Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 03:36 It is currently 05 May 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4696 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30853 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Besides yielding such psychological rewards as relief from stress [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
s8kadian wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect

Hello s8kadian,

I will be more than happy to help you with this one. :-)

Take a look at the opening part of the sentence: Besides yielding such psychological rewards as relief from stress,...

The above-mentioned part in the sentence tells us that apart from from yielding certain psychological rewards... Hence, we can understand that the sentence intends to talk about the entity that does something else apart from producing psychological rewards.

Hence, this particular entity must be the subject of the sentence.

Grammatically speaking, the sentence starts with a verb-ing modifier yielding.... Hence, it must logically make sense with the subject of the sentence.

The context of the sentence tells us clearly that it is deep relaxation that apart from yielding certain psychological rewards does something else as well. Hence, deep ralxation must be the subject of this official sentence.

However, in Choice E, the results of deep relaxation is the subject that leads to the modification error because the results does not yield psychological rewards. Deep relaxation does. Hence, Choice E has a modifier error.

The correct usage of Verb-ing modifiers has been covered in great details in our Free Trial Concepts course. You can register for free at e-GMAT.com and learn about the correct usage of this modifiers.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: Besides yielding such psychological rewards as relief from stress [#permalink]
I think the option A has logical prediction problem as it can be read "relief from stress, deep relaxation"
I am probably missing something since a good majority has selected A.
Help me if you can. I thought option B so also let me know what is wrong with it
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
[quote="doggita"]Besides yielding such psychological rewards as relief from stress, deep relaxation, if practiced regularly, can strengthen the immune system and produce a host of other physiological benefits.

can some one tell here " yielding" is modifier or verb , and if it is modifier then what is it referring to
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
should 'produce' not be 'produces' as 'deep relaxation' is singular ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7782 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM