Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3049 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink]
This is a lot of stuff. For me, it wasn't about quality versus quantity, but finding the right balance. Both are necessary for a successful performance.

I'm also not a GMAT course enthusiast. It might be a decent option for those who are very rusty and need help to build a basic foundation. Some also rely on courses for adhering to a study schedule. But GMAT classes, for the most part, will not take its students to a 700-plus score. To perform well, one needs the right study materials and a strong work ethic. Another essential ingredient is time - not too much or too little, but the right amount of time. Six months is the absolute maximum. Any more than that is too risky due to GMAT fatigue. It may very well set in before this point. Be careful.

roshnipat wrote:
I have Powerscore CR for GMAT - would I need LSAT LR bible?

I recommend the Powerscore LR Bible only to those who are both very weak in CR and aim for a very high score. In most cases, though, the Powerscore CR Bible is perfect. Since you already have the CR Bible, stick with that. You'll be fine.

roshnipat wrote:
Is LSAT RC a must- if I have some actual tests?

If we're talking about an LSAT RC guide, then probably not. I usually don't even recommend a GMAT RC guide. For questions, however, LSAT sources are pretty good. I recommend them. The passages are longer and more complex than GMAT ones. The questions themselves are also more challenging. But make sure to use GMAT RC too!

roshnipat wrote:
Do I need to get more LSAT material?

At most, get the LSAT SuperPrep. It has three tests along with the explanations, which helps. But no more than that for LSAT questions.

roshnipat wrote:
Am I focusing on too much easy material? - I tend to need more practice than others to get confidence.

As Hussain15 stated, there's probably too much going on here. Too much of a good thing is still too much.

roshnipat wrote:
Anything else I should be focusing on or any other material/plan

For math questions, I feel that the combination of the OG books, the GMATClub Tests, and Jeff Sackmann's math sets is perfect. For verbal questions, use the OG and actively participate in the verbal forums for CR and SC. Incorporate some LSAT RC questions too.

In terms of studying, I found that re-reading the MGMAT books helped out quite a bit. You don't have to redo the questions in the book, though. Just review the math books and the SC guide.

You seem very enthusiastic about LSAT materials. Check out this link. It should contain all the information that you need.

roshnipat wrote:
I believe I should be able to finish this in about 6 months- Is this too much time?

It's probably too much time. Again, GMAT fatigue is very dangerous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Agree with above on fatigue. I also think that if you bounce too much, you might get too many competing frameworks/approaches in your head. Sometimes a few key ideas from 1 source, possibly 2 might be cleaner and easier to execute come test day. If you are crammed to the gills with things that you have seen, you might not be able to sift through fast enough.

Best of luck!

Aveek Guha, President, https://mbadaycamp.com/school_prospects.php
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Thank you all for your responses. I was concerned that I was trying to cover too much!!

Thank you Hussain15 and bmillan01 for your detailed feedback and advice. I will work on streamlining this plan to cover the most commonly used resources in a more realistic time frame. I am working professional with other commitments as well - so 3-4 months might be a bit ambitious.

Thank you bmillan01 for the link to the LSAT material - its what I was looking for - I am still new to the forum(have been lurking for a about 10 days) and need to find my way around it.

I look forward to being an active participant to the forum. This seems to be a great place to be!!

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot