Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Completely bruised..Pls suggest [#permalink]
Is ity possible to get verbal score improved...I understand its difficult..
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72924 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there - sorry to hear about your experience. Fantastic Q score though.
Keep an eye on this thread: study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

I plan on finishing it pretty soon.

You may also want to share a bit more info if you want to get more specific advice.
Such as how long you studied for, what materials used, what are your strengths/weaknesses (in verbal obviously).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Ok..the quant was easy..i would say 4-5 questions tough..but all new and easy..bit trickly in DS like they will keep you involved in A) chocie of DS so long that..when you look B)chocie you would say both are needed to solve in fact only B would be answer as you might have never looked B as standalone solution.

Verbal was not tough but new types of question..none of question i could relate to OG..I have extensively studiedd for verbal..but now I reallize..I could never find a diff in tough and easy question..mean I was riding on luck in my practice CATS..all my mgmat cats i was ok with 700-800 level question and made mistake in 500-600 or 600-700 quaetion..may be i never undersatood why somehting is right or wrong and was listening to ears to much.
Cr wad ok..RC was very very tough..

Dont know where to start.??..as of now stopped for ever
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
probably start with the MGMAT SC again. Reread it and redo problems and try to capitalize on what you've learned and need to improve on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey, I just took my GMAT today and I got 50Q and 24V, very similar to your score. I understand your frustration. The math part was pretty easy for me as well, but I was lost on the verbal part, in partucular the RC.

However, I have to say that I spent 2/3 of my preparation on math and 1/3 on verbal. That's probably why I had such a low scored on the verbal. I am not sure. I just didn't think that the RC could be improved because to me is a matter of how hard is the passage presented.

Also, I used Kaplan and now I know that the Kaplan CATs overstate your score, as I was getting in the high 600s, low 700s.

Please advice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
BRUISED !! Took today, Q50, V20.

Studied MGMAT, OG 11, OG 12, Gayatri notes, Did around 100+ SC, 6 test from 1000 CR, around 8-9 RCs from 1000 RC, etc.
Never got more than 60% questions right....around 22/41

Made my own notes for SC, RC and CR. But seems, they aren't consitent and seggregated and i need to collate them to re-read them easily from one place. Also, this time during practice, i was mostly picking the wrong choice after 3/2 split. went to see answers, understood, but only saved the solution in my buffer memory. Lost !. Error log seems to be better way to tackle these.

CR - I get lost most of the times. studied MGMAT technique for Assumption based and strengthening based ques, but wasnt fairly getting answers right in their practice questions (around 6 or 7 rt)

RC, i relied on my notes taking capability and did only OG 12 thoroughly once [only once :(] but was satisfied during practice sessions, took around 20 to 25 mins per RC with 8 ques to make sure my understaning of RC and question type isn't lacking. It costed me on real test. Had to slog for last 6-7 ques in 7 mins and infact, 1 complete RC.

Now !, the fight begins again. Going through posts for Verbal strategies once again and gathering gist of the story i need to understand, implement and observe my strengths and weakness.

Please advise how to improve verbal score.

[/color]

Originally posted by ermks279 on 12 Aug 2010, 04:39.
Last edited by ermks279 on 12 Aug 2010, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [1]
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all...

add me as well....

Gave GMAT on 14th may with 610 (Q44 and V28)
Gave GMAT again on 10th August and scored 620 (Q51 :-D V22 :oops: :cry: )...

In mocks i was scoring pretty well.....Scored V37 and V39 in 2 gmatpreps taken during last week). But the questions in real gmat were altogether different. My SC was the strongest area (even better than quant) but trust me I could not make out head/tail of SCs on the real test. SCs were so long.......Consequently it lead to anxiety/nervousness and impacted the RC and CR as well......Hah the vicious circle of GMAT.....

But i will not give up......this time its the turn of Verbal......I will kill it for sure....next time....and that will come soon.....

THE BATTLE CONTINUES !!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72924 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow - great quant score. I think you are pretty solid there (though don't relax please)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 632 [0]
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
bb wrote:
Wow - great quant score. I think you are pretty solid there (though don't relax please)

Thanks BB!!! Thats all because of GMATCLUB tests that i did after my 1st attempt of Gmat wherein I scored a poor Q44.... Some questions in GMAT were really similar to GMATCLUB types.....

Thanks to GMATCLUB !!!

By the way... is it OK to give gmat 3 times??? What can be the impact on ADCOMS...?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
This is scaring me a lot. Is verbal really tough on the real test...can you compare the real test difficulty to something that I can try and see where I stand now.
I wish you all good luck in retaking the exam. my exam is on 9/27.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
lalithajob wrote:
This is scaring me a lot. Is verbal really tough on the real test...can you compare the real test difficulty to something that I can try and see where I stand now.

Just take a GMATprep test. That should tell you pretty clearly where you are in the scoring spectrum on Quant and Verbal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
lalithajob wrote:

Not trying to scare you but I took gmat today (and bombed). Verbal is tough. Specially SC. In practice I could solve most SCs in less than 1.5-2mins but today I almost spent 3 mins on SC questions. CR was easy (similar to OG) and RC was just about ok.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Thank you mustdoit, vince and vibroara for your comments.
I already took the GMATPrep and I got Q48 and V33 (660). But it did not manage to complete my verbal. I am gonna take one more test this weekend.

Can someone tell me which is the most tough verbal practice exam? MGMAT? Knewton?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
lalithajob wrote:
Thank you mustdoit, vince and vibroara for your comments.
I already took the GMATPrep and I got Q48 and V33 (660). But it did not manage to complete my verbal. I am gonna take one more test this weekend.

Can someone tell me which is the most tough verbal practice exam? MGMAT? Knewton?

MGMAT CR questions are not very good, though I would say their SC and RC questions are just like those in the GMAT prep.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
I'm almost in the same boat

Q48, V17 on GMAT. :( and working on Verbal section madly :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Any one else find Kaplan Verbal Questions not representative of the actual GMAT questions?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts