Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: What are the good GM programs - with C/EVP level mentors? [#permalink]
RE: Dow

I believe their program provides either a $100K signing bonus, or wipes out your student loans. I forget which one. But something along those lines.

And most people that join the program have to live in Midland, MI (Headquarters) for an extended period of time. This will not float everyone's boat... that's why compensation/perks/advancement are all top notch to make up for it.
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Yeah, the perks are great with Dow, but you do have to live in Midland - which is a definite downside for many...read: it's not for everyone.

They do offer complete tuition reimbursement, I've heard of signing bonuses up to $130K and salaries that start at $130K with bonuses on top of that...plus they put you on a very accelerated career path with amazing mentorship. Their internship offers complete relocation expenses, paid apartments, country club memberships, a car for the duration of your internship, etc. The program has it's downsides such as location, and it's a chemical company, but the structure and the rest sound great...hence I'm digging around for other, similar programs that aren't based out of Midland.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
fluidian wrote:
Yeah, the perks are great with Dow, but you do have to live in Midland - which is a definite downside for many...read: it's not for everyone.

They do offer complete tuition reimbursement, I've heard of signing bonuses up to $130K and salaries that start at $130K with bonuses on top of that...plus they put you on a very accelerated career path with amazing mentorship. Their internship offers complete relocation expenses, paid apartments, country club memberships, a car for the duration of your internship, etc. The program has it's downsides such as location, and it's a chemical company, but the structure and the rest sound great...hence I'm digging around for other, similar programs that aren't based out of Midland.

I'd also be interested to know if you come across anything like it... but feel these are very rare. That money is the premium you get for living in Midland, imo.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Roche pharmaceuticals has a very selective MBA rotational program. I think they only take 10 students total across 3 different functions.

RF
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
I know some higher ups at Roche...I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the heads up.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
With the Roche-Genentech deal there are actually now 2 programs in the US: one is the legacy Genentech program, which is a 2 year program and comparable in size to other pharma/biotech rotation programs, and one is the legacy Roche program, which is a 6 year program (3 2-year rotations) and is significantly more selective.

From talking to some people in the Roche program, it sounds like it hadn't been really offered in the US before so it's still getting up to speed here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
What industry do you want...there is a huge difference in lifestyle, work you will do, background preferences, etc. Then within industry programs range greatly in terms of program size, pay, career path, etc. I know of programs that range from 1-2 people a year in 1-3billion dollar a year companies to 150ish at GE. Some huge companies have multiple GM programs for different business units, like Chevron has 3 or 4 GM then a few more finance focused ones. I have a friend who was in Midland over the summer and doesn't plan on going back because he said it is a horribly boring place to be. So it sounds like either you need to have family in the area and love it there or be completely career focused or you will be miserable there.

Rotational programs often have “executive” sponsors and you may end up working directly under them. For example an alum who just finished a rotational program I am interviewing for, she is now working as the assistant to the CEO...so she is the right hand person day to day for the CEO of a fortune 200 company. Of course not every person gets that chance but it happens at some programs.

Diversified industries can be tough on you, especially if you are doing rotations in multiple locations every 6 months. Then if you get promoted you might be moving plant to plant. Most of the jobs start outside of HQ so you probably will be in less desirable areas or maybe on the distant outskirts of a city. There are some great tech programs, like Intel, Symantec, etc....but a lot of the tech ones are more marketing or more product management focused than pure GM though.

Some consumer goods (CPG, durables, etc), heavy equipment, defense, bio/pharma, healthcare goods, airlines, automakers, mining, utilities, telecoms, oil & gas, retail, heck even catalog companies all have programs. First you need to pick an industry or at the least locations you want. Chances are if you pick an industry there will be some sort of programs, determine which of those are a fit for what you want to do, and which are more finance, operations or marketing focused. Then work at connecting with the companies that are a fit.

I know personally I have found some opportunities that are outside the box, not really where my background and recruiting focus has been...but I would love to do. They may not pay as well but they probably would be more enjoyable on a personal level. There is a lot to be said about personal satisfaction and being motivated by more than compensation and promotions.
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Hey RiverRipper,

Right now I'm just looking into programs that will likely offer the best career development experience, meaning more selective GM/leadership programs that are on the smaller side, that target only the top 5-6 B Schools. If I were to pick industries, I would chose healthcare/pharma, energy, or high tech, with regional preferences in CA/Boston/Chicago.

I'm hoping that's casting my net large enough. I'm really looking for programs that will give me a significant advantage over other emlpoyees, that are essentially fast tracked programs to upper management. I realize that this is vague, but for instance, the class of 150 at GE is likely not going to be too fast tracked, whereas the group of 1-2 at the $2billion company likely is. I think that the largest size program where faster growth could realistically be expected would be approximately a dozen ad a F50 company.

I realize that this is vague, but if you have any suggestions that fit this general frame work, your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Furthermore, I can attempt to answer any questions that you may have regarding my interests.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Whats your background in. HC seems to really put an emphasis either on function or industry experience. Like I said HC also seems to be more focused on marketing than pure GM. High Tech pure GM I would say Intel fits the bill, small program for a big company. Most tech stuff seems to be more product management than GM, there are great programs like symantec, microsoft, etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Rotational programs often have “executive” sponsors and you may end up working directly under them. For example an alum who just finished a rotational program I am interviewing for, she is now working as the assistant to the CEO...so she is the right hand person day to day for the CEO of a fortune 200 company. Of course not every person gets that chance but it happens at some programs.

Toyota has a rotational program that has a role where you report directly to the CEO. Very impressive program too, I think the total length was 4 or 5 years? From the Tuck alumni that came and presented, they sure moved up the ladder quickly.

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Very interesting topic. Hopefully we can collect some good info here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
In the car industry I think Nissan has a great program...that said not sure which one I would pick these days though.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
great thread - will be following
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Whats your background in. HC seems to really put an emphasis either on function or industry experience. Like I said HC also seems to be more focused on marketing than pure GM. High Tech pure GM I would say Intel fits the bill, small program for a big company. Most tech stuff seems to be more product management than GM, there are great programs like symantec, microsoft, etc.

Hey RiverRipper, as an FYI, my background is in biotech/healthcare, with some high tech spin.

Anyhow, I just got out of a presentation from Abbott. I can't say that it's rotational program is as attractive as some other programs, but it still sounded pretty decent. It looks like the end game from Abbott is their Management Development Program (MDP), and they target about 10 people a year, and each gets a ~VP mentor - so not quite EVP or C level, but not too bad either.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
One of my friends was at abbott this summer and absolutely hated it. If you want something in the HC realm and have a background you are golden. Tons of great programs there: Amgen, Genetech, B&D, Baxter, Genzyme, and tons of others...having a background is key for their GM areas usually. Corportate fin or operations you are more likely to get away without the background. Too bad you didn't make it to Kellogg's HC conference...not sure how it went this year but last year was great. It happened to be today.
Current Student
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Thanks, I've already been looking into Genentech and Amgen and a few others, but there were definitely a few new names you mentioned. As for Kellegg's HC conference - wanted to go, but was stuck with a late midterm...grrr. The Booth HC Conference, however, was a bit lame...better off just going to Bio in half a year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I would definitely make sure you put Kellogg's HC conference on your calander next year. You are just south of us and judging by how much HC stuff comes through here it will be a bigger benefit. I have been shocked with how many HC companies recruit MBAs, makes me wish I had that background.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts