Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 11:01 It is currently 05 May 2024, 11:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1008 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Re: After a natural disaster, special building inspectors are [#permalink]
vscid,

Can we have the OA and OE, if possible?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3226 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
it is between B and E.

finally (B).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 674 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Let's take a shot. I am with E on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Kudos
I gota a feeling .

Its B :o

OA Plz ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
KissGMAT wrote:
I gota a feeling .

Its B :o

OA Plz ?

Premise 1: After a natural disaster, special building inspectors are hired to check buildings with columns for stability;
Premise 2: those columns that are deemed intact and thus do not require reinforcement with iron core are often ordered to undergo extensive testing for strength and stability anyway, for the special building inspectors are concerned about the possibility of having misjudged the ability of such columns to withstand pressure without collapsing.
Premise 3: When the results of some of the extensive tests were reviewed, however, no columns that had initially been deemed intact after a disaster were shown to have failed the strength and stability tests that were ordered anyway.
Premise 4: Many buildings that are damaged in natural disasters do not rely on columns for support.
Conclusion: Thus, the extensive testing that the special building inspectors order for columns that they have already deemed intact after a disaster is a waste of money.

(A)Building inspectors who do not specialize in assessing the damage after a natural disaster are less likely than the special building inspectors hired to check buildings after such a disaster to judge the stability of a column correctly- not concerned about Building inspectors who do not specialize in assessing the damage. Also judging the stability of column not an issue
(B)Many buildings that are damaged in natural disasters do not rely on columns for support.--correct(premise 3)(C)The results of strength and stability tests ordered by many different special building inspectors for columns deemed intact after many different natural disasters were reviewed--we all kno tht it is reviewed. so wat ??
(D)The stability of columns deemed intact after reinforcement by iron core is always affirmed by strength and stability tests--specificaly mentiond abt those columns that are deemed intact and thus do not require reinforcement with iron core.
(E)Building inspectors routinely order extensive strength and stability testing for columns even when these columns have never been affected by a natural disaster--absurd, OOS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Very good explanation by tryingharder.Is OA B?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
What is OA and could some explain please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
firang wrote:
I'll go with E here, since everything else can be crossed out by POE.

Conclusion is "The extensive testing that the special building inspectors order for columns that they have already deemed intact after a disaster is a waste of money."

(A)Building inspectors who do not specialize in assessing the damage after a natural disaster are less likely than the special building inspectors hired to check buildings after such a disaster to judge the stability of a column correctly. ( no where in the argument is there a comparison between building inspectors and special building inspectors)
(B)Many buildings that are damaged in natural disasters do not rely on columns for support. ( Many but not all, some could still rely on columns)
(C)The results of strength and stability tests ordered by many different special building inspectors for columns deemed intact after many different natural disasters were reviewed. ( this one is clearly incorrect since there are not multiple building inspectors reviewing natural disasters and even if there are it doesn't strengthen the argument)
(D)The stability of columns deemed intact after reinforcement by iron core is always affirmed by strength and stability tests. ( the stability was intact before the iron core was used as well, so this doesn't get us anywhere)
(E)Building inspectors routinely order extensive strength and stability testing for columns even when these columns have never been affected by a natural disaster. ( the only one left and this says that the inspectors are wasting money since they are testing columns not even affected by disaster) - Correct

Explanation by firang looks good. What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
I took 3 minutes to answer this and came up with C. i must be wrong, but this is my reasoning:

Quote:
When the results of some of the extensive tests were reviewed, however, no columns that had initially been deemed intact after a disaster were shown to have failed the strength and stability tests that were ordered anyway.

only some of the tests were used a evidence. How can we generalize something based on a few tests. So, I thought this was the gap.

When I read C, I thought this covered this gap.

Quote:
(C)The results of strength and stability tests ordered by many different special building inspectors for columns deemed intact after many different natural disasters were reviewed.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts