Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: My experience with doctoral rankings (especially accounting) [#permalink]
thank you for creating this thread, I'm currently looking for PhD programs to apply so this helps a lot.

Currently I'm finishing up the master program in accounting with a GPA of 3.86 (4.0 accounting GPA). My undergrad GPA is 3.94 (4.0 accounting GPA). My GMAT score is 690. I'm planning on taking the GMAT again since I didn't prepare much for the exam the last time (only 2 weeks). I don't have any work experience yet since I went straight from undergrad to grad school. It's hard for me to get a job after finishing grad school because of the economy (I'm also an international student).

I really like doing research work, especially on the financial reporting aspect as well as the effect of accounting on the financial markets. According to what I read from the previous posts, I realized that a good accounting phd program for me would have to have well-known professors in the research areas that I'm interested in. Can you suggest any professors or schools?

I want to get into the top ten school because I believe that I can accomplish more in a challenging environment. What kind of GMAT score should I get in order to be competitive among other applicants, taking into consideration my situation? Is there anything else I can do to make myself more competitive?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
sphere3617 wrote:
I really like doing research work, especially on the financial reporting aspect as well as the effect of accounting on the financial markets. According to what I read from the previous posts, I realized that a good accounting phd program for me would have to have well-known professors in the research areas that I'm interested in. Can you suggest any professors or schools?

I want to get into the top ten school because I believe that I can accomplish more in a challenging environment. What kind of GMAT score should I get in order to be competitive among other applicants, taking into consideration my situation? Is there anything else I can do to make myself more competitive?

I won't suggest a specific list. "Top ten" is really pretty good, but it all depends on what you want to do. The subjects you highlighted are very common, mostly because they are very broad. I'd suggest you take rankings such as B-week MBA rankings (or mine), take at the top 30 (or so) schools, and look at research interests of the faculty there: what they've published, what their working papers are, etc. You'll find out most of them work on financial reporting and its effects on the stock market to some extent, but their work can be about financial analysts, accruals quality, information risk, liquidity risk, balance sheet/income statement classification, compensation, and so on. You'll find what you like most in there. A big part of both what you learn and what kind of job market candidate you will look like will ultimately hinge on your dissertation chair, not the school (as opposed to an MBA or Master's in accounting like you did).

GMAT score is always kinda tricky; from what I understand some schools have a set threshold, under which they'll disregard your application altogether, and over which it doesn't really matter unless it's 790. For "top 10" 690 is not enough, and for someone with an accounting background as opposed to math or engineering (e.g. tougher quant), 750 may be enough to warrant further examination, but not enough to ultimately get an offer.

Other things you may want to do to improve your profile are things I've mentioned many many times in this thread and others -- take grad level courses in econometrics, microeconomics, game theory, calculus/linear algebra (undergrad level may be alright for those, just not "calc I"). Basically your profile is good and there's a way to make your SOP sound sincere but people will be concerned about your ability to become a good math geek, which you need a lot of at the PhD level.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
A new paper has come out ranking accounting progams based on the research productivity of their graduates. It can be found here: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1574502. Sort of interesting results huh?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Interesting indeed, thanks for the link.

Two comments on that new paper, otherwise a good read:

1) The term "productivity" in the title is misleading. Rankings are based on the number of articles published in selected journals by PhD alumni in the first few years after graduation. Big schools who churn out more graduates (Michigan, UT-Austin) will mechanically show up higher than smaller programs (Columbia, UBC). To me "productivity" is related to how many resources are used to get that outcome, and the paper doesn't adjust for that. They do report the number of grads who published at least 1 article for each subfield, but not the total number of graduates, so you can't really completely adjust.

2) Overall ranking is useless; to use it if you want to do an accounting PhD but don't know in what field would be a huge mistake. Even though they publish rankings for all topical areas (audit, tax, financial, etc) and methodologies (analytical, empirical/archival, experimental), the authors' main interest was really in some particular subfields (namely audit, tax and AIS). To get a larger sample size, they added to the usual top (e.g. "A" rated) journals (TAR, JAR, JAE, AOS) to include journals that publish more heavily in those areas, even though these journals are usually considered as "B" journals. Nothing wrong with that when it comes to subfield/topic rankings. However what this does is that the overall ranking is useless -- it includes some of the "A" journals (but not all -- many top financial accounting and/or analytical/theory faculty publish in papers like JofF, JFE, even JPE, Econometrica, Management Science..) and some "B" journals (but none in the most populated subfield -- financial accounting).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the overall ranking favors schools whose programs are targeted to specific subfields that are overrepresented in the study (Arizona, UNC, Arizona State, Kent State), and penalizes programs with underrepresented subfields (financial accounting and analytical research), whose "A" outlets include non-accounting journals and whose "B" outlets were not included.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Some other interesting links on accounting rankings from the same people who published that earlier paper.

https://byuaccounting.net/rankings
https://ssrn.com/abstract=1604545
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Cabro, I am from India and want to get into a good phd program in finance. Request your feedback and suggestions on schools.

I hold a Masters degree in Mathematics from IIT (one of the top schools in India) with a CPI of 9.3/10, I was a topper in my batch. I gave GRE in 2008 an got a score of 1430 (800 on quant and 630 on verbal). I have 4 years of work exp in Analytics. I applied for fall 2009 but couldn't get an offer. I had applied to top US B Schools - Wharton, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Duke, Cornell, Rochester etc. I attributed my faliure partly to recession and not being from Finance background. To improve my application I took FRM and got certified in April 2010, I have also co-authored a research paper in Finance, which is under review for publication. I plan to apply for Fall 2011 but quite confused with Universities. I want to get into a good University (good at research) but dont want to fail again. Please suggest a few schools where I have a good chance of getting selected with my profile.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
phdfinance wrote:
Hi Cabro, I am from India and want to get into a good phd program in finance. Request your feedback and suggestions on schools.

I hold a Masters degree in Mathematics from IIT (one of the top schools in India) with a CPI of 9.3/10, I was a topper in my batch. I gave GRE in 2008 an got a score of 1430 (800 on quant and 630 on verbal). I have 4 years of work exp in Analytics. I applied for fall 2009 but couldn't get an offer. I had applied to top US B Schools - Wharton, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Duke, Cornell, Rochester etc. I attributed my faliure partly to recession and not being from Finance background. To improve my application I took FRM and got certified in April 2010, I have also co-authored a research paper in Finance, which is under review for publication. I plan to apply for Fall 2011 but quite confused with Universities. I want to get into a good University (good at research) but dont want to fail again. Please suggest a few schools where I have a good chance of getting selected with my profile.

For finance, I really can't say. I think a good way to approach this is to figure out whether getting admitted at a top school is more important, or whether doing a PhD it more important. You may see it differently, but I wouldn't want to waste another year to get into a better school, i.e. you want to make sure you have at least 2 safety options, schools you know aren't top schools but that you wouldn't mind going to. If you work hard and can write good papers, you'll get a good job.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Cabro,

Thanks for all the helpful information. I am considering applying to a PHD Program for fall 2012. I'm a CPA with 6 years of tax experience in public accounting. I have a BA in Accounting (3.72 GPA) and a Masters in Tax (3.8 GPA). I want to be extra prepared for the coursework during the first couple of years of the program. Do you have any suggestions on courses to take that will be useful such as econ, stats and etc?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Phariper wrote:
Hi Cabro,

Thanks for all the helpful information. I am considering applying to a PHD Program for fall 2012. I'm a CPA with 6 years of tax experience in public accounting. I have a BA in Accounting (3.72 GPA) and a Masters in Tax (3.8 GPA). I want to be extra prepared for the coursework during the first couple of years of the program. Do you have any suggestions on courses to take that will be useful such as econ, stats and etc?

Given that tax research is likely to be empirical, econometrics may be a good choice. If you want to go toward mechanism design instead, do a good grad-level game theory course.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Interesting thread

Some one say whare I can find a good template or example to write a research proposal ???

Thanks if you could provide this one :)
Board of Directors
Send PM
I was the last month in W-DC and I visited Smith School at UMD and GWU BS. Both schools (I talked with different professors) say more or less the same: ok toefl (for international) ok GMAT but what is important - really - is a STRONG research proposal, a good idea that fill up a gap in lieterature.

This is my experience ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
carcass wrote:
I was the last month in W-DC and I visited Smith School at UMD and GWU BS. Both schools (I talked with different professors) say more or less the same: ok toefl (for international) ok GMAT but what is important - really - is a STRONG research proposal, a good idea that fill up a gap in lieterature.

This is my experience ;)

So you're saying professors told you that in order to be admitted in a PhD program in Accounting, you need a strong research proposal? That's definitely not my experience when it comes to North American schools -- from what I saw they always look for 'potential' first (mathematically qualified, strong background, graduate coursework), then motivation (SOP, perhaps past research but not mandatory). They do not usually expect you to come up with a good idea before sitting in a few PhD classes -- it will be 4-6 years before you finish so that idea might be outdated by the time your research is ready to be published.
Board of Directors
Send PM
I agree

But what I said is that: ALL components are really important and what you propose.

I mean: if you speak english perfectly, strong skills such as GMAT but if don't demostrate through your idea that something is not clear for the science, i.e. we know enough about Clusters ?? why clusters rise and most important thing, in which way we can foster their development ??? thanks to policies or by informal contacts beetwen actors ??'

If you don't do this, why a university should fund you for several years ??? what could you do in terms of knowledge for university ??? what is your research interest(s) ??'
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello there

I am interested in PhD Finance. I am not sure what to say because the rankings often mislead or at best representative of the past and may not hold true in the future. I am a canadian and have been teaching in lower tier universities for almost 9 years now. I am now interested in a PhD from a good Canadian or US School. I have a 3.5 GPA in MBA ( FINANCE) but no GMAT score. I fear I will bomb the GMAT Exam and so look forward to a good school which can accommodate me without a GMAT Score.

Is it true that the FT rankings are no match to the US rankings. Is McGill at a lower level as compared to Western Ontario or even York University? If so which university would help me move forward in my career?

Would love an honest reply

best

Albert E Stevens
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts