Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 20:24 It is currently 19 May 2024, 20:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73273 [2]
Given Kudos: 18986
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10061 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Optimum study plan for improving/nailing Sentence Correction [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I'm not a native English speaker and SC was the main problem. So, I would recommend to go trough OG trying understand not only right but also wrong options and actively participate in SC forum. Yeah, MGMAT Sentence Correction is a good book.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Thanks for the very helpful input bb.

No, I haven't taken a prep test. I literally just got into the ballgame and since I don't need to take the GMAT for awhile, I was planning on doing a couple of months of solid basic study on the theory before doing a practice test. Then, after the practice test figure out what I really needed to focus on. As a Big Ten guy, I would be happy to get scores that could get me into the likes of Indiana (actually got my J.D. from there), OSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. So I figure somewhere around 660-ish, give or take. Of course, I would happily take a 700+ :roll:

I figured that I didn't want to pick up any bad habits and as someone who likes to be methodical, that was the easiest way to ease into things. Maybe this is the wrong approach?

BTW, I was browsing the local Borders earlier today and actually picked up the Verbal Foundations book as it seemed like the best verbal theory/study guide that they had in stock for what I thought I would likely need to know for the SC.

Tom

bb wrote:
Hey there - welcome to GMAT Club!

GMAT verbal section is easier than LSAT, sometimes much easier.
I would suggest you actually take a GMAT Prep practice test and see how you do (if you have not already).

There are a few Grammar/SC resources available but I am not sure you really need them - most of the time you can pick out an issue with the sentence just relying on your ear.

However, if you really wanted to get the answers now (without taking the practice test), would suggest Kaplan Verbal Foundations and then MGMAT SC. This should be more than enough. If you wanted to get the hardcore Grammar book that international students use, I hear Doing Grammar is pretty good (I have not used it though).

Any questions welcome.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73273 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
You may be surprised at your score - LSAT guys do pretty well (though don't feel bad if you don't ace it right away)
When you have a weekend which you don't mind killing, take the test (will need 3 hours); don't do essays - first section but instead just take the quant and verbal. I would do that so you know your weaknesses before jumping into it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hey there - welcome to GMAT Club!

GMAT verbal section is easier than LSAT, sometimes much easier.
I would suggest you actually take a GMAT Prep practice test and see how you do (if you have not already).

There are a few Grammar/SC resources available but I am not sure you really need them - most of the time you can pick out an issue with the sentence just relying on your ear.

However, if you really wanted to get the answers now (without taking the practice test), would suggest Kaplan Verbal Foundations and then MGMAT SC. This should be more than enough. If you wanted to get the hardcore Grammar book that international students use, I hear Doing Grammar is pretty good (I have not used it though).

Any questions welcome.

From my understanding, there are only 2 real GMAT prep tests on MBA dot com. Should you really use one as a diagnostic?
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Well, it turns out my understanding of my verbal weakness was 100% spot on.

With the Knewton deal at $540, I signed up for that today. I figure at the very least it would be a few more good CATs to play around with, and the 12 month window is great since i'm not in a big rush.

I just finished the Knewton practice CAT about an hour ago. Q42 V28 :shock: 580.

I got quite a few wrong on the Quant (across all areas), so i'm not srue about the Q42 as it seems high.

Pretty scary verbal score a practicing big law lawyer who did well on the LSAT, lol. I haven't done math in ages so that was different, and realized i couldn't solve a work rate problem now if my life depended on it :roll:

Here is a breakdown of how many incorrect answers I got on the Verbal subtypes:

RC -- 1 wrong
CR -- 2 wrong (1 of them I think is a BS question with 100% all sucky answers :roll: )
SC -- NINE wrong. HA. Can any native speakers top that? I got more incorrect than correct.

My takeaway though is a pretty positive one, as it seems that the SC mistakes I made should be relatively straightforward to correct with diligence.

Also, from going through the RC and CR questions and my answers, it seems that just doing as much practice on these types of questions should hopefully get me to a position where I make very few (or hopefully none) stupid mistakes. That is, I don't think I would benefit at all from hardcore studying (other than doing questions) on the RC and CR sections.

Time to re-learn grammar. Maybe the local elementary school teacher can give me some tutoring, lol

Tom :roll:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73273 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow - impressive for a native speaker :)
Actually, you have probably never really learned the English Grammar (or had no need to).
You can try a grammar book or possibly Kaplan Verbal Foundations (though it has a few typos/issues; nothing terrible, just typos - you know know it is a grammar book, not spelling :wink: )
GMAT Club Bot