Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [8]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Re: Non-Drinker at Business School [#permalink]
Kudos
i was at a conference recently with students from b-schools all over the country. while there was a decent amount of drinking and mingling at night, there were a few (very few though) students who seemed completely anti social. while i could care less if a person drinks or not, it is a completely different story if they just sit at a dinner table and completely shut down and not talk to anyone. that to me seems to be counterproductive to building contacts and job leads.

if you don't drink, make sure that a) you are not offended by drinkers and b) you at least attend events with your peers so that you're not labeled the anti social one
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
There is a kid like that in my summer internship from another top 10 program known for its "finance" curriculum and etc.

Whenever in a meeting, he always interrupts with random questions when the presenter is in the middle of explaining his or her presentation.

He is smart but very arrogant and always think his ideas are more beneficial. He goes to lunch by himself when all other interns are socializing and going out together. Other interns get involved in outside work activities but so far he has refused to participate.

This kind of anti social behavior is frowned upon and I really don't see how this kid is going to receive an offer no matter how smart he is or prestigious his program is.

Referring to the drinking thing, not everyone drinks. Just go out to bars and other activities with fellow bschool students but you can choose to drink soda or water. No one cares. They just want to hang out with you and get to know you better.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
This is a common concern, especially for those who are allergic, and you'll do just fine.

The almighty kryzak had the same concern when he was starting school at Haas. Now he's a successful alum.
drinking-and-b-school-49327.html

Here's another one from this year: schmoozing-and-drinking-86451.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for the replies, advice, and links everyone. I am hopeful that this will not be a major problem. I enjoy being social and will not be the guy who shuns social activities. I am also not someone who will get offended by those who are drinking around me. I agree with those who posted that as long as I make an effort to be a part of the social outings, I should be ok even if I am not drinking alcohol.

Cheers…
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
There are enough people in b-school that don't drink either, or are light drinkers.

Most b-schools are diverse enough that there's usually something for everyone. If you want to get completely wasted, there's compadres that will join you. If you want to just chill and have clean fun, there's plenty of folks that will do that. And there's also a lot of students that will do a mix of both.

Put it this way. Getting absolutely sh*tfaced can be a lot of fun, but it's not like you're missing a whole lot if you don't do it (because if you do, it's not like you or your compadres will remember anything anyways haha). And even though it can be a lot of fun to drink a lot, it usually leads to doing and saying things you'll regret anyhow (speaking from personal experience).

In most social occasions, you always have the option *not* to drink, and in just about every sort of b-school event (whether it's organized or just an informal get together of friends) there's going to be a mix of heavy drinkers, light drinkers, and non-drinkers. Alcohol is really a personal choice. The light drinkers aren't going to think anything about you not drinking, and those who are sh*tfaced won't be in a state to know whether you are or not.

I remember even amongst my b-school friends -- there was a good mix of everyone, from those who did drink a lot to those who didn't drink at all. I highly doubt that those who didn't drink had any more difficulties fitting in than those who did drink. You all go to the same kinds of events, do the same kinds of things (go to dinner, clubs, parties, etc.) so whether you drink or not is really a personal choice.

As for recruiting events, you are best to AVOID drinking at all or drinking just a drink or two at best. Otherwise you risk saying and doing things you'll regret. Some (or in some cases all) of the recruiters themselves will get sloshed (hey, if you were sent on a recruiting trip and the alcohol was paid by the firm, you probably would too!), but that doesn't mean you should. So as a non-drinker this shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

In all, don't worry about being a non-drinker in b-school -- and no one is going to judge you for it as long as you're not overtly judging others for being drinkers.

Agreed with everything you said. It is more important that you're comfortable in your own skin! I have a friend in college who never drank alcohol. He was one of the most popular guys in his fraternity!
GMAT Club Bot