Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 20:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink]
I see that you are very confident on Quant. If that is the case, do not concentrate too much of your energy solving Quant questions. Probably you can pick some topics from these forums - Say GMATPREp + number properties and solve around 10 questions. (WIth the tagging feature, it is easy to search the specific category questions based on the tags. Really very handy. I appreciate the forum moderators for introducing this tagging facility). SOlving OG PS questions is waste since they are definitely NOT above 48 / 49 score. So other than satisfaction that you did PS from OG, nothing more will you gain solving Quant from OG that too at this crucial period. And I believe you are well above that limit.

If I were you, I would rather go thru the SC questions - all the mistakes that I made during my earlier attempt and see how I am doing now...Did I know what mistake I did and how to attack similar problem. Same I think I will be doing for CR & RC.

Good Luck.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MGMAT#4: 710 (Q48, V38)

Quant Right / Wrong

• PS: 14/8
  • DS: 9/6
Verbal
  • CR: 6/8
  • RC: 8/4
  • SC: 12/3

Comments:
  • My first 700+ on a CAT. :-D
  • Huge dip in CR from the last MGMAT.
  • Little improvement in RC & SC! :)
  • Started off verbal slow. Used up almost 22 mins, by the time I was done with only 10 problems. However, I ended the test 7/8 mins early. The dip in CR was a speeding ticket, I guess.

Originally posted by Jivana on 27 Oct 2009, 15:30.
Last edited by Jivana on 27 Oct 2009, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Wow.....This really is an encouraging factor to have just couple of days before the D-Day.....Are you planning to take any more CAT?

Your SC is improved a lot from your previous score. RC is also NOT bad at all.......Good going overall..... :beer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks Mrsmarthi,

Yeah, I really wanted to see a 700+ score on one of these CATs. It really boosts your confidence.

Planning to do the GMATPrep#2 two days from now, and possibly one more MGMAT before the GMATPrep 2 repeat on Sunday!

I hope I haven't peaked yet, god willing...the best is yet to come!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6513 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Congratulations on the 700 score!!My D-day's on the 9th and I still have' nt seen the magical number :( Moreover instead of being charged up and raring to go I hardly feel like studing :(

All the best!!!! Do very very well:):)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Tejal, Thanks for the wishes.

I understand what you mean by not feeling charged up. What I will suggest is set up your own little battles, small targets, and take your best shot - success will breed success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATPrep 2 (1st attempt): 700 (Q47, V39)

PS: 4 misses
DS: 8 misses

SC: 4 misses
CR: 3 misses
RC: 2 misses

Thoughts:

Quant: My timing is pretty good, so took it easy during this section, but paid the price at the end, when I was crammed for room. The last 2 or 3 were random guesses. Overall, GMATPrep is much easier than what I have seen on MGMAT.

Verbal: Went very good, overall. I felt that the level of the problems I got was definitely a bit tougher than the ones I have seen on the GMATPrep 1.

Summary:

A 5-point improvement in verbal, compared to the GMATPrep 1 retake, but a 3-point drop in quant.
DS is definitely a concern now.
Happy at the Verbal improvement, but disappointed at Quant.

Comments, advice, suggestions, strategies -- All welcome!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
I am happy with your verbal - almost close to what you are targeting at. But didn't expect quant at 47 when you were almost consistently hitting 50 / 51 in MGMAT which is much harder than GMAT. I strongly feel this score is little below your expectation. Yep.....Looks like you made a lot of silly mistakes in DS. Otherwise GMAT Quant is NOT that hard rather it is very very tricky.

Yep I too feel that GMATPrep 2 is little harder than GMATPrep 1. BTW, did you see any repeats or known questions that you already solved outside the exam? I hope NOT.

Overall the score should boost your confidence for you to take the real GMAT. But make sure you don't take Quant on a lighter side in the real one. :)

Originally posted by mrsmarthi on 29 Oct 2009, 16:59.
Last edited by mrsmarthi on 29 Oct 2009, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks Mrsmarthi, The verbal score was very pleasing to the eye. But the disappointment soon crept in, once I looked at the quant score. However, there is still room for improvement in verbal.

I'm reviewing the misses right now, and it seems on a lot of the DS problem, I went by my gut feeling instead of actually working out the math. I started the math, checking the data points, but somewhere in the middle I realized that I got enough and know the answer, my hunch is right, so picked the answer and went to the next. This is a very bad habit I had when I started out; I got over it, but seems like in the last few days I had relaxed on a bit too much with all my focus on verbal at the moment. It seems that Quant is trying to remind me who's the Boss, and that I must pay attention to 'it' sometimes as well. :-D

For PS, 3 were genuine misses, and 1 was a mis-read. To my surprise, I even got the probability / combinatorics problem right, which I have always considered to be my biggest weakness in quant.

I'm discouraged, a bit, but surely not down. Come Monday, it's gonna be a glorious battle, one worth remembering.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Wow....I really see the confidence in your preparation. I wish you carry the same confidence till you come out of the exam hall........:gl

How about solving one last DS question - You can do this after you complete the actual GMAT :)

Quote:
In "The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ???" where '???' is '7*0' and 1<=*<=9. Is * > 2?

A) * is a prime number.
B) Recursive Sum of the digits until the sum leads to a single digit in '7*0' is <= 7.

Caution: DO NOT attempt to solve this DS as a practice. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
lol Mrsmarthi!!

I guess this is what GMAT prep does to you, start seeing primes, integers, fractions, negatives in a DS setting.

BTW. I will give it a try after the real thing is over..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
When are you planning to take another CAT? And which one are you planning to take GMAT Prep / MGMAT CAT? What ever it is, try taking the CAT with AWA as many suggest - this might give a bit of warmup before your actual deal......

BTW, do you feel whether the RC passages in MGMAT are comparable to GMATPrep? I don't feel so. They look little hard and also very difficult to bring down the contenders for the ans. :(

Why was the quant so less in your GMATPrep...i was completely bit shocked to see a 47. Hey.....if you think you have time and would like to practice some Quant questions, take up GMATClub tests. The questions are not on par with GMATPrep questions but definitely they do test the minute things which GMAT normally tries to trick us.

I completed around 4 tests, and started realizing why most of the forum members, who ever gave the tests, give a very positive feedback.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I'm gonna do the GMATPrep#2 repeat tomorrow with the AWA. No more MGMATs, I think towards the end of one's preparation it's best to stay as close to the original material as possible. Since neither MGMAT nor Kaplan can truly emulate GMAT material there will be bound to be certain discrepancies.

Most of my misses in Quant on the test yesterday were silly errors, something I think I can avoid over the next few days. I know that my main focus was on verbal, and hence the slacking off in quant.

I did take 7/8 GMATclub tests, they are pretty tough but I found the wording / language very different than GMAT's hence do not plan on doing any more in the last 2-3 days I have left.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Good luck jivana....hope you hit it out of the park too!

Jivana wrote:
I'm gonna do the GMATPrep#2 repeat tomorrow with the AWA. No more MGMATs, I think towards the end of one's preparation it's best to stay as close to the original material as possible. Since neither MGMAT nor Kaplan can truly emulate GMAT material there will be bound to be certain discrepancies.

Most of my misses in Quant on the test yesterday were silly errors, something I think I can avoid over the next few days. I know that my main focus was on verbal, and hence the slacking off in quant.

I did take 7/8 GMATclub tests, they are pretty tough but I found the wording / language very different than GMAT's hence do not plan on doing any more in the last 2-3 days I have left.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Jivana wrote:

I think you are almost there.
It is known that MGMAT's scoring is not accurate.
Maybe you are ready for the real test!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks Snipertrader! I really hope so. If not a grand slam, at least a home run! :-D

Diogoguitarrista, ready or not, it's on!

In less than 48 hrs, it will be over....hopefully, with acceptable results.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATPrep 2 (2nd & final attempt): 740 (Q50, V39)

PS: 2 misses
DS: 2 misses

SC: 5 misses
CR: 3 misses
RC: 2 misses

Thoughts:

AWA: Went well, unfortunately couldn't copy the essays. Not sure if there is any way to copy any text out of GMATPprep in any way? Either way, it's too late now, and I do not really care.

Quant: There were about 4/5 repeats, I selected one wrong intentionally to negate any advantage I had by getting repeats. My timing is pretty good with quant, so took it easy during this section. However, I was already feeling the stress of going through it all, with verbal still to come. Spend more time on DS this time, trying to avoid my bad habit of going by the 'gut feeling'. Decent results, but still two misses in each.

Verbal: Went well. Just as the quant section, there were 4/5 repeats here as well. So selected one SC & one RC wrong. Towards the end, I can feel that my brain was on the verge of getting fried. I would read something, and nothing would register. I would have to take my eyes of the screen just to relax for a few secs. Repeated this process at least 4-5 times.

Summary:

No improvement in verbal, compared to the GMATPrep 2 - 1st attempt.
However, If I can get this overall score on the real thing, I will consider this journey to be over, for once and for all.
Clocks ticking, less than 48 hrs left.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Founder
37322 posts