Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 960 [18]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The idea behind the Personal Long Letter campaign is that a single imp [#permalink]
Some how A seems to be correct.

I guess the counting is applied to 'dozen' (which is half in this case and hence singular).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Re: The idea behind the Personal Long Letter campaign is that a single imp [#permalink]
Chembeti wrote:
Some how A seems to be correct.

I guess the counting is applied to 'dozen' (which is half in this case and hence singular).

I have posted an artilce regarding collective nouns and their corresponding verb form. Please check
collective-nouns-singular-or-plural-128340.html

Now, I am clear why the OA is A. Here the key word is 'banded together' which means the author is talking about some group but not individual items and hence the verb should be 'causes' but not 'cause'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1488 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Tommy,

A half dozen flowers was sent to the girl
half dozen flowers were sent to the girl

Doesent the a in statement 1 necessiate a singular?

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Lots of ideas on this one, but no one's taken it apart yet. That's what I'm here for!

The idea behind the Personal Long Letter campaign is that a single impassioned constituent may sway a lawmaker’s opinion, whereas a half-dozen banded together only causes him alarm.

This is clearly a verb tense and subject-verb agreement question. We notice the former in the split between "causes" and "has been caused". We notice the latter int he split between "causes" and "cause" (or "has" and "have"). For subject-verb agreement, we check the subject and make sure it matches. "Half-dozen (constituents)" is plural, so we need "cause" or "have". As for verb tense, you always check it against some context verb in the sentence. In this case, we have "is", a present tense verb. Then we ask ourselves, is there any good reason to change tense? In this case, there is not.

 a half-dozen banded together only causes him alarm
Problem: "Causes" doesn't match the subject "half dozen (constituents)"

 only alarm is caused by a half-dozen banded together
PROBLEM: This is actually a concision issue. No reason to switch to the passive voice here. While this is a rule, it's VERY rare on the real test, and comes up way more when people are trying to build questions. DO NOT cross something off just because it's passive. We're only doing it here because there's a perfectly great answer WITHOUT the passive voice elsewhere.

 only alarm has been caused by a half-dozen banded together
PROBLEM: No reason to switch to the present perfect tense ("has been caused").

 a half-dozen banded together only cause him alarm
ANSWER: Correct tense, correct subject-verb agreement.

 a half-dozen have caused him only alarm when banded together
PROBLEM: No reason to switch to the present perfect tense ("have caused").

Hope that helps!

-t
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM