Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 20:14 It is currently 22 May 2024, 20:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1150 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3611 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Four days to go! Any last-minute advice? [#permalink]
24 hours to go! I've spent the last two days working through chunks of the OG. Felt like I had hit my stride a few days ago, then yesterday only nailed about 75% of a question set that I regard as being of 600-650 level difficulty. Yikes.

Plan for the day is to work through 20-30 more quant questions of varying difficulty, followed by a few CR, SC and RC questions just for good measure. After that, it's chill time - I'll go to the movies tonight and (try to) get a good night of sleep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Take some time off and stay confident. I am sure you will do well and ace it :)
Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Best of luck- youve done all you can- go forth and conquer!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Too late for any last advice, but GOOD Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
best of luck dude. try to get some good rest.
Current Student
Send PM
Just back from the testing center. I considered providing a play-by-play rundown, but figured I'd just cut to the chase. I scored 690 (Q42, V42), which (in my view) is the most frustrating score possible. I was consistently hitting 720+ on GMAT Prep in the weeks before the exam, so believe that I didn't quite realize my potential today.

The obvious question: should I re-take? I'm targeting top-10 schools, so understand that a strong GMAT score is important. However, I believe that I have a solid application even with the 690 - a 3.9 GPA from a top-tier undergrad, a Masters degree from a top-5 international university, international work experience, etc.

Can't stomach the thought of having to study for another month just to wrangle another 10-20 points.

I know this is a difficult one to answer, but any insights are welcome.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
#1 - congrats on the 690. that's not a bad score by any means.

#2 - since your profile does look promising, i'd apply to the schools you want but be 100% certain your essays are convincing and persuasive. there are tons of stories on this site about people scoring 780s and 800s and not getting into schools they wanted to go to. the gmat is only a part of the whole picture adcoms looks at. i'd say you would have a good chance of getting in considering your essays and ability to "sell yourself" is good.

#3 - although many say gmatprep/mgmat cats are great at guaging your possible score on the real gmat, i beg to differ. these are mock exams and, at best, only serve to be good sample problems, IMO. the score you get on them may be close to what you get on the real deal but they always vary. i've been digging through this site for a while and have seen variations in scores from +/- 50 points which, when you think about it, isn't all that accurate.... it's certainly better than nothing however. :lol:

good luck with your apps and let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by TimeSquareDesi on 29 Mar 2010, 10:58.
Last edited by TimeSquareDesi on 29 Mar 2010, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 819 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:
Just back from the testing center. I considered providing a play-by-play rundown, but figured I'd just cut to the chase. I scored 690 (Q42, V42), which (in my view) is the most frustrating score possible. I was consistently hitting 720+ on GMAT Prep in the weeks before the exam, so believe that I didn't quite realize my potential today.

The obvious question: should I re-take? I'm targeting top-10 schools, so understand that a strong GMAT score is important. However, I believe that I have a solid application even with the 690 - a 3.9 GPA from a top-tier undergrad, a Masters degree from a top-5 international university, international work experience, etc.

Can't stomach the thought of having to study for another month just to wrangle another 10-20 points.

I know this is a difficult one to answer, but any insights are welcome.

Congrats for your 690. It is a very good score. You have already a solid profile for a good b school. Still if you think you can increase 10 - 20 points by study of another month , you could think of giving it one more try.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. This is a really tough call for me. I need to be on the East Coast (and ideally NYC) for personal reasons, which limits my options to a handful of highly competitive schools.

I believe that I've got pretty strong creds (as discussed in a previous post) and a compelling answer to the "why MBA / why now?" essay prompt, but I would hate to get dinged at CBS and Stern over a measley 20 points on the GMAT.

At the same time, I can't really imagine finding additional study time over the coming months. I've got a number of very significant personal and professional things coming up in the near future, and I've already neglected my responsibilities to take the GMAT the first time around.

As sick as this might sound, I would have almost preferred to get a 650 yesterday - at least I wouldn't have hesitated to re-take.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3611 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Just be optimistic about your score and prepare your sound application.
Do not forget to keep us updated.
GMAT Club Bot