-77548.html)
Kaplan 2008 (Uhm, don't remember how I got this but it's good practice. No comprehensive explanations really, just questions.)
Barron's 2008 (Two practice CATs, a non-CAT math, and a non-CAT verbal. Not that similar to the real exam but OK practice)
Manhattan GMAT free practice test
And of course...GMATClub Math Challenges!!! The best math review out there. Period.

And here are some of my "stats" from my practice exams (in the order I took them):
9/9/09: GMATPrep 730 Q49 V40 (was PSYCHED to get >700 on my first practice)
9/15/09: Barron's 680 (I was definitely saying WTF to myself)
9/21/09: Manhattan GMAT 690
9/26/09: Barron's 710
10/09/09: GMATPrep 780 Q50 V49 (again, excited to do well)
10/19/09: GMATPrep 780 Q50 V49 (repeat test with some overlap with 1st GMATPrep)
10/22/09: GMATPrep 770 Q50 V44 (repeat test with some overlap with 2nd GMATPrep)

And here are my GMATClub Math Challenge stats also in the order I took them (as you can see I didn't finish them all and I was highly inconsistent). I didn't start doing the math challenges until TWO WEEKS before my test. So I averaged more than one every weekday (since I generally gave myself weekends off).

Test Correct Total % Correct Mean time Percentile
m25 27 37 73% 87.8788 sec 73%
m01 31 37 84% 105.4966 sec 83%
m02 34 37 92% 104.9431 sec 94%
m14 27 37 73% 118.0925 sec 68%
m15 23 31 74% 144.0578 sec 42% (ran out of time in a big way by spending 10 (!) minutes on one question)
m16 33 37 89% 107.5079 sec 95%
m17 34 37 92% 117.5966 sec 93%
m18 29 36 81% 110.6873 sec 68% (a hangover was my excuse, but the next few are low too...)
m19 32 37 86% 116.0503 sec 79%
m20 31 37 84% 113.4073 sec 60%
m21 29 37 78% 100.8949 sec 74%

Here's what I have to say about GMATClub's Challenges: they are [multiple expletives] genius. I even saw a question on the exam that required a tip that only GMATClub's explanations offered. They are the best. And do not be discouraged if you do poorly on them!!! They are clearly made to be harder than the real GMAT and even though I was averaging in the 70's (YIKES) by the end of the Challenges I scored a 51 quant. Now, I recognized that a lot of my mistakes were "silly" or "I didn't RTFQ (read the question)" but it was still very discouraging to do so poorly. The same can be said about the non-official GMAT software programs--they weren't reliable indicators, didn't teach me as much as the GMATClub Challenges, and can suck my balls as far as I can tell (or maybe I was just having bad days, I don't know).

It tout I was too relaxed when taking these tests. With a good dose of anxiety and nervous energy to focus me on gameday, I ripped through quant. Conversely, I think my verbal suffered on the real exam because I was a bit too relaxed coming into it, thinking I was a verbal pimp and had already gone over the tough part (quant). shadowsjc posted a good tip for verbal: S-L-O-W down. Take your time, especially if you are like him or me. Thinking "I'm either right or wrong, no need to dilly dally" and taking no time to reconsider is a waste. Finishing with 15 minutes to spare at the cost of maybe a higher score is totally unnecessary.

For verbal review I relied on the OG and GMATPrep software. I know Manhattan GMAT's Sentence Correction book comes highly recommended, but I figured my grammar knowledge was fine. I spent a lot of time reviewing strategy for Critical Reasoning (which initially I was terrible at even though I was a philosophy major!!) and learning to be more careful in Reading Comp.

For AWA, I definitely took big tips from the GMATClub templates (how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html), though I had a lot of confidence in my writing ability and never really studied for AWA. We'll see if that comes back to bite me in the ass. (EDIT: It didn't! Saw the 6.0 today on the official report). I also found f1gmat's AWA website to be tremendously useful for common analysis of argument logic flaws (https://f1gmat.com/gmat-tips/analysis-of-argument).

I can't comment too much on verbal since, well, I didn't really use that many verbal resources but here are the general lessons I learned:

SUMMARY
* Start studying 2-3 months before your exam. Get a game plan for yourself.
* Volume = success. Yes, pointed studying works, but more studying is better.
* Review is more important than testing. Review, review, review your mistakes.
* ZEROES, ONES, and NEGATIVES for data sufficiency. Just remember the possibility that any number unless otherwise stated can be zero, one, negative one, or just a plain negative number and you will improve by 2-3 questions every test. Guaranteed.
* GMATClub Math. Just do 'em. Do 'em all if you can.
* Get yourself focused. When you're practicing, imagine yourself taking the test and get that pukie-in-your-mouth anxious feeling so you really feel the pressure. That will be a better demonstrator of your ability than taking tests in front of the TV.
* Finish the OG guide. No matter how easy you find it or how tedious. Finish them all, read as many explanations as you can bear, and read the primers on the AWA questions.
* Scope the location, and feel free to be nervous! You will calm down after the AWA's, I promise you.

That's it, I'll spare you from reading anymore. Hope this helps!

Congratulations!!

If I may, I have few questions for you:

1- Do you remember in the verbal section how many passages were there and average number of questions per passage? I guess most people tend to use most of their given time in this section and hence you need at least half of the time allocated to do well here?
2- Similar to 1 above but in the quant section, do you remember how many questions were there "on average" for the PS and DS? Can you remember how one of the most difficult questions look like or what was about?
3- Do you think that OG12 and mastering of its questions was all you needed to do well in the test?
4- Do you think that the GMATPrep software is a good indicator of the real test - Many people claim that these 2/4 tests are much easier than the actual test? With your experience, what did you conclude?
5- Will you recommend someone to do something else you wished you should have done but failed to do for whatever reason?

regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
jjwumaster wrote:
Good questions all. At this point the test was a little while ago but if you've been taking GMATPrep you can tell the location of the RC passages and questions. There are usually 2-3 I believe (someone correct me if I"m wrong) and one almost always comes near the end of the test before the final 4-5 questions (usually varied). Personally I didn't have a time issue on verbal, it was more of an issue of carelessness. Number of questions was standard--4-5 per passage is normal, and in fact there is a standard number of questions of all types. To the best of my knowledge, here they are (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Verbal:
10-12 RC
14-15 CR
14-15 SC

Quant:
23-24 PS
13-14 DS

The hardest math question I saw was a combinations problem which was actually quite easy for me after reading up on combinations online and doing the GMATClub Math Challenges. I've been told if you start seeing combination/permutation problems you're doing well on math. Obviously I took that with a grain of salt but I was glad to see I was seeing some tough ones.

OG12 is not all you need to do well. Personally I think OG12 is great for getting a good feel for the test, but it probably won't be enough for math. None of the OG12 math questions even approach the difficulty of 700+ GMAT questions. Most of them are repetitive and "one-step" (i.e. it takes just one step to solve the problem).

I do believe GMATPrep is a good indicator of the real test. Some people say the math is easier on GMATPrep but I didn't really find that to be the case. In fact, I did better on the real exam than I ever did on GMATPrep quant. I think the verbal is very accurate.

I wish I had remained focused and remained slow and concentrated for verbal. I rushed through verbal, happy that I was done with math, and finished with 15 minutes on the clock. Very silly and I wish someone could have whispered in my ear to stay pumped and concentrated for the final leg. Good luck!

Thank you for input - I really appreciate it - I am taking the GMAT on the 20 Nov - will let you know my results.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
congrates!! great score.

I am new here, hope to see my score in 7XX someday !

Good luck to your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 461 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
Send PM
excellent score...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
Incredible score. Q51 :shock: I really needed this inspiration to keep studying!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
DId you feel that the last 10-15 Critical Reasoning questions from OG#12 were easier or on par with the difficult questions on the GMAT? I am curious to know how accurate the difficulty level of the questions are that I am seeing in the OG #12.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37424 posts