Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:North Carolina, Emory, Vanderbilt
Send PM
Re: I'm so sick of the GMAT... [#permalink]
GLookup wrote:
I'm sorry but I F'ing hate the GMAT. I studied damn near all last year and got 530. 90th percentile on verbal, but 14th percentile on math.

I just don't get it. I study, I review, I'm consistent, yet, I suck. I've done a class, I have a solid tutor, I read the forums and strategy guides....no dice. CFA, no problem. Working as a corp. fin. analyst, no problem. Programming, no problem. Soft/social skills, no problem. All the above negated by a goddamn standardized exam.

Today, however, I've just stopped caring. F it. I'm taking the GMAT exam (which has been the bane of my existence for more than a year) of at the end of September no matter where I'm scoring at that point.

I feel like such a hater too because I'm so jealous of all the people who seemingly just Waltz into 650+ scores and complain about only getting a 710.

I'm developing a serious inferiority complex from this entire experience. It's embarrassing when everyone knows you're working your ass off, but you just can't get the job done. My confidence in myself is shot.....it's ruining my relationships with people because I'm constantly pissed off at myself.

I don't want any pep talks....so please don't bother responding. I'm simply too embarrassed to get this off my chest to anybody I know personally, thus, I'm using the anonymity of this forum as a place to vent.

While I'm sure it's frustrating for you to go through this, it actually *is* nice to hear from people who don't find the GMAT to be a breeze. I'm new around here and am planning to take the GMAT this fall for the first time. Everywhere I look on the forum, it seems like people are ripping off 730 scores, which is really intimidating. I'm also like you; strong in verbal and terrified of the quant.

I won't give a pep talk, but I will say thanks for sharing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
GLookup wrote:
I'm sorry but I F'ing hate the GMAT. I studied damn near all last year and got 530. 90th percentile on verbal, but 14th percentile on math.

I just don't get it. I study, I review, I'm consistent, yet, I suck. I've done a class, I have a solid tutor, I read the forums and strategy guides....no dice. CFA, no problem. Working as a corp. fin. analyst, no problem. Programming, no problem. Soft/social skills, no problem. All the above negated by a goddamn standardized exam.

Today, however, I've just stopped caring. F it. I'm taking the GMAT exam (which has been the bane of my existence for more than a year) of at the end of September no matter where I'm scoring at that point.

I feel like such a hater too because I'm so jealous of all the people who seemingly just Waltz into 650+ scores and complain about only getting a 710.

I'm developing a serious inferiority complex from this entire experience. It's embarrassing when everyone knows you're working your ass off, but you just can't get the job done. My confidence in myself is shot.....it's ruining my relationships with people because I'm constantly pissed off at myself.

I don't want any pep talks....so please don't bother responding. I'm simply too embarrassed to get this off my chest to anybody I know personally, thus, I'm using the anonymity of this forum as a place to vent.

welcome to the club buddy..u r not alone...i love verbal (except RC) but I hate quant..my brain was never programmed to do quant... but more than that I hate the fact that the first step towards getting a reputed mba is a standardised exam...it sucks..but then i know a guy who scored a 760 and didnt get even a single interview call..and there was another girl who scored a 540..but is at Oxford right now..so i guess all kinds of s**t happens....dont worry...just take time off and then decide what you wanna do...while it may become a personal battle, one exam is not the end of the world...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
You guys aren't the only ones, I think the people that tend to do well are the ones that are posting. Many out there are probably struggling as well.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
You guys aren't the only ones, I think the people that tend to do well are the ones that are posting. Many out there are probably struggling as well.

haha yeah. seems like all the people that are posting something these days are ones that got something to post/brag about. that's ok, hopefully we'll all get there one day as well :-D

my one recommendation is that i highly suggest against studying the CFA and the GMAT at the same time. it's like v-tec, you keep trying to push harder but nothing ever really happens. ok bad analogy. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I totally understand what you're going through...I have always been a straight A student and had a very successfull career. I have been studying for the GMAT for five months...and I keep getting the same score on practice tests that don't even top 500...makes no sense to me when I'm studying 6 hours a day and losing my life over this dumb test. Anyways...I'm not going to give up...but I have gone from being so positive to so negative..sucks.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
vibarora wrote:
welcome to the club buddy..u r not alone...i love verbal (except RC) but I hate quant..my brain was never programmed to do quant... but more than that I hate the fact that the first step towards getting a reputed mba is a standardised exam...it sucks..but then i know a guy who scored a 760 and didnt get even a single interview call..and there was another girl who scored a 540..but is at Oxford right now..so i guess all kinds of s**t happens....dont worry...just take time off and then decide what you wanna do...while it may become a personal battle, one exam is not the end of the world...

Haha, I think the schools for a lot more than the scores, to be honest. The score is just one part of your application to see where you stand against your fellow applicants, and as a common platform, because otherwise how in anyone's name will they be able to compare an applicant from a university in China or India with a 40% passing score to someone from the US with a 70% passing score? :)

As to the OP, sorry to hear that, but what Dawgie said is right. People who tend to do well tend to post more. But that doesn't mean everyone gets it easily. Hope you get the score you want, and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
vibarora wrote:

Haha, I think the schools for a lot more than the scores, to be honest. The score is just one part of your application to see where you stand against your fellow applicants, and as a common platform, because otherwise how in anyone's name will they be able to compare an applicant from a university in China or India with a 40% passing score to someone from the US with a 70% passing score? :)

As to the OP, sorry to hear that, but what Dawgie said is right. People who tend to do well tend to post more. But that doesn't mean everyone gets it easily. Hope you get the score you want, and good luck!

totally agreed...but it still sucks... :-D :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Thanks for sharing! I'm new on this forum and totally hear ya...

I may do a similar vent post pretty soon. :D

Good luck with your apps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I can definitely sympathize with your situation. It would be nice to see some concise information as to how to turn around a weak score. Most of the strategy debriefs I read consist of: I painstakingly studied the OG for 2 months, CAT 1 680, CAT 2 720, final score 770, lol. I am at the early stage of my study period, so I too have hope I will be able to achieve great results on the test. That being said, it would be nice to talk with some more people who made the long journey form a low score to a high one instead of the ones that make it seem so easy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2830 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
To all the guys and gals who just cant beat that 700 a simple word of advice, just change your strategy radically this will improve your scores radically if not change it again

for EG: i was in the 500ds too even though i know all the math formulae etc after analyzing i realized i was not paying attention to "what the Q is asking "

this simple change in focus put me in 650's

then it was matter of figuring out concepts and doing hard problems and being consistent to reach the holy grail of 700+ area

i feel

500 to 650 improvement is easy

650 to 700+ is concept should be crystal clear + no careless mistakes

hope that encourages y'all
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM