Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 13:47 It is currently 03 May 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Technology Management
Schools:Columbia, Stern, Darden, UNC, McCombs, MIT
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Re: UNC, Chapel Hill vs UT, Austin [#permalink]
Thanks BigDre and Asimov.

@Asimov - I completely agree with you on the technology front. Both schools are located close to many tech companies and so cancel each other out on that front.

At this point I am just wondering if the difference in rankings between UNC (#17 or 18 per businessweek) and UT (#21) means anything. I am not too picky about where I settle down with a job. I am more concerned about the quality of the program itself and whether UNC has a significantly better program than UT.
Intern
Intern
Schools:UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Send PM
Hmm. Any opinions if one wants to go into banking?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Before any other consideration, I would think about where you want to live/work when you graduate. While you may be able to escape the respective regions these schools place the majority of their graduates, it will take more work on your part to do so, and even if you go in with that thought, statistically you are likely to remain in TX or wherever UNC places (Atlanta/Charlotte i imagine) post-grad.

If you are going to get hung up on rankings, the ones you are using are the last to consider. US News is the dominant ranking. They are the only ones that factor in prestige, and like it or not, that matters. In those rankings McCombs comes out slightly ahead of UNC (18 to 20). BusinessWeek has Stanford all the way at 6th, which should say it all, but if you want to get regional it has SMU 18th and while Cox is a fine school I don't think anyone would agree with that. WSJ hasn't done a full-time MBA ranking since 2007 so I'm not sure how accurate theirs are either. I quick glance at those looks absolutely ridiculous. No one can honestly say UNC or Tepper are better than Chicago, Wharton, and Stanford, except apparently on those rankings.

Both are great choices. I would make my pick based 100% on geography given the marginal ranking difference. Money could also factor in and as I'm sure you're aware, McCombs top scholarship is 10k per year + in-state waiver if you happen to live out of state (which I believe you do). You would have already heard if you were going to get one based on when you applied so that might already be done with.

As for banking, I can only speak for UT but I would think it would be the better bet. Every BB bank has a Houston office and they all recruit at McCombs. Don't know anything about tech.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the insightful comments Merkin. And thanks for shedding some light on the ranking system as well.

I will be attending Preview Weekend very soon in Austin. I think I will be able to make the call after that experience. I really appreciate everyone's input so far !!
GMAT Club Bot