Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 20:01 It is currently 22 May 2024, 20:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2331 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Re: 600 - 44Q What the hell happened?!? Horrible GMAT Experience [#permalink]
Kudos
Did you attempt GMAT Prep tests ? The GMAT Prep tests are very close to actual GMAT test and give you the exact picture of where you stand.

All other tests like MGMAT, Kaplan etc are just good for practice. Your actual GMAT scores can be way different from the score from these tests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
Did you attempt GMAT Prep tests ? The GMAT Prep tests are very close to actual GMAT test and give you the exact picture of where you stand.

All other tests like MGMAT, Kaplan etc are just good for practice. Your actual GMAT scores can be way different from the score from these tests.

Thanks for the response. No I did not do GMAT Prep. From what I have heard MGMAT is supposed to be quite accurate. I will use GMAT Prep over the next month as my benchmark. I did however, use OG 10, OG 11, and OG 12 so I am quite confused as to how I scored so poorly in the Verbal section.

Regardless, are there any recommendations that you can make to help me improve my verbal other than going through the PowerScore books? I have heard that it is a good practice to solve the RCs in your head before "looking" for the answer.

Suggestions?
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
luckydude wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

Thanks for the response. No I did not do GMAT Prep. From what I have heard MGMAT is supposed to be quite accurate. I will use GMAT Prep over the next month as my benchmark. I did however, use OG 10, OG 11, and OG 12 so I am quite confused as to how I scored so poorly in the Verbal section.

Regardless, are there any recommendations that you can make to help me improve my verbal other than going through the PowerScore books? I have heard that it is a good practice to solve the RCs in your head before "looking" for the answer.

Suggestions?

You missed one of the most essential tools for preparation and that also when its free.

I think you have already collected a good number books. OG is very good book for preparation, but the difficulty level is way below the actual GMAT questions level. Keep working with your new books and attempt GMATPrep tests. It has lot of difficult questions, equivalent to original GMAT test. You get 2 free tests, but you can reset the tests and attempt them again and again. I did it thrice, resulting in 6 (3 X 2) tests. It has such a huge database of questions that you would find new set of question in each attempt.

Having said that, prepare error log at the end of each test, evaluate where you are making lot of mistakes, and work more on those areas.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
luckydude wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

Suggestions?

You missed one of the most essential tools for preparation and that also when its free.

I think you have already collected a good number books. OG is very good book for preparation, but the difficulty level is way below the actual GMAT questions level. Keep working with your new books and attempt GMATPrep tests. It has lot of difficult questions, equivalent to original GMAT test. You get 2 free tests, but you can reset the tests and attempt them again and again. I did it thrice, resulting in 6 (3 X 2) tests. It has such a huge database of questions that you would find new set of question in each attempt.

Having said that, prepare error log at the end of each test, evaluate where you are making lot of mistakes, and work more on those areas.

Bigoyal,

I can't thank you enough for your insight. I plan to incorporate the 3000RCs as they are a bit more difficult than the GMAT RCs. But in my mind, I expect SC and RC to carry me to the upper 600s to low 700s.

Thanks again.

I hope others share your insight as I know there are a lot of experienced test takers on here who have faced similar problems in their own quest for 700.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
I recently took my GMAT too (on 11/23/2009) and my quant was ok Q48, but I really felt verbal was way difficult from GMATPrep or OG12. I think I was doing well on RC and I am almost certain I got my first two RCs completely correct and then on I see questions being very hard and my last two RCS were just too long and had only two looong paragraphs. Somehow I managed my time really bad, I had 20 mins for last 20 questions and I just rushed through them (should've thought of a better strategy upfront - like taking 1.75 mins for 12 questions and working fast or guessing last 8). Anyway I managed only a V32 and I was getting V35-40 in my practice tests. I admit that I really didn't spend much time on practicing verbal... I only did some practice on SC, but CR I was confident I can crack and RC I was thinking I would be getting 60% right..

One question though. Does one need to read all OG10,11 and 12 ? isn't it enough just to do OG12 ( Iam thinking its the superset of OG10,11) - are there some questions in 10,11 that are not in 12 ? does anybody know ?
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
srini123 wrote:
One question though. Does one need to read all OG10,11 and 12 ? isn't it enough just to do OG12 ( Iam thinking its the superset of OG10,11) - are there some questions in 10,11 that are not in 12 ? does anybody know ?

OG10 has lot more questions then 11 or 12. What GMAC did was divide OG10 into three books, i.e. OG 11, Verbal supplement and Quant supplement. The questions in these books are mostly inherited from OG10. In OG12, some questions from OG11 has been replaced with new set of questions but most of the questions are again repeated.

If you are doing OG12, I don't think there is a need to do OG11 or 10. Alternatively you can get yourself a OG Verbal supplement or Quant supplement.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Thanks Bigoyal +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
luckydude, I don't feel alone after reading this post. Last 2 weeks I'd gone into a recluse after the actual GMAT and a horrible verbal score (overall 64x).
I share your feeling that the actual test has got different that the mocks (in the last 2-3 weeks, my verbal was consistently 39-41 in both GMAT prep and MGMAT tests). But the real test was in 20s.

There may have been fatigue but not that bad and during the test I felt that I was getting the questions right, but the RCs being thrown at me seemed to get easier (all four of them 2 short paragraphs), so I guess I was actually messing up at some place.
On the contrary, the SCs seemed to be getting tougher towards the end.
Also, compared to the prep-tests, the real test had more cases of dubious answers (2 options, very close contenders).

The only time I received such low score out of ~15 odd mock tests I'd given was in the Veritas test. So I think something may have changed in the verbal section algorithm as well...

This time I'm also focusing on RC. The 1000RC and 1000CR (had only completed ~20% of those during the first attempt). Good luck to you on the second attempt and lets try to crack it this time!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [0]
Send PM
srini123 wrote:
I recently took my GMAT too (on 11/23/2009) and my quant was ok Q48, but I really felt verbal was way difficult from GMATPrep or OG12. I think I was doing well on RC and I am almost certain I got my first two RCs completely correct and then on I see questions being very hard and my last two RCS were just too long and had only two looong paragraphs. Somehow I managed my time really bad, I had 20 mins for last 20 questions and I just rushed through them (should've thought of a better strategy upfront - like taking 1.75 mins for 12 questions and working fast or guessing last 8). Anyway I managed only a V32 and I was getting V35-40 in my practice tests. I admit that I really didn't spend much time on practicing verbal... I only did some practice on SC, but CR I was confident I can crack and RC I was thinking I would be getting 60% right..

srini123! ah, ur havin similar tragedy too! Good to read all the retake strategies here...
I'll try to get hold of a OG10/11 for verbal practice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmattokyo wrote:
luckydude, I don't feel alone after reading this post. Last 2 weeks I'd gone into a recluse after the actual GMAT and a horrible verbal score (overall 64x).
I share your feeling that the actual test has got different that the mocks (in the last 2-3 weeks, my verbal was consistently 39-41 in both GMAT prep and MGMAT tests). But the real test was in 20s.

There may have been fatigue but not that bad and during the test I felt that I was getting the questions right, but the RCs being thrown at me seemed to get easier (all four of them 2 short paragraphs), so I guess I was actually messing up at some place.
Also, compared to the prep-tests, the real test had more cases of dubious answers (2 options, very close contenders).

The only time I received such low score out of ~15 odd mock tests I'd given was in the Veritas test. So I think something may have changed in the verbal section algorithm as well...

This time I'm also focusing on RC. The 1000RC and 1000CR (had only completed ~20% of those during the first attempt). Good luck to you on the second attempt and lets try to crack it this time!!

Gmattokyo,

What specifically are you doing and/or have you heard that can be done to improve timing? I recently bought the CR and SC Bibles from Powerscore, I think they will be highly beneficial. Further, I will be doing the 3000RCs and I believe it will improve my performance.

One of the biggest issues I had was I felt that I was "over diagramming" on both CR and RC. As a result, I spent waaaaay too much time on each of these problems. I will see what I can do to reduce my diagramming for each of these and I should be good to go.

If anyone knows any strategies to improve verbal timing, please let me know! I already practice with a stopwatch, perhaps I should try to do all of my CRs in under 90 seconds.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [0]
Send PM
luckydude wrote:
gmattokyo wrote:

Gmattokyo,

What specifically are you doing and/or have you heard that can be done to improve timing? I recently bought the CR and SC Bibles from Powerscore, I think they will be highly beneficial. Further, I will be doing the 3000RCs and I believe it will improve my performance.

One of the biggest issues I had was I felt that I was "over diagramming" on both CR and RC. As a result, I spent waaaaay too much time on each of these problems. I will see what I can do to reduce my diagramming for each of these and I should be good to go.

If anyone knows any strategies to improve verbal timing, please let me know! I already practice with a stopwatch, perhaps I should try to do all of my CRs in under 90 seconds.

Thanks!

Your approach sounds fine. I read through the powerscore cr bible (should have done it first time around) and now doing the 1000RC and CR docs. For me it is less than 2 weeks now as I'd scheduled in the first possible date, maybe a rush, but just wanted to give it a go as soon as possible.
At the same time I'm making sure to practice few quant questions frequently (MGMAT challenge archive and GMAT Club tests). There is this big fear of getting lower quant scores during the retake in quest for higher verbal!

The techniques are individual preferences. I don't do any diagramming (except if those rare intricate logic Qs are there where u have to know necessary/sufficient/subconditions etc.). But make it a point to scribble something in RC, not looking at the screen...

Did anyone try the mba.com teasers? I had done it earlier when I started the prep and remember the performance as horrible. It'd be absurd and stupid, but I hope they don't use the performance there to correlate with the real exam (another conspiracy theory :wink: )

One of my friend's instructor had this take on the scores:
"-test day nervousness
-bad luck: questions may not be difficult but you might have got questions that were rare exceptions to some

The only area where questions many sound different from the previously known ones is CR: completely new ways of reasoning can come up"

So I suppose with enough practice, we have the "new ways of reasoning" covered, but the luck and conspiracy-theory part can't be helped with...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37466 posts