Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 14:14 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 14:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 522 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: low Gmat score of 510 ( Q 44 vs 17 V) [#permalink]
KocharRohit wrote:
I didn't take any GmatPrep test before exam..I took one before starting preparing for GMAT and got 500..I do not know the exact verbal score ..that was two months back .
My mistake was that i didn't take much of verbal tests..

I would take the GMAT Prep, at the least the verbal part, and go from there. This will tell you whether you had a bad test day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2395 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Hi Rohit,

If you agree that you didnt practised RC very well then thats your next target. I would suggest go thru 1000RC. Most of the passages are very big and in each passage there are 9 questions on an average. So this would definitely test your concentration level and patience and try solving 2 RC at a time and then keep on increasing it.

I did it same way now i can solve 4 RC at a stretch with accuracy of 70% but atleast i dont loose my patience while solving those question.

Let me know if this helps you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi Rohit,
I am in the same boat as u r with my verbal scores in 5 mgmat tests ranging between 19-28. I went through mgmat sc guide, rc and crand right now studying CRbible. on my recent mgmat cat, my verbal improved from 19 to 28. and my total score jumped from 510 to 570. i still have a long way to go , but practising surely helps. cr improved to 80% using the t-diagram method from mgmat and other tips from CR bible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
So did you appear for GMAT? I am thinking of retaking but still not mentally prepare .
RC is a nightmare for me and I need to work very hard on my reading skills although I was very
confident in SC but don not what happend on that day . All the questions were so diiferent and it was too
difficult to figure out the erors..How to improve RC and CR in one month time ?
Do you have any idea?
Thanks
Rohit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
The GMAT Prep tests are very close to actual GMAT test and give you the exact picture of where you stand.

I would suggest you to attempt GMATPrep tests multiple times. It has lot of difficult questions equivalent to original GMAT test. You get 2 free tests, but you can reset the tests and attempt them again and again. I did it thrice, resulting in 6 (3 X 2) tests. It has such a huge database of questions that you would find new set of question in each attempt.

Having said that, prepare error log at the end of each test, evaluate where you are making lot of mistakes, and work more on those areas.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rohit,

Guess your post" did u take gmat?" was refering to my post. I didnot go through all the replies above.

No I have not taken gmat yet. It is schled on the 28th of this month-1 week to go.
will let you know my scores. I'm expecting between 490-580. well, these r my worst and best scores on 6 mgmat tests. But will not end my gmat preparation with this. I know I can do better.

for CR- I got this Powerscore CR Bible book recently. read 1/2 way through. Too good for CR. My CR has been way better than SC and RC. Rc is worst for me too. I donot have much time left for gmat test now. but i will surely go through this 1000rc at some point.
did u read the RC_cheat _sheet that is posted on the forum in yesterdays date? I read thru it and will try to apply those points while doing rc. hope it will help a lot.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks buddy!! I am still trying to motivate myself for another preparation..CR and RC are worst for me..
I will take this LSAT bible and try to read the CR again..I have to work little on quants now..
But really it is difficult to grasp the RC in 1-2 months preparation and it requires dedication and continuous practice
or if you have already prepared for CAT , you can tackle it..But still we can try and give our best..
Dude we are on the same boat so keep me inform about your score and preperation..
All the very best and happy Gmatting..
Rohit
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V28
Send PM
@bigoyal can you please tell me how do i get my verbal score improved from 24 to 34 or 36. English is becoming nightmare for me. CR is the main concern for me. I usually get just 1 or 2 correct out of 13. So can you please tell me what to do? i have finished my og 10 and halfway thru og 12 and frankly speaking i dont find them that much helpful since CR question in og looks very simple to me as compared to question in GMATPREP. Many time it happens to me that i am not able to understand CR and if i succeed in that then its the option that troubles me...please help.

In maths though i am getting 47-48 consistently but want to reach 50. In maths again DS is bothering me a lot. what would you advice me to improve DS. I am solving 600-700 level questions which are posted on this site along with 1000 series and og. Is that helpful? or do i need to do something extra?

Waiting for your reply guys....suggestion from anyone is welcomed....
VP
VP
Send PM
sagarsabnis wrote:
@bigoyal can you please tell me how do i get my verbal score improved from 24 to 34 or 36. English is becoming nightmare for me. CR is the main concern for me. I usually get just 1 or 2 correct out of 13. So can you please tell me what to do? i have finished my og 10 and halfway thru og 12 and frankly speaking i dont find them that much helpful since CR question in og looks very simple to me as compared to question in GMATPREP. Many time it happens to me that i am not able to understand CR and if i succeed in that then its the option that troubles me...please help.

In maths though i am getting 47-48 consistently but want to reach 50. In maths again DS is bothering me a lot. what would you advice me to improve DS. I am solving 600-700 level questions which are posted on this site along with 1000 series and og. Is that helpful? or do i need to do something extra?

Waiting for your reply guys....suggestion from anyone is welcomed....

One thing to keep in mind is that, yes, you are having trouble in CR, but at the same time if you keep missing CR you will get easier RC and SC. Therefore, you may be getting 90% sc correct but you might be working at a very low level.

Have you tried reading Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible? Good book.

What is your trouble, the English or the logic?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V28
Send PM
yes that was the point to think about....

you can say for CR the problem is both many times i have seen that the questions on CR are on my weak topics as a result of which i am not able to understand the gist of it and even if i understand it clearly then selecting the option makes me uncomfortable. Another thing i have observed is once i know what the CR is demanding then i can boil down to last 2 options but it usually happens that the answer which i select is wrong one.

I have exactly one month for my exam so is it worth reading that bible? Have you tried it and whats is in it that everyone is recommending it?
VP
VP
Send PM
sagarsabnis wrote:
yes that was the point to think about....

you can say for CR the problem is both many times i have seen that the questions on CR are on my weak topics as a result of which i am not able to understand the gist of it and even if i understand it clearly then selecting the option makes me uncomfortable. Another thing i have observed is once i know what the CR is demanding then i can boil down to last 2 options but it usually happens that the answer which i select is wrong one.

I have exactly one month for my exam so is it worth reading that bible? Have you tried it and whats is in it that everyone is recommending it?

I have read it because I was having trouble with weaken questions for some reason. I basically went to that chapter and I think it helped me a lot.

It just gets you thinking about CR in a different way. I think some other people recommended LSAT Logic or something to that extent. One month? Yeah, if you can find a copy I would skim through it.

You know I had a similar problem, for some reason OG CR was easy compared to GMAT Prep. But my problem was that reading on paper is a whole lot easier than reading on computer. It's like I got lost on the computer screen. As if I couldn't see the "whole problem"

Solution, I started doing all questions only on computer, Manhattan GMAT questions, GMAT Prep, GMAT club. I tried to do as much reading as I could on the computer and it really helped. I don't know what it was. But staring at the computer screen really threw me off in CR.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Well...i always study on my laptop so that doesnt bother me much...but i think i should order now CR bible hope it helps me...

Anyways thanks a lot
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sagarsabnis,
cr bible helps a lot. looks like you have 1 month. even if you can skim thru the topics u want to study, it still helps to improve score. I got this book little late too. i wish i got it earlier.

@ rohit,
i donot have the lsat book. many ppl say its too good. but i am going thru the cr bible.
by the way,
gave gmatprep test 1 today: 640 , Q45, V 33.
out of 41 verbal, 8 sc wrong, 3 cr wrong and 2 rc wrong. finished right on time. i stopped notes taking in exam ( if i do, i'm not able to finish on time) but trying my best to UNDERSTAND RC and retain-short term memory. its working better
overall result--- im not able to understand if i got easier question bank?? but, i was more confident about verbal today then before. 1 rc was tough to understand, finally I didnot really understand the whole thing. just read question by question and tried my best to find answer. looks like i answerd right.

i'm giving couple more prep test this week and hope my score continues.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1490 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
KocharRohit wrote:
Hi guys,
I gave my GMAT yesterday and got shattered with a low score of 510 . It wasn't my day.I am in dilemma of retaking it. But seriosuly real GMAT verbal is really tough and very different from mock tests . I did Manhatten SC
and was very confident with my SC part . I never got less than 60% correct in SC . But GMAT SC yesterday
wasn't that easy . I do not what the hell they tested yesterday? I didn't get any question even close to the common idioms which I memorized . Although i studied idioms and modifers properly , it was too difficult to find the right answers. I spent around 2 and a half month for GMAT . I must admit that I didn't study RC seriously and hence I paid for it. I didn't had patience to go through long RC in the exam because I haven't pratised much of RC's. I gave three verbal test of Manhatten and scored 20 , 27 and 30 . I was confident to score 25 and was confident to score at least 600 . But everything was in vain. Now I would ask the you guys , how much time do you think I need to enhance my verbal skill? . Can I do this in a month and a half because I have no patience of going for a long preperation.
Please give some genuine advice and I would really appreciate..

Thanks
Rohit

Could you provide more information about your RC preparation? How long does it take you to read the passage? do you have difficulties with a specific type of question? what is your hit rate on the OG? Are you aware of the typical incorrect answer choices and traps? what strategy do you use? Do you take notes?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Dont loose the sprit and I am sure with more effort and inputs from experts (from this club) will definitely bump your score up.

Good luck.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts