Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [5]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619538 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3226 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly, amassing littl [#permalink]
phew....it took so much time to decide on one option

I think it is C....what is the OA?

The military coup fails bloodlessly, amassing little support and collpasing within hours of its first public claim to power, but it gets.....and .......makes inroads to government.

The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly, amassing little support, collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but, having usually gotten the full attention of a country's leaders, eventually, once an initial retaliation period ends, the ideology behind the coup makes subtle inroads in the nation's government.

(C) support and collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but it usually gets the full attention of a country's leaders, and

(D) support and collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but with the usual full attention of a country's leaders, and - not parallel

(E) support, collapses within hours of its first making a public claim to power, but with the usual full attention of a country's leaders, and
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly, amassing littl [#permalink]
nice question ! I chose C too; however I was a bit hesitant because this sentence has two main clauses and one subordinate clause.

How many main and subordinate clauses can you join in one sentence (provided that you are using proper punctuation and conjunctions)?.

Actually I just made a new post for this question: how-many-main-and-subordinate-clauses-can-you-join-95465.html
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ykaiim wrote:
The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly, amassing little support, collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but, having usually gotten the full attention of a country's leaders, eventually, once an initial retaliation period ends, the ideology behind the coup makes subtle inroads in the nation's government.

(A) support, collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but, having usually gotten the full attention of a country's leaders,

(B) support, collapses within hours of its first public claim to power, but with the usual full attention of a country's leaders gotten,

(C) support and collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but it usually gets the full attention of a country's leaders, and

(D) support and collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power, but with the usual full attention of a country's leaders, and

(E) support, collapses within hours of its first making a public claim to power, but with the usual full attention of a country's leaders, and

Though I marked the correct OA, I want to confirm my reasoning. So, please comment.

Let's look at clause structure here:
The original contains 2 independent clauses (each could be its own sentence):
1)The coup fails
2)once an initial retaliation period ends [dependent clause], the ideology makes subtle inroads [independent clause]

But there is no word joining the two independent clauses; there is only a comma!! On the GMAT SC you cannot join 2 independent clauses with just a comma:

Ex. Incorrect: I am hungry, I will eat.
Correct: I am hungry; I will eat. OR... I am hungry, and I will eat.
So A and B are out.

Notice that in D and E, "but with the usual full attention of a country's leaders" is a prepositional phrase-- a modifier-- that is not attached to anything it can logically describe.

Finally, C give the correct intended contrast: The coup fails... but it gets attention...

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
izaidi wrote:
nice question ! I chose C too; however I was a bit hesitant because this sentence has two main clauses and one subordinate clause.

How many main and subordinate clauses can you join in one sentence (provided that you are using proper punctuation and conjunctions)?.

Actually I just made a new post for this question: how-many-main-and-subordinate-clauses-can-you-join-95465.html

SaraiGMAXonline could you answer this, Is there any limit to the number of clauses in a sentence?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
izaidi wrote:
izaidi wrote:

SaraiGMAXonline could you answer this, Is there any limit to the number of clauses in a sentence?

Hi izaidi,

Technically no-- but you wouldn't string too many clauses together with "and".

Ex. Correct: I eat steak, and my brother eats fish, but our parents are vegetarians. (3 independent clauses)

Incorrect: I eat steak, and my brother eats fish, and my parents are vegetarians.

Let me know if this is still confusing.

Best,
Sarai

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
I think you are mixing independent clauses with main clause. You can connect independent clauses with conjunctions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:
I think you are mixing independent clauses with main clause. You can connect independent clauses with conjunctions.

Hi ykaiim,

As from what I know, a main clause and an independent clause are synonymous terms!

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
izaidi wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Hi ykaiim,

As from what I know, a main clause and an independent clause are synonymous terms!

Thanks

Hi Guys,

These are important terms to clarify, so it's good that you're having this discussion!

A clause is simply a subject and verb, but there are 4 kinds:

1) Independent
2) Dependent
3) Main
4) Relative (a.k.a. Subordinate)

Ex. I eat when I am hungry.
Independent: I eat (This clause can be a sentence on its own.)
Dependent: when I am hungry (Because of the "when", this clause cannot be a sentence on its own.)

Ex. Frogs that live in trees eat flies.
Main: Frogs eat flies (The main clause is the clause on the outside.)
Relative: that (referring to frogs) live in trees (This clause starts with a relative pronoun and is the clause on the inside.)

So while a main clause (outside) is always independent, an independent clause is not necessarily a main clause. When we talk about main clauses we are referring to outside (versus inside) clauses.

Let me know if this is at all confusing...

Best,
Sarai
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the help Sarai. But MGMAT SC Guide says that main/independent are the same. and subordinate/dependent are the same.

But otherwise i'm good. I was really looking for clarifications on how many you can string together, and you helped me with that. Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
izaidi wrote:
Thanks for the help Sarai. But MGMAT SC Guide says that main/independent are the same. and subordinate/dependent are the same.

But otherwise i'm good. I was really looking for clarifications on how many you can string together, and you helped me with that. Thanks

Hi izaidi,

I'm glad the post helped. Regarding the terminology, while I haven't seen MGMAT's wording, it is important for students to diffentiate between relative clauses and dependent clauses because they have such different functions. Since relative clauses begin with relative pronouns, they refer to a specific word in the sentence, making the position of this clause in the sentence matter. Where they are placed in the sentence in many cases determines whether a sentence is correct. Relative clauses are also important to parallelism, as two relative clauses must start with the same relative pronoun to be parallel. Dependent clauses, on the other hand, are not relative to any word; they simply come before or after an independent clause.

Anyways, this really doesn't affect you in any way, so you can ignore this digression ;)

Best of luck! :)

Best,
Sarai
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Entering pretty late on this one, but one thing to clarify, for anyone who references this in future.

The first part of the sentence, an Independent clause, is:

The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly , amassing little support, collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power.

Remember that Independent clauses can stand on their own, in the sense that they are complete sentences in themselves. But, is the following a complete sentence?

The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly, amassing little support, collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power.

Draw parallels with the following sentence:

The teacher arrived early in the classroom, surprising students, alerting the monitor.

Clearly the above is not a complete sentence. The correct construction would have been:

The teacher arrived early in the classroom, surprising students and alerting the monitor.

Similarly, in the question under consideration, the correct first Independent clause would be:

The typical military coup fails relatively bloodlessly, amassing little support AND collapsing within hours of its first public claim to power.

Since and is missing in the original sentence, it is wrong. B has the same issue.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts