Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 14:14 It is currently 08 May 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Can't get over 43 in Quant! concentrate on Verbal instead? [#permalink]
Quote:
Dont worry !!! with consistent 43 in MGMAT you should easily score around 47-48 in real test. I was also in the range of 45-46 but ended up scoring 51. Dont worry !!! cheer up and enjoy !!! Keep smiling because thats what the Gmat Hates !!!

Really? Can anyone else confirm this as their experience as well? I actually thought MGMAT is slightly easier than the real thing.

Thanks mustdoit! I hope you are right man.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Kudos
Romaster wrote:
Quote:
Dont worry !!! with consistent 43 in MGMAT you should easily score around 47-48 in real test. I was also in the range of 45-46 but ended up scoring 51. Dont worry !!! cheer up and enjoy !!! Keep smiling because thats what the Gmat Hates !!!

Really? Can anyone else confirm this as their experience as well? I actually thought MGMAT is slightly easier than the real thing.

Thanks mustdoit! I hope you are right man.

There are 100s of places where you can surely confimr that MGMAT level is way beyond that of actual gmat. But yes one thing to note is that they are an excellent practice source. Mark my words.....prepare and practice GMAT club tests and MGMAT tests for quant thorougly and you are in for Q49+.........
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks man! You have given me probably the biggest injection of motivation for quite some time!

Just completed a third MGMAT quant section and got 43 yet again. 3 in a row now! I seem to somehow always finish poorly ie run out of time and see my score dip from 80 percentile back towards the low 70s. I'm not sure what I can do to address that???

I will refrain from taking anymore tests for now and focus on verbal. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Mustdoit,
Thanks for this info! I was so down just like Romaster...Been scoring 44-45 consistently in MGMAT.
Checked my mistakes and figured out that in most of the problems where i was going wrong involved tedious calculations or the problem was a bit tough for my standards.
This really peps me up!
Will keep posted of how things turn on when i take the GMAT Prep tests!

Experts could you please give us your opinions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
This is good to hear. I have an engineering background yet I'm always short on time on the MGMAT Quant sections. I was really starting to get worried. Hopefully I can take my 46 to a 51, in the real exam too. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Have you taken any full lenght GMATprep yet ? It should most accurately reflect your Quant score. MGMAT Quant is supposed to be more convoluted and a bit more difficult compared to GMAT prep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
mustdoit wrote:

Did you practice more for quant after the mgmat tests?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i would take that statement of 43 into 47-48 with a grain of salt... it differs person by person so dont be too giddy just because it worked for someone else. error log is key here (no one else here mentioned...)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
There are numerous posts about MGMAT Quant being more difficult than that of the real GMAT, so I would say that there is some validity to what mustdoit said. I can't say from personal experience, as I'm still working through the MGAT Series. My quant isn't that good, but I can already see an improvement from where I started to where I am at now. Good luck when you take your test!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
i would take that statement of 43 into 47-48 with a grain of salt... it differs person by person so dont be too giddy just because it worked for someone else. error log is key here (no one else here mentioned...)

I agree. The score estimator on this site shows a +/- 40 between MGMAT and the real test. If you are not good at counting/probability, it would be wise to learn it now while you have time :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Just my 0,01 from personal experience.

You should take one official gmatprep exam to have a clear view of where you stand. Mgmat tests are different form the real thing. I was scoring 45-46 in mgmat and was very happy with it because everyone says mgmat is more difficult, after that I just managed to score 40 on the gmatprep.... I just find the real thing very different from mgmat and cannot figure out what am i doing wrong, i guess the real thing is trickier...... So it can be different for every person...... take the gmatprep and take it from there....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
I would take all this with a grain of salt. It's different for everyone. It would be best to take the MGMAT and then take a GMATprep CAT to potentially compare these claims. For me, I cannot say that the MGMAT quant is any different from that of the real one. However, what I can say is that the MGMAT verbal seems easier than the real one.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
the general consensus seems to be that the MGMAT is more difficult than the actual GMAT in terms of math. does this apply to everyone? no, very few things in the world apply to each and every person.

the main problem with the MGMAT is that its questions take, on average, longer to complete than the typical GMAT math question. as a result, you're left with a short amount of time at the end to answer your remaining questions. i dont think i scored higher than a 44 on my mgmat math, but i managed to do ok on the real test. your best bet is to take a full length gmat preptest and see how you do there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I studied with mgmat for a while...was only getting 43's on 4 practice exams too. Then I took gmat prep practice test and got a 48. I know this is only one example, but I found the gmat prep to be a lot easier. I'm taking the second practice exam tomorrow and will let you know if turns out to be the same. You should try taking one of the official practice tests to see if you find the same thing.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Try gmatclub test for quant!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Overall I found the GMATPrep quant to be less challenging than MGMAT. The MGMAT questions seemed to take longer and it was harder to finish in 75 mins. I am focusing on the problems from the OG12 and gmatclub math tests from now until my official test on Oct. 5th since they seem to be more like what I'll see on test day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

I've dug up some old threads on this very topic and the consensus seems to be that MGMAT is harder. At the very least it takes longer to complete and is more convoluted. This is exactly the problem I have - TIMING. Particularly towards the end as I'm anxious to finish the test.

I took GMATPrep 1 and only got 40 but that was nearly 6 - 8 weeks ago before the intense prep. I will take GMATPrep 2 closer to exam date. Perhaps another fairly accurate indication is my score from OG12. I managed 88% accuracy in PS (230 Q's) and the majority of my mistakes were silly errors as opposed to not knowing the way to the answer. Usually DS is my relative weakness in quant so it will be interesting to see how I go with that. Overall, I feel much better about where I am and will continue to aim for 48+ on the real thing.

On a different note, I wasn't particularly impressed with MGMAT verbal. Their CR questions threw me off and are sometimes structurally different to OG. I can't really tell if they are easier or harder as Verbal is pretty intuitive to me but definitely take your MGMAT verbal scores with a grain of salt.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts