Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Columbia Business School Class of 2012 [#permalink]
Speaking of Columbia Connect II, is there a dress code for Friday? I assume Thursday is casual.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
cbsclipper wrote:
Well, I certainly hope Californians aren't at the bottom of the housing list - I would assume NYers would be, given what the website and housing folks say... what was the reasoning for those who suggested that CA'ers get the shaft?

As far as I know, not many people in the Northeast get on-campus housing unless they have extenuating circumstances / are living abroad / etc.

The people I spoke with just mentioned that housing is very very limited, and there's only enough available to fulfill international demand in most years. It may be different this year, but I'm not counting on it.

Originally posted by eminent on 06 Apr 2010, 10:00.
Last edited by eminent on 06 Apr 2010, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Kiki723 wrote:
Speaking of Columbia Connect II, is there a dress code for Friday? I assume Thursday is casual.

Business casual as far as I'm aware.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
2 questions:

1) When/how are we given access to our Kroll verification? After Columbia receives our deposit, do they simply add "Kroll" to our To Do list in the day or two following?

2) Can anyone recommend a cheap place to stay for Columbia Connect II?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
BSbound wrote:
2 questions:

1) When/how are we given access to our Kroll verification? After Columbia receives our deposit, do they simply add "Kroll" to our To Do list in the day or two following?

Yes, Kroll stuff will appear on your To Do list with instructions. Not sure about where to stay.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
BSbound wrote:
2 questions:

1) Yeah, that should be how it works.

2) I'll be staying on my friend's couch, so hard to get cheaper than that :) But realistically, I think there's quite a few hostels within the city that offer budget lodging. They also have a hotel list in the CC section on the admitted website. You may also try calling the Columbia Club in Midtown and seeing what their rates are like. If all else fails, there's always Hotwire.com too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 690
Send PM
Most of my Columbia friends lived in Washington heights, Riverside and Morningside heights. Out of these 3, Morningside would be my first choice since it's very close to campus and it's a safe area with mostly CU students. Next would be Riverside (I think its more exp) and then Washington heights is the least exp but not as nice. But that's just my opionion, you might like it :)

My rule of thumb would be get something North of 70th and West of Central Park West.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
There seems to be a few unofficial program events that overlap each other.

Which one are you attending?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, apologies for inadvertently breaking the rules with my previous post. Hope this one is in full compliance. I still think that the service my friend Irina will be offering this coming fall could be of use to many of you, so please feel free to e-mail her directly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who Could benefit from having a confidante?

You are planning to move to New York for your MBA or you just moved - and you wish you knew the school and the city a little better... It all looks very exciting, but also very foreign...

Those who have a confidante describe their experiences:

“Making decisions and executing on them became more seamless and flowing, since taking action requires less effort – and waiting patiently is much easier to tolerate.”
"Getting to understand how the recruiting game is played helped me to end up with an offer!"...

How a confidante can help you?

Sometimes you feel overwhelmed by your new life and you think to yourself: " I wish I had someone to talk to who has been there before and can help me to make sense of all this"...

Your collaboration with your confidante is about you and it happens on your terms. We can meet on campus or at your confidante office. We discuss the topics which are the most important for you today - be it getting acclimated in a new environment, navigating the recruiting process, dealing with personal relationships in School...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Ugh.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Anyone attending the unofficial events for Thursday Night?

bigfernhead wrote:
There seems to be a few unofficial program events that overlap each other.

Which one are you attending?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Anyone attending the event tomorrow? I know eminent and I will be there.
Let us know we can meet up !
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Other than craigslist, what other sites are good for looking up apartments?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Columbia Admitted Students Event II- Recap

For a change, my wife and I made it to the event on time. The deli was overflowing with people and to me it occurred that more people had showed up this time. Well, not being in the middle of winter must have helped. Within a few minutes we were ushered into the hall to welcome our keynote speaker. Dean Hubbard gave a short speech on why we should all come to Columbia. Diana Taylor spoke at length about her career(she never did anything for more than 4 years). It was particularly interesting to hear about her comments on being a board member of Citigroup (the only one with regulatory experience). The most remarkable moment was when she asked the audience - how many of us wanted to go to Investment Banking? A mere four people raised their hands, it was pretty surreal.

From there, we moved to the Cluster welcome. I was part of Cluster 3 and our peer advisors made sure we had a great time. We played the quiz again and our team (Party of Five- yeah we couldn't come up with anything nicer heh) came close to winning it. If only we remembered CBS was founded in 1916, oh well!

Next up was the lunch reception. Unlike last time when we all went to different
restaurants nearby, this time around we all assembled at the magnificent Low library. The tables were divided based on different clubs, so we could decide where to sit based on our interests. I chose to sit with the people who do god's work ;) and had a great time listening to Ryuji (current student, IBC co-president) about recruiting for banking. According to Ryuji, IB recruiting is better now, and should be even better for us. He impressed upon us how quickly the banking recruiting starts, the events begin around
late September. He recommended buying a few good suits, there were times in the first semester when he wore a suit everyday. One thing I figured is the fact that being in NYC is a double-edged sword. One thing it gives access to recruiters like nowhere else but it also means we spend more time on networking than others. Another takeaway from him was- try not to get Low Pass in any subject (Honors, High Pass, Low Pass...) as banking recruiters ask about our grades. We also had a representative from Deutsche bank (Sean Gupta)
who remarked on how perfectly all of us timed our admits, he was very optimistic about the markets and was pretty confident about great recruiting seasons in the future (yay!). All in all, a good lunch and a great conversation with Ryuji. I left for the first class visit session in an upbeat mood.

Prof. Usher spent an hour discussing a very interesting case on Finance and Sustainability. As a stark reminder that we were signing up for further studies, a week ago Prof. Usher had sent everyone a 20 page case to read for this class. The topic and the case were interesting enough, so I didn't mind :-). But to be frank, with all that food in the stomach, I badly needed a coffee...After the coffee break, we got started with the E-cademy awards. Prof. Cliff Schorer did an outstanding job presenting the different ventures,
I think everyone was sold on how great CBS's Entrepreneurship program was. Here are a few interesting ones- 1) PayPerks, a debit card which is preloaded with the paycheck amount so an employee (without a bank account) needn't spend money on cashing the check. 2) PilotVault- a website for showcasing unaired pilot shows and audience testing 3) 99- a comic book based on virtues mentioned in Holy Quran, this one is already a big hit in middle-east and one interesting fact was that the entrepreneur's
class themselves invested a million $ or something in the venture! (my favorite) 4) Recyclebank- this one is making big bucks as well, it's like a rewards program for recycling and many others which were equally interesting and with great potential. All the presentations were great and I felt immensely proud about the network I'm going to join :-)

Prof. Bruce Greenwald didn't waste anytime getting into the core of the financial crisis. He said it was not a case of any single bad actor but an inevitable conclusion to the way international finance players carried out its business. With couple of interesting statistics backing him up, he also showed how Alan Greenspan's office was irrelevant in context of how Fed could/couldn't improve the economy. It was a very
informative lecture and I for one absolutely loved his wisecracks and many things he mentioned made more sense as I recently read a great book on the crisis- Too big to fail. In his view, the economy was going to be like this with less or no growth for many years with unemployment around 8-10% as it is now. He mentioned there will be enough jobs for MBA graduates but many others won't be so lucky :( He got a lot of cheers
when he mentioned USA needn't worry about China- as per him China is stuck with US$ and unless they move a large segment of their people out of manufacturing, they had no other way but to keep increasing the $ reserves. Many valuable insights, hope I would be able to sign up for his class(es)!

As an indication of how CBS and NY went hand in hand, the evening ended with a reception at Bloomingdale's with a brilliant speech by Michael Gould (CEO). Mr Gould, frankly mentioned how we were all destined to be successful no matter whether we went to Wharton or Chicago or Columbia.
He encouraged everyone to follow our passion and mentioned how NYC is the best place to be! His passion for NYC was amazing but then he supported Red Sox! Everyone had a good time munching on hors d'oeuvres, drinking some great wine and interacting with other admits at the end of
a very long day. When Mr.Gould asked how many of us had decided on joining CBS, I noticed a huge majority raised their hands.

CBS had done a good job with the event, showcasing some of its best professors, best students/alumni entrepreneurs and the best of what NYC offered. I left with my wife and a couple of others to a nearby restaurant- Serendipity where an outrageously yummy 'forbidden broadway sundae'
was waiting for us.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
actually 1 train is a local train so it stops very frequently. 2/3 are express train and they zoom through till 96th street from where you can transfer to 1 train.

eminent wrote:
I received no formal response saying I won't be given housing. However, from discussions w/ other prospectives and current students, they told me that the supply is very limited and Internationals end up taking the lions share of it. Californians are at the bottom of the priority list.

I don't know if it will be different this year, but I'm not counting on getting on-campus housing.

I heard 60s-80s are a wonderful neighborhood and the train ride is very short. From google maps, the 1 seems to be a pretty fast train... it seems like even if you live in the 40s or 50s, you're looking at a 10-15 minute train ride on the 1. Very doable on a daily basis.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Just wondering, how do you request access to the facebook page? It seems to be restricted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Sorry to bother, but I have a quick question-- for those of you who went through this, how many of your recommenders did they contact? All? or just your professional one?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7