Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink]
Kudos
stopper5 wrote:
I was in the same shoes; everyone at work knew and was planning around. It's nerve wrecking and adds too much pressure

I'm planning to take off right after I get my bonus in March end. Though I would like to stay on till June and collect more savings before going in the red, I am somewhat forced to do this from an immigration perspective. I am on an H1B, which is a work Visa. It only gives me 6 years of work time in this country. The sooner I quit before my MBA, the more work time I would have left for my post-MBA job. Trust me, every month counts!

I'm not complaining though, i really need a long break!

Posted from my mobile device

stopper,

I'm way late to the party and don't know if my comment will be of value, but I believe that if you abandon your H1 visa and go to F1 for the time in business school, then apply for jobs upon graduation, you will be starting the 6-year cycle anew. Therefore, if you want to stay until June, I would recommend that to build up savings and experience.

There is a great website, trackitt.com which is full of info on immigration.

Good luck in business school!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Send PM
SnowinTX,

I don't think this is how it works. An MBA won't reset the 6 year clock.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
SnowinTX,

I don't think this is how it works. An MBA won't reset the 6 year clock.

Ok, I did a little more digging and found that we are both right and wrong. Just getting an MBA won't reset the clock... but an MBA out of the country will! :)

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/chang ... 79631.html

"My question is: if after I graduate with my Master's Degree, I apply for & get another H1B job - so I switch from F-1 back to H1B visa - do I get a fresh 6 year timeclock started on my new H1B?

Answer: The H-1B clock does not reset until you spend one full year outside the US. otherwise, you get the balance of your 6 years when you switch back from F-1 to H-1B. In your case, this means that you should get about 3 more years in H-1B status."

Well, this is good to know for sure...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yeupp, you have to go outside of states for 1 year... to reset the clock.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Can I re-use the OPT left over from MS?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

PS: Lemme go ahead and start a new thread for this .. that way we can consolidate some info for other member as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

PS: Lemme go ahead and start a new thread for this .. that way we can consolidate some info for other member as well.

Ok, please give us a link when you do. :-)

I believe the one year OPT is attached to F1. If you get a new F1 for business school, you are granted new 12 months of OPT, but it doesn't carry over from your past.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

A thread was started on this few weeks ago. h1-f1-conversion-87958.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Job Acquirement
Schools:Duke Class of 2012
Send PM
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
InCaseYouAsked wrote:
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.

That would be a fantastic experience! I think you should absolutely go for it. But is the missus cool with it? :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ha! Yeah, no not really. I want to go for 8 weeks, she's whittling me down to 4-6, depending on when I leave work (all dependent upon me getting accepted somewhere!).

Summer plans were also thrown off with two weddings smack dab in the middle of July, though thankfully one is in the Dominican Republic, so I really can't complain.

Alright - must resume prayers to gods of MBA Admissions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
InCaseYouAsked wrote:

That sounds amazing ! Unfortunately, I need all the money I can get, so I'll be only taking a month off, and that will be filled with typing up loose ends at home, seeing people before I move, and actually coordinating the move down South.

But if you go through with it, kudos to you !! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My situation:

Working 12 hours a day until the very last second so that I can save money and not place our investors into the hands of my coworkers (just kidding on that one!).

I wish I could travel or something but I'm trying to pinch pennies to save cash for my car payments and insurance and whatnot during school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
For me, soon as I got into Tuck, I told my manager and Director (who have been nothing but supportive and wrote 10 recs each for me). I'll be quitting in April, heading to India for a couple months of travel, family time, and golf lessons, and then backpacking through Europe, Russia, and China for another couple months. Sure, I'll miss out on a few miserable paychecks, and my entire bonus is going into my trip, but the way I see it, this is the only opportunity I'm going to get to take such an extended amount of time off.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's great, excellent idea. Biggest mistake I made after undergrad was thinking I needed to start work the next day. Graduated on Friday, started work on Monday. Dumb dumb dumb. Have a great trip!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
I'm hoping to be admitted either to Oxford or Cambridge, which would postpone school start with a few weeks. Otherwise I will have to leave directly after the U2 concert on August 22nd, which leaves me roughly 1 week to reorientate before classes begin. Gotta have priorities. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
When are you guys going to quit? Beginning or end of the summer?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8