Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Hey BB,
Again, a newbie here about to embark on that all too familiar mission of scoring 700+! I just ordered my MGMAT set and the OG 12. Do the MGMAT guides refer to questions from the separate OG Verbal and Quant guides?

Thanks a mil
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks Username. I sure wish the OG guides were available as a PDF file or on an E-reader such as the Kindle. I live a traveling lifestyle which forbids me from lugging those huge books around. Does anyone know if they are available electronically?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Royaldane wrote:
Hey BB,
Again, a newbie here about to embark on that all too familiar mission of scoring 700+! I just ordered my MGMAT set and the OG 12. Do the MGMAT guides refer to questions from the separate OG Verbal and Quant guides?

Thanks a mil

The MGMAT books refer to the OG 12 and also Quant OG and Verbal OG for even more additional target practice.
You can get either first or second edition of Quant OG/Verbal OG - both work
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Send PM
Hi,

I have started the journey today.

The first step was taking one GMATPrep Mock Test to get sense of my strength / weakness. I have scored 650 (Q -49 / V -30). I skipped the AWA section.

I am doing full-time job & have around 3 months of time to prepare & crack GMAT. My target is 750+.

The forum is really good & I would like to thank bb for all his efforts in setting up this nice forum.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mgforce wrote:
Hi,

I have started the journey today.

The first step was taking one GMATPrep Mock Test to get sense of my strength / weakness. I have scored 650 (Q -49 / V -30). I skipped the AWA section.

I am doing full-time job & have around 3 months of time to prepare & crack GMAT. My target is 750+.

The forum is really good & I would like to thank bb for all his efforts in setting up this nice forum.

650 is impressive!!!
I got 540 the first time around (after some studying too).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is a fantastic starting point. Thanks for simplifying GMAT Preparation; it would be rather hard to wrap ones' head around everything without GMATClub and guidance from the many individuals in this community.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
nice hierarchy BB.

You have stated that we should read during low productive time. What about understanding the content?

should we just keep on reading without understanding deeply what is stated?
I have this question just because I have recently finished one Indian Novel and was able to understand the story even if I wasn't aware of some word meanings. I just skipped and was able to comprehend the story.

But in reality RC will be different. We need to read deeply and understand the intend.

Do we gain this by just reading during our low productive time even if we are not able to concentrate 100%?

On an average how many months are required to become an active reader? this is weird question but still any idea?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gurpreetsingh wrote:
nice hierarchy BB.

You have stated that we should read during low productive time. What about understanding the content?

should we just keep on reading without understanding deeply what is stated?
I have this question just because I have recently finished one Indian Novel and was able to understand the story even if I wasn't aware of some word meanings. I just skipped and was able to comprehend the story.

But in reality RC will be different. We need to read deeply and understand the intend.

Do we gain this by just reading during our low productive time even if we are not able to concentrate 100%?

On an average how many months are required to become an active reader? this is weird question but still any idea?

I used this method and spent probably 2-3 months reading books.
You won't be able to get every word, esp if you are on a subway or bus or on a lunch break without a dictionary around. However, you will get the meaning and that's what counts (or maybe not and you will need to look up that word if that's important enough). Your GMAT experience will be pretty similar - you will encounter unfamiliar words and part of the game is how you deal with that. You wont' have a dictionary of course. I think 1-2K pages over 2 months is enough to immerse yourself into the language and train your ear.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Background:
I am 38 years old and I need to take the GMAT. I have been out of college for over 12 years and only took one Algebra and one Statistics class. I looked at the Math and some of it looked like a foreign language. I do not work in a business setting (firefighter) so I have not really utilized the stuff I learned in college. I have a BS in Counseling. I only need to score a 400 to apply for the job I am interested in.

If I could get a good solid game plan on how to achieve this from the infancy stage I would greatly appreaciate it. I can dedicate 2-3 months of solid time to preparing for the GMAT. I have Peterson's GMAT study guide and that is it!

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
ski99 wrote:
Background:
I am 38 years old and I need to take the GMAT. I have been out of college for over 12 years and only took one Algebra and one Statistics class. I looked at the Math and some of it looked like a foreign language. I do not work in a business setting (firefighter) so I have not really utilized the stuff I learned in college. I have a BS in Counseling. I only need to score a 400 to apply for the job I am interested in.

If I could get a good solid game plan on how to achieve this from the infancy stage I would greatly appreaciate it. I can dedicate 2-3 months of solid time to preparing for the GMAT. I have Peterson's GMAT study guide and that is it!

Thanks!

Sorry, I have been traveling heavily and missed your post.
Take a practice test and if you are still no there, get a Kaplan Premier book and you should be set.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi BB - Thanks for the information.. I have spent couple of hours going through various GMAT topics and have found it very helpful. Great Forum.

I had initially started studying for GMAT begining of this year and had scheduled GMAT for July. I will now be postponing it as I wasn't able to dedicate much time to studying and lost motivation (after taking the first Kaplan CAT exam - got a 550).

I'm in an accounting firm and have year long busy season (i work about 65+ hours a week). If I try to map your 3 month plan to my schedule, it would end up being a 6-7 months plan.. Do you think it would be too long of a time?

I have gone through GMAT Premier program and PR1012.
I plan to buy and study the OG 12 and MGMAT Verbal books.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

What specific books should I get? What specific game plan should I follow?

I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Experienced Gmat takers please advise.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:ISB
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

I have one query for recommended books and for study plan

W.r.t. recommended books, can anyone plz tell me if books mentioned under below mentioned columns should be followed in below sequence ?

1)Advanced Plan
2)Ultimate Plan
3)Beyond Hardcore Plan

And w.r.t study plan , it 3 months study plan and I just have 2 months. I have done OG 12 and had 70% accuracy in within time limit. Can you please further advise on this.

Quick reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
RenukaD
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Continue -

I have made a study guide, please advise. I have 2 months and I just want to make sure this plan will prepare me well for 730-750. 50hrs/wk. Please ignore all the EXAM #2s, they're just copy and pastes. Thanks.

Study Plan
1. Take Official GMAT Test online, review all questions 5/29 Sat
2. Review math 5/30 – 6/3
a. Books:
i. Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook for concept review and practice problems
ii. Kaplan GMAT Premier Live Online for concept review and practice problems
iii. Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review for practice problems
iv. Official Guide for the GMAT Review, 12th Edition for practice problems – mostly easy and medium questions
b. Tips:
i. Take notes, make flashcards on important materials
ii. Keep error log
iii. Time: 90seconds/questions
iv. Review all questions wrong thorough. Make notes to avoid in future.
v. Review all guessed answers.
3. Practice Math Questions 6/13 – 6/16
a. Continue to practice problems
b. Search for the hard 10% and practice

4. Review Verbal, continue to practice math problems 6/17 - 6/23
a. Books:
i. Manhattan GMAT’s Sentence Correction Guide for concept review
ii. PowerScore’s Critical Reasoning Bible for concept review
iii. Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook for concept review
iv. Official Guide for the GMAT Verbal Review for practice problems
v. Official Guide for the GMAT Review, 12th Edition for practice problems
5. Practice Verbal Questions, continue to practice math 6/23 – 7/1
a. Should be devoting more and more time as material accumulates
6. Build stamina through taking official exams and target weak points JULY
i. Practice Questions, review, and read test tips 7/2 FRI

1. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/3
• Work on weak math 7/3
• Work on weak verbal 7/4
2. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/5
• Work on weak math 7/6
• Work on weak verbal 7/7
3. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/8
• Work on weak math 7/9
• Work on weak verbal 7/10
4. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/18
• Work on weak math 7/18
• Work on weak verbal 7/19
5. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/20
• Work on weak math 7/21
• Work on weak verbal 7/22
6. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/23
• Work on weak math 7/24
• Work on weak verbal 7/25
7. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/26
• Work on weak math 7/27
• Work on weak verbal 7/28
8. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/29
• Work on weak math 7/30
• Work on weak verbal 7/31
9. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 8/1
• Work on weak math 7/1
• Work on weak verbal 7/2
10. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 8/3
• Work on weak math 8/4
• Work on weak verbal 8/5

Tentative test date 8/7
TARGET SCORE: 750
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, what is your score right now?
have you taken a diagnostic?

knabi wrote:
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Well, what is your score right now?
have you taken a diagnostic?

knabi wrote:
Dear GMAT Club,

So, my plea for help:

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.

No I have not yet. I was going to on Sat, but I got insecure and decided to review more before I take it. I know the gmat tests from the official website are the most legitimate, so I didn't want to waste them. Should I just take a diagnostic from Kaplan's book?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all, first off, thank you BB for posting such useful information. While researching various study materials on Amazon I came across your various reviews and found each one extremely helpful. The six steps and three month study plan you present in the initial post to this thread are exactly what I was looking for, but I would like to run my situation by you and receive any advice you can offer.

I am currently working full time, approximately 30hrs a week. I am also taking a class during Summer Session 1 at the university where I received my undergraduate degree and will be taking another in Summer Session 2.

I am planning on applying to grad school before the November 15th deadline for my school of choice and plan to take the GMAT around the 1st of September.

Based on one of your reviews, here are the materials I considered purchasing:
1. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides
2. OG 12th Ed.
3. OG Verbal 2nd Ed.
4. OG Quant 2nd Ed.

I have no prior experience with the GMAT but my goal is score in the 650-700 range. I am diligent in my study habits and have focused my summer to the two classes and studying for this test. As recommended on this site, I plan on taking a practice exam as soon as possible to determine where I stand at this point.

Here a few questions I have:
1. Do I have enough time before the test to properly utilize all of these materials in preparation?
2. If not, what combination would you recommend for someone in my position?
3. Are there any other materials not listed you would advise me to use (I saw another review where you recommended the Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet)

I have been speaking with numerous people about study materials ranging from books to the Kaplan prep class and feel I have found the best information on this site. I would really appreciate any advice, not only from BB but from anyone else who can provide helpful insight.

Thanks so much

J
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42