Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink]
snipertrader wrote:
Now that you familiar with GMAT Prep and the paper tests.. how would you compare the two ?
Do you think the verbal part is at par?

Most definitely. Even if it's not an exact match, it's very close. However, ETS Quants are definitely weak. I used to finish them, each section, under 20 mins and would still get only 1 or 2 wrong.

Yesterday, I did a 20 problem Kaplan DS-set, and for the first time I ran out of time! :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Folks, I need your suggestions & advice.

Initially, I was planning to take The Test, by 2nd week of Sep, so that I have a decent shot @ applying to my target schools at least in the 2nd round. At this point in time, I feel that I won't be ready for a 720-750 score with a high probability within the next 2-3 weeks.

Hence, I have decided to push it out to the 1st - 2nd week of October, and start the application process while working on GMAT preparation at the same time. Now, my question is, is this ok to do, or will I get stretched too thin? Has anyone done the two together, while working more than a 9-to-5 job? Any advice, on how to go about it.

I'm a little disappointed right now, but still do not feel rushing the GMAT is the right decision.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I intend to take the gmat around sept end and apply in R2 for most schools.
I am concurrently working on the applications as well as gmat. A lot of work like getting rec letters, transcripts etc.. need to be started well in advance.
As far as the essays go - Once you have a full set of essay's - for example - Wharton. For most schools it will be a re-hash with tweaks.

The first set is the one that needs lot of introspection and thought process.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks SniperTrader,

I think I have come to a point where I cannot separate the GMAT preparation & application process. It's better to work on both simultaneously than rush the GMAT, and bet on a miracle or something.

A bit disappointed, but a man gotta do what he gotta do!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Didn't made much progress in the last week. I have been sick a little bit, and work kept me busy most of the time.

Plan for tomorrow: Solve some OG10 problems, and do a CAT (minus the AWA for now.) Can't decide which one to go for:

GMATPrep1 - retake?
Kaplan ?
PR?
MGMAT?

PS. The more I read the MGMAT SC book, the more I realise how much I do not know about the technicalities of the SC section.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jivana wrote:

PS. The more I read the MGMAT SC book, the more I realise how much I do not know about the technicalities of the SC section.

DO not move forward if you are not able to retain any of the info. Instead stop. Get distracted, relax, etc and re-read again - copy the material on a sheet of paper, make notes in a notebook - do anything you can to keep SC strong and not move on until you understood and remembered the section fully. Be dilligent.

As to the tests - does not matter - any one will work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks BB, for the feedback.

I think I have been a little too harsh on myself by the previous comment. :)
The problem I have with SC is not that I don't remember the info. But more of applying it when a gun's pointing to my head (yes, that's how I feel when I'm doing a timed verbal section.) As most would say, that you shouldn't spend more than 90 secs on a SC, and that's where it's killing me. I can probably improve another 20% only if I had say 20-30 secs more for each SC.

I guess, the only thing I can do is keep practicing away, and hope that timing improves over time (sic.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Jivana,

I am in the same boat ..

Jivana wrote:

I think I have been a little too harsh on myself by the previous comment. :)
The problem I have with SC is not that I don't remember the info. But more of applying it when a gun's pointing to my head (yes, that's how I feel when I'm doing a timed verbal section.) As most would say, that you shouldn't spend more than 90 secs on a SC, and that's where it's killing me. I can probably improve another 20% only if I had say 20-30 secs more for each SC.

I guess, the only thing I can do is keep practicing away, and hope that timing improves over time (sic.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Took a CAT today (the Kaplan Premier program CD ROM CATs.) Not too excited about the final outcome, specially verbal:

Kaplan CAT 1: 600 (Q48, V29)

Break down:
    Quant: Missed 10!
  • PS: 80% correct
  • DS: 50% correct
    Verbal: Missed 18! :shock:
  • SC: 62% correct
  • CR: 50% correct
  • RC: 50% correct

Here are my thoughts:

Quant: It is not bad, but still lot of room for improvement. I know I can do better than this, so gotta keep fighting.

Verbal: The score says it all, nothing more I can add. The only silver lining is that it probably cannot get any worse than this, so hopefully it gets better from here on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
I read that Kaplan does not predict much accuracy to the real GMAT. So I wouldn't worry too much about Kaplan score. Did you take MGMAT score. If GMAT Prep is the closest, then MGMAT CAT is + / - 50 to the closest. So why don't you try taking MGMAT and see how it goes.

One more thing, I would not suggest taking the tests continuously.It does no good if you don't know what are your weak areas and put some effort in improving them. Based on Kaplan test, see if you can figure out where you made most mistakes and try improving them for the next couple of days. Then retake another CAT and see how you are doing. I think that might be better.

If you are targetting for 700+score, there is no short cut way than getting the basics strong. I would not rush to take the GMAT just to meet the application dead line because a lot is dependent on the GMAT score. Even if it is a year late, I would prefer to hit the GMAT score to the best I can. Only then will I proceed with my applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback, Msmarthi.

Kaplan is just one test, and based on what I hear, it's tough. So I'm really not that concerned with the score. And yes, MGMAT will be next. (I was trying to do the CAT 1, but somehow it got screwed up and now I can't get into it. So I guess I have to jump directly to CAT2.)

Yes, I'm targeting 700+ :-D
I already had to push my test out into October, I missed the R1 train long time back.

What schools are you looking at?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ugimba wrote:
Jivana,

I am in the same boat ..

Ugimba, we gotta keep fighting man.

Can't let GMAT win! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Jivana,
what's the update? how is your progress coming up?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi Ugimba, My apologies for not updating this thread. And, thanks for checking up.

In short, the last month was very disappointing, a lot of things happening, personal & work. GMAT preparation was nil. Don't even know if I can get a 650 if I were to take the GMATPrep right now. That's how messed up my confidence level is. :(

Right now, I'm at a point where I have about 4 weeks to take my shot, or postpone my mba plans to next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Latest update: I'm still on the sidelines, but veering towards taking the 'shot' in 3 weeks. I haven't booked the date yet, so we will see.....

Today, I decided to open up the OG10 and work on some problems to see where I stand. Did about 15-20 problems in each section, and got mixed results. Here is a breakdown:

PS: 19/20 (35 mins)
DS: 18/20 (18 mins)
CR: 13/15 (28 mins)
SC: 12/15 (12 mins)
RC: 09/12 (17 mins)

I'm planning to solve a few more of these, and take the GMATPrep-1 in a couple of days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The date has been set, the countdown has started....three weeks till D-day.

Here's the high-level plan, for the next three weeks:

OG10
    OG12
    MGMAT SC
    Powescore CR bible
    GMATPrep CATs
    MGMAT CATs
    GMATCLUB Quant Tests (Maybe 1 or 2 every week.)

May the force be with me! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATPrep 1 (retake): 700 (Q50, V34)

PS: 3 misses
DS: 4 misses

SC: 6 misses
CR: 5 misses
RC: 0 misses :lol:

Thoughts:

There were 4-5 repeats in Quant, and about 2/3 in Verbal. Ironically, I missed 3 repeats in Quant and all of them in verbal, but one.

Quant: It took me about 55 mins for the first 35 problems. I had about 15-20 mins for the last 2 problems, I still managed to get both of them wrong! :oops:

Verbal: Finished it about about 8 mins ahead. Based on my initial review of the CR/SC misses, it seems I narrowed it down to the last two in most cases, but still missed the boat.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts