Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Re: UC-Berkeley, UPenn, UMiami, UT-Austin [#permalink]
Kudos
Energyfinguy wrote:
topher wrote:
This shouldn't really be a serious question. Wharton. Period.

I will cost me over $100k though. While at UMiami I can go for free. And ultimately I want to settle in Miami. I have no interest in leaving in Europe, unless it's to live in Miami. How would Wharton network be in Miami compared to UMiami? That's why the dilemma.

Well--what is the PE network like in Miami from UMiami? Seems like that is an important question for you to answer here, not just about the overall network. From what I can tell (and I am in no way shape or form part of the financial industry, so this is just from what I read/hear/learn), PE is incredibly hard to get into, even from the top 3 b-schools. Just my 2 cents.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
Energyfinguy wrote:
topher wrote:
This shouldn't really be a serious question. Wharton. Period.

Well--what is the PE network like in Miami from UMiami? Seems like that is an important question for you to answer here, not just about the overall network. From what I can tell (and I am in no way shape or form part of the financial industry, so this is just from what I read/hear/learn), PE is incredibly hard to get into, even from the top 3 b-schools. Just my 2 cents.

Well, even if could not get into PE right away, I would want to go back to IB but in Miami. Now, I know Wharton is probably the strongest IB school, but Wharton is in Philadelphia, what is the network outside of that area and especially in South Florida?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: GM or Marketing in Digital Media/Internet Products
Schools:Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Energyfinguy wrote:
LB20 wrote:
Energyfinguy wrote:

Well, even if could not get into PE right away, I would want to go back to IB but in Miami. Now, I know Wharton is probably the strongest IB school, but Wharton is in Philadelphia, what is the network outside of that area and especially in South Florida?

Dude, its Wharton. You think people that go to Wharton go there because they're interested in the network in Philly? Or that they're remotely concerned about the reach of the Wharton network outside of Philly? Its not exactly a regional school... I can't believe this question is being asked.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
If you are worried about money, i'll put it this way, I would pay you 100k cash for your Wharton admit. :P

None of the other schools you have listed even come close. This is a no-brainer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Ginetta wrote:
If you are worried about money, i'll put it this way, I would pay you 100k cash for your Wharton admit. :P

None of the other schools you have listed even come close. This is a no-brainer.

I agree with Ginetta's first point, but as for the 2nd point, Texas & Berkeley are both fantastic schools and much closer in terms of quality and reputation to Wharton than UMiami is.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
If you want to do PE post MBA, regardless of where you want to find work after bschool, go with the school with the best reputation and curriculum.

Berkley and UT-Austin are great bschools but Wharton is a better choice for PE. In PE, contacts and networks matter, especially your educational background. Your Wharton connection will take you far in this field.

Also, in the future, for any reason, you need to relocate. Wharton MBA will help you find opportunities easier (especially in PE) anywhere in US, or in other parts of the world for that matter.

This is not an assessment ranking one school against another. For PE, Wharton should be your best option and best bang for your money.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
LB20 wrote:
Ginetta wrote:

I agree with Ginetta's first point, but as for the 2nd point, Texas & Berkeley are both fantastic schools and much closer in terms of quality and reputation to Wharton than UMiami is.

Well, Texas and Miami are not ranked very far on FT actually. It also seems UMiami is moving up quickly since they took the new Dean from Wharton in 2007 actually, while Texas is on its way down.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Kudos
I should clarify my earlier comments. I do not mean to knock Haas or UT, or UMiami for that matter. When I mean they dont come close I was referring to the fact that Wharton is levels above the others for recruitment for PE. If you want to be in PE, and accept the others over Wharton, you are doing yourself wrong. It has a much stronger network in PE and Banking, and holds much more stature over the other schools in those fields. While you can get a good education at any of the schools you have mentioned, for the network and career opportunities in private equity, Wharton obliterates the other schools and should be your only choice. If you managed to get into PE, the 100k you are worried about would be recouped in your first year bonus. If you dont believe what myself and others are telling you, call a headhunter that actually places people in PE and ask them what they think of Wharton vs. Miami for candidate marketability.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Here's my (probably) final word on the topic: you have to pick the school that's right for you. You seem to be looking for reasons to accept the offer from UMiami and forget the other 3. Don't make the decision solely based on what others (including myself ) tell you based on ranking and reputation without listening to your gut about what the right "fit" is. Yes, it's true that Wharton has a global reputation, and will help you in PE, but if you really want to live in Florida and not Philadelphia while you're in school, you should go with what you feel.

That being said, take our thoughts into consideration if you're really on the fence and aren't sure about the fit of UMiami versus the other schools. I really don't know anything about UMiami, so I can't tell you whether it's really improving/on the rise, but make sure you do your research on career opportunities, network for each of the schools and visit all of them if you can (if you haven't already) to help you make the decision!!

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
Here's my (probably) final word on the topic: you have to pick the school that's right for you. You seem to be looking for reasons to accept the offer from UMiami and forget the other 3. Don't make the decision solely based on what others (including myself ) tell you based on ranking and reputation without listening to your gut about what the right "fit" is. Yes, it's true that Wharton has a global reputation, and will help you in PE, but if you really want to live in Florida and not Philadelphia while you're in school, you should go with what you feel.

That being said, take our thoughts into consideration if you're really on the fence and aren't sure about the fit of UMiami versus the other schools. I really don't know anything about UMiami, so I can't tell you whether it's really improving/on the rise, but make sure you do your research on career opportunities, network for each of the schools and visit all of them if you can (if you haven't already) to help you make the decision!!

Good luck.

Thanks a lot all. Appreciate the help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
a very famous b-school professor once said, "go to the best school you can get into, money will come". Well, especially for someone who ultimately wants to go into PE. You just can't compare the peer group at Wharton and UMiami. So you might find fewer Wharton grads in Miami, but the quality just might be higher.

so my suggestion, get the loan and go to Wharton.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
LB20 wrote:

Good luck.

Nicely put LB20.

They're all good schools, but Wharton is the best one without a doubt. Tuition is high, but Wharton will open many doors for you down the road and the money will come. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurial Management, General Management
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Dear Energyfinguy,

I believe I saw some of your posts on the BW forum. Can I ask which school you ended up choosing? I agree with the previous posters that deciding on a school is a personal decision and the best option, if possible, is to visit the programs, talk to the students, and evaluate the opportunities and culture/type of people.

I anticipate that Wharton would provide a good opportunity to make connections with other students committed to finance and PE in particular. I unfortunately have not been offered any $ but I believe attending the best b-school possible for your goals is worth the investment and if you follow your passion (whether its PE or others) the investment will be worth it in more ways than one. (experience, friendship, knowledge, network, etc...) I wish you all the best, have a good weekend.

Energyfinguy wrote:
LB20 wrote:
Ginetta wrote:

Well, Texas and Miami are not ranked very far on FT actually. It also seems UMiami is moving up quickly since they took the new Dean from Wharton in 2007 actually, while Texas is on its way down.
GMAT Club Bot