Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72911 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Help us improve our navigation menu - make a difference! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I will also add the Resume into the MBA section.

Anyone has drastic suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bb,

I have a suggestion. We can reduce the menu size and make it simple.

e.g. Display the submenu under the menu dropdown with arrow as shown in draft image. This will reduce the menu size and make sections more logical/readable.

This type of menu are used on many sites. I hope I am clear.

Attachment:
Menudesign.JPG
Menudesign.JPG [ 41.71 KiB | Viewed 2845 times ]
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you. Appreciate the suggestion.
My thought was that the menu was acceptable length - do I understand it correctly that you feel a shorter menu will be more valuable?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Yes. I certainly believe that menu is large in size.

Sub section seperation with "-" doesn't looks good. Instead we can use a seperate mechanism to display sub menu on side once we take mouse over them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Kudos
I'm unsure if the Resources tab is even needed at all. All of the options can be categorized into the GMAT or MBA tabs. When I first started on this site, it took me at least a few days to discover the other GMAT 'tools' listed under the Resources tab. Maybe some consolidation is in order?

Just a suggestion.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
perseverance wrote:
I'm unsure if the Resources tab is even needed at all. All of the options can be categorized into the GMAT or MBA tabs. When I first started on this site, it took me at least a few days to discover the other GMAT 'tools' listed under the Resources tab. Maybe some consolidation is in order?

Just a suggestion.

Thank you - great feedback. I agree.

Do you think we need anything else other than GMAT & MBA Tabs?

Do we want to add any other tabs. Options include: Admissions Consultants, Savings/Offers from GMAT Prep companies, best posts (based on kudos), anything else???
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
And of course, Kudos Spoilt and Perseverance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Thank you - great feedback. I agree.

Do you think we need anything else other than GMAT & MBA Tabs?

Do we want to add any other tabs. Options include: Admissions Consultants, Savings/Offers from GMAT Prep companies, best posts (based on kudos), anything else???

Appreciate the kudos bb. Maybe we can group things together under the GMAT and MBA tabs. Sort of like what Spoilt suggested. We can have groups such as the ones below and then have subgroups to the actual links for the threads.

GMAT
Starting your GMAT Journey: Building your study plan; GMAT FAQ; GMAT Scoring; GMAT Myths; Error Logs
GMAT Materials: Book Reviews
GMAT Courses
Math Tips
Verbal Tips
AWA
Practice CATs
GMAT Club GMAT Resources:
GMAT Club Tests; Score Estimator; Timer; iPhone Apps

MBA
Starting your Application Journey
US Programs:
Full Time (Stats/Rankings); Part Time (Stats/Rankings)
International Programs: Rankings/Stats
Profile Evaluations
Application Tips:
Getting noticed/Standing out; Essays; Resumes; Interviews
GMAT Club MBA Resources: Pre-MBA Book List; School Map; iPhone Apps

This is just a quick rough layout for how to structure the tabs. I'm probably missing something, so let's all add things as we think of them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Hey bb,
The new navigation menu came out great. Although I've been a member for a few months now, I still have a newbie-type question. Is there a way to get to forums such as Business School Life and the Career forum from the navigation menu? I always seem to go to the MBA-US Schools link (from the nav menu) and then backtrack from there.

Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
perseverance wrote:
Hey bb,
The new navigation menu came out great. Although I've been a member for a few months now, I still have a newbie-type question. Is there a way to get to forums such as Business School Life and the Career forum from the navigation menu? I always seem to go to the MBA-US Schools link (from the nav menu) and then backtrack from there.

Thanks.

Thank you for the question and noticing the change - we are trying to figure out if this is better.
What you described is the best way right now. You can also just go to the forum index page and from there hit the subforums you are interested in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I had a suggestion for the Navigation bar...Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Can we have something like a "Favorites" tab on the Navigation Bar? Every registered user will have the ability to add any post, topic or forum to his/her Favorites. It's something analogous to the Favorites functionality we have within web-browsers.

If it is not too difficult to implement, we can additionally have three options dropping down
a. Posts
b. Topics
c. Forums
Rolling the mouse over any of the three will further open up a list of all items stored within that..(something similar to how in Windows we have Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Word etc.)

I guess it goes without saying that this tab should be displayed for members currently logged in and not displayed for guests.

The reasons for having such a tab are -

1. Easier navigation - I guess most of the users routinely access certain topics while don't really visit other topics. Personally, I would list all the "Calling XYZ School" topics for the schools I'm applying to to my Favorites. Right now, one has to go through the forum index to navigate to the topic of choice. While I do like to see all topics in a forum when I have some time, I would really like the option of going to a specific topic directly when I'm in a rush (like at present, I'm checking out the Booth thread pretty frequently to check for updates on interview invites)..

2. There are some seriously awesome posts by folks such as Rhyme, Praetorian, Pelihu (to name a few) which I have come across. Now, when I need to go back to these posts, I have dig them up from the mountain of posts we have using the correct search keywords. This is time consuming. If I had the option, I would put all such posts into my "Favorites" tab so that I can reference them whenever I want.

I believe there isn't a similar functionality at present on the site. If there is, I would be happy if anyone could point it out..

Thoughts????
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for the suggestion and Kudos for finding this thread - not an easy task!

I agree. It should be done.
Right now we have a "bookmarks" functionality on the forum but I bet nobody knows how to use it or how to find their bookmarks after saving one.

Let me research this real quick.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the kudos bb!

I did try to use the bookmarks functionality and yeah, you're right, I couldn't figure out where my bookmark was saved!

Let us know more on this whenever you get a chance...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72911 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scorpionz wrote:
Thanks for the kudos bb!

I did try to use the bookmarks functionality and yeah, you're right, I couldn't figure out where my bookmark was saved!

Let us know more on this whenever you get a chance...

I have submitted the request to our server admin to code this. I don't know the execution time frame yet however. I would guess no more than a month and most likely shorter than that (there are a few other tasks on the plate).

One suggestion I am looking for, is where to place the Bookmark button. What is a good spot?
Should this be linked to Kudos perhaps? If you bookmark a post a user automatically gets Kudos?
Should we display (i.e. Facebook likes) as to how many "bookmarks" each post has?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
One suggestion I am looking for, is where to place the Bookmark button. What is a good spot?

I think it should either be the last item on the navigation bar (after Blog) or it should be the third item (between Forum & Self Prep). These two seem to be the most logical locations to me. We can check with a larger population on GC for their views on this..

bb wrote:
Should this be linked to Kudos perhaps? If you bookmark a post a user automatically gets Kudos?

This is a great idea! I hadn't thought about this at all. And it would make perfect sense - why would someone bookmark a post that is not helpful, and if it is helpful, it rightfully deserves kudos! Plus, with the new functionality of ordering posts by kudos, the most bookmarked posts will automatically rise to the top when sorted by kudos! Awesome! Sounds good!

bb wrote:
Should we display (i.e. Facebook likes) as to how many "bookmarks" each post has?

Am not sure about this one. I believe you mean something like "Bookmarked XXX times", right? I feel that we don't need this if we are going to link Bookmarks to Kudos. However, if we aren't going to do that, then this will seem more relevant...

Also, can you tell us a little bit about how Bookmarks will be implemented? Will users have the ability to bookmark individual posts only or topics & forums as well (as I had illustrated in my earlier post) ?

Once again, thanks for taking up this initiative!! You truly make GC a better place everyday! :)
GMAT Club Bot