Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 01:05 It is currently 04 May 2024, 01:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Re: Work Life Balance with a PT MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
I have to echo what the pp said about having the full support of your wife. Granted, I just started my part time MBA (at Stern) but I'm in a similar situation - married and have a seven month old. My husband has his MBA already and he is completely behind me getting mine, and understands that that means he will be parenting solo a lot of the time. I wouldn't even begin to attempt this without him being completely on board.

With that said, everyone I've talked to has said that after the first couple of semesters you'll get into a groove of some sort and the time management thing will fall into place. Also, it sounds like you have realistic expectations about timelines - giving yourself a full 5 years to complete the program will allow you to have some breathing room with regard to your scheduling. I think it's important to build some slack into your calendar, as family commitments will most likely come up at some point.

I'm already planning on using my PTO to study and attend school events - my husband and I are having fun planning our next big vacation which won't happen until I graduate. Yeah it's a sacrifice but it will be worth it in the end.

One last thing - the baby will get easier as he/she gets a little older. By six months he/she will be sleeping 12+ hours at a time - ours goes to sleep at 6:30 PM and gets up at 7:00 AM. The sleep deprivation I felt during the first few months has lifted and I'm able to stay up until 10:00 or 11:00 most nights - a good thing as school is ramping up now. It will happen for you too. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:GWSB
GMAT 2: 610
Send PM
Kudos
I am doing my second semester in part-time MBA at GWU.
Our program is flexible, so I can choose the work load. Since you are planning to take 6 credits a semester, I would assume that Ross is also offering flexible pt MBA. This flexibility would not be possible in part-time programs that offer only cohort settings.
I have two kids, but they are already 10 and 15, so it seems like much easier than having a baby around, even if only one. I will rub it again to you, that spousal support (and in my case kids too) is paramount. They know I am not much accessible during the semester, and during the finals and a week leading to it I just announce that I am on a virtual leave of absense, even if they see me around the house :). My wife is working full-time, just like myself, so she has to take almost a double of house responsibilities. That said, I still have some of my share of duties in the house: taking kids on extracurricular activities, parties, "manly" chores around the house, etc.
At GWSB we have modular curriculum, which means 7 weeks for a course, each 1.5 credits. In my second module of fall semester I had three classes, i.e. three nights a week out at school, plus homework, plus it was my first semester in graduate program after many years from my last formal education at undegraduate level. All in all, between Thanksgiving and the last final on December 17 I felt like a little kid whose Christmas was stolen by Grinch, err.. MBA studies :)
I am keeping a blog about my part-time MBA experience, so you can get a bit more insight on what it's like: https://parttimembadegree.com/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Echo all comments above.

Its going to be a load, but you should also consider your current career -- is there a trajectory, am I satisfied, etc? If the answer is no, an MBA starts to look like a better (if not necessary) option. Time management will be key if you pursue.

Best of luck,
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com
GMAT Club Bot