Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 05:32 It is currently 03 May 2024, 05:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q48  V25 GMAT 2: 690  Q49  V35
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Re: GMAT summary: 650 to 760 (49Q, 44V)!!! [#permalink]
Congratulations!
I keep imaginning my face after seeing the results on the monitor ;) I have 25 more days to go!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey Daniel,

Awesome post and tips! Congrats :)

I don't think I ever read a debrief that shared a lot of things in common with me and thus, making this read much more personal and enjoyable.

First off, I only scored 1190 (690 Math, 500 Verbal) on my SAT as well. I couldn't get around to studying all that vocab. Second of all, I'm currently enrolled in MGMAT in-person prep course and just recently took the first DIAG, I scored a 660 (44Q, 36V). I hope that I can get the same GMAT score as you when I take the test :P

I just got a couple questions.

How long after the MGMAT prep course did you take the exam? Did you follow MGMAT's recommended 2-4 week timeframe?

What did you put on your notecards? My MGMAT instructor told us to put down OG problems we were having trouble with. I'm using the Study Organizer/OG Tracker btw.

You mentioned that CR/RC wasn't hard to improve on. Did you follow MGMAT's strategy of diagramming? It seems to me when I do this, I waste a lot of valuable time. Takes me like 5 minutes to read/diagram an RC.

Also, you said you caught your weakness in SC pretty late? What did you do? Read the SC guide again?

Any other tips?

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to streamline my approach with yours :-D
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Congrats! One of the best scores I've seen here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Hey back - that's funny, definitely a lot of similarities!

I added responses below:

akuma wrote:
Hey Daniel,

Awesome post and tips! Congrats :)

I don't think I ever read a debrief that shared a lot of things in common with me and thus, making this read much more personal and enjoyable.

First off, I only scored 1190 (690 Math, 500 Verbal) on my SAT as well. I couldn't get around to studying all that vocab. Second of all, I'm currently enrolled in MGMAT in-person prep course and just recently took the first DIAG, I scored a 660 (44Q, 36V). I hope that I can get the same GMAT score as you when I take the test :P

I just got a couple questions.

How long after the MGMAT prep course did you take the exam? Did you follow MGMAT's recommended 2-4 week timeframe?

Yes. My course finished on December 19 and I took the test on Jan 4. If anything, I thought that was too much time - I think if you put in a lot during the course, you should be ready in two weeks.

What did you put on your notecards? My MGMAT instructor told us to put down OG problems we were having trouble with. I'm using the Study Organizer/OG Tracker btw.

Anything and everything. For SC, I would put a lot of idioms. For math problems, I would try and put just the piece I didn't understand . . . i.e. if there were five steps, I didn't put all five if I got steps 3-5.

You mentioned that CR/RC wasn't hard to improve on. Did you follow MGMAT's strategy of diagramming? It seems to me when I do this, I waste a lot of valuable time. Takes me like 5 minutes to read/diagram an RC.

Ehhhh. I tried it - I think it helped me learn. I probably used it once on the actual test. I do think it's good practice b/c it makes you go through the critical aspects - but I think it's best to phase out of that as you get closer to the actual test. Just my opinion.

Also, you said you caught your weakness in SC pretty late? What did you do? Read the SC guide again?

It's funny. I got a tip from my brother (English major in college, really smart). When I went back to PA for Christmas, we were doing a few SC together - he obviously had no prior training in these questions and kept getting them right. I was like, wtf? How are you getting all these? His tip was just look at the verb. I think I always tried to focus on 10 different things - but he's right. If you focus on the verb, you can generally eliminate 2-3 answers right off the bat. I used this during the test and I think it really helped.

Any other tips?

My only other tip - which I should have posted above - is to not get too hung up on any one particular MG math question. Some of their test questions require like 50 steps and 10 minutes. You'll never see something like that on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Daniel

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to streamline my approach with yours :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
Congrats...Great score
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats Daniel. Great score and very helpful review.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Great improvement!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Congrats..great improvement there..nice to read the debrief
Intern
Intern
Send PM
danielduq wrote:
Hey back - that's funny, definitely a lot of similarities!

I added responses below:

Thanks a lot Daniel. I appreciate the help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Daniel,
Congrats! for the GMAT score and All the very best and best wishes for your Apps.. your Debrief was Very helpful.

How ever i have a little Suggestion.

while answering Akuma's Question reg. SC you indeed mention about Focus on the Verb and suggested by that way you can Eliminate 2 or 3 choices?
Assuming this Focusing on the Verb means... Focus on the Verb in the Answers choices or on the Packages say make a note about the Verb while you gaze through the Passages.

Really appreciate if you post if you could explain us with a good example may be 1 or more SC's Questions. I am sorry being a Botheration but any simple Tip with good Explaination will help as all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Congrats... great score.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37352 posts