Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 14:21 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 14:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 770 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
Re: Which schools do you see going up in rank in the next 10 yrs [#permalink]
here's another little nugget of information that i wasn't aware of until recently regarding yale SOM. apparently up until recently (maybe 10-15 years ago?), yale only gave out an MPPM, which is kinda like an MBA, but geared towards non-profits. it's because of this that yale's reputation as a top notch school for the nonprofit industry came about. however, yale then switched over to a more traditional MBA degree. their alumni base is therefore not as strong as some of the more established schools (since most of the alumni worked only in nonprofits), but with time, the alumni base can only grow.

i think if they properly leverage their position with their other schools (by pushing their dual degree programs, and also by creating exciting electives at these schools and promoting them heavily), they will continue their upward trend. even though they are ranked in the 10-20 range now, this is a very far step up from 10 years ago, when they were on no one's radar.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
Kudos
asimov wrote:
I think Texas-McCombs has great potential for upward movement. The top schools are all grouped around business hubs: East Coast, California, Chicago. There’s not a school of similar caliber in the Southwest. But there are a few business centers: Dallas and Houston. Texas economy is going strong, whereas some of the traditional hubs are decline, see California. McCombs definitely has the potential to attract top talent, especially in Texas with its super low in-state tuition ($26K/year). Mix it in with the growing reputation for a technology hub and the attractive location, McCombs is a good bet. Plus, it’s only a top 20 school right now, so there’s plenty of room for movement.

i'm not sure what mccombs' specialty is right now, but if they can lock down and become one of the top 3 in the nation for energy, i also think they have a good shot at being a top school. part of this will have to come from faculty (new courses, new specializations), but the biggest chunk has to come from their OCR. i assume that they already have good relationships with the big oil / energy players in the area, but in order to really move up, they have to constantly train their students for the types of jobs that these companies are looking for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Princeton, if it bites the bullet and starts a business school (I never thought Oxford or Cambridge would, so they still might).

NYU should go up in the next league tables. Nothing to do with anything on the program, simply because they have added a lot more glass frontage to the building. Glass buildings do great for ranking positions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I think that one thing McCombs will have to do is expand its national brand to move up. Alternatively, what schools do you think will be moving down to compensate for another school moving up?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What about Georgetown? I hear they are making a lot of moves recently. Also, they have a new glass building :)
GMAT Club Bot