Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: My experience with doctoral rankings (especially accounting) [#permalink]
What a great post!!
Thank you so much.

I am the one who is dreaming to be an accounting professor.
But my great barrier is GMAT. I am not a test taker.

Can I ask some questions about how to pursue the PhD program?
Do I need a lot of work experience to apply for the program?
My plan is that I am going to do my master's and then doctoral program.
However, I only have one year work experience.
I quited my job in 2007 and came to the US to study English.(I'm international student)
It means there is a hole in my cv from 2008 till now . And my GMAT is not getting better yet.
What is the best thing to do for now?

Thank you so much in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I think the list provided by cabro is quite to the point and includes the most important universities in accounting. The only thing, which I find strange, is the absence of Texas A&M from the list. To be honest my knowledge about this university is very limited however this university is listed as no.1 for phd in the public accounting report (2007 survey).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I could be wrong, but my guess is that you are mixing TAM with UT Austin.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
air1980 wrote:
I would like to add a little from my experience in case it might be of some use to future applicants. I was admitted to one of the top 10 programs on the above list, but declined their offer and took a spot at the top Canadian university. After receiving offers from a few very good US universities, I thought my decision would be easy. However, what I learned after visiting some campuses and speaking with various faculty is that at some schools great placements were driven in large part by specific faculty.

The above list mentions Michigan as a top school (which I don't disagree with) however, they have lost Sloan, Dechow (these two are now at UCB), Dichev is leaving for Emory I believe, and some others have left which would bring into questions if Michigan is still a top 5 school for accounting.

Another example is Rochester, which had one of the very best reputations for producing PhD students in the past. But they lost a KEY member, Ross Watts, who was involved with many of the previous successful students' dissertations. They have also lost several other top ranked faculty in addition to Watts. So would they now be considered a top 10 school for accounting?

Great points -- to me it only emphasizes much more the need to take rankings as some kind of "first pass" and then look at who you would like to/could work with. The Rochester example especially resonated with me -- it was one of the schools I applied to (and was admitted at) but I learned that Ross Watts was leaving from himself, during the campus visit, when he was still at Rochester. I ended up going someplace else.

This is actually a good segue into the converse of your comment -- schools may not be on the list or may be ranked quite low but may still be the best places to go to because of the people who are there now. MIT's current reputation is right up there with, or very close to, Stanford and Wharton despite my ranking (and others) because of people like Kothari and Watts. UC-Berkeley was slipping and might have come off the charts but the arrival of Sloan and Dechow have greatly restored its status.

jamtam2000 wrote:
I think the list provided by cabro is quite to the point and includes the most important universities in accounting. The only thing, which I find strange, is the absence of Texas A&M from the list. To be honest my knowledge about this university is very limited however this university is listed as no.1 for phd in the public accounting report (2007 survey).

As another poster said, you may indeed have mixed up Texas A&M and UT-Austin. However, the broader point I made in my original post was that one needs to be careful about specific surveys such as Public Accounting Report as it seems to have a bias toward teaching and accounting standards or standard setting. Now, having a bias is fine but that report shouldn't be your 'master list' if you're primarily looking at research or want to keep the most possible options open. The 2008 report has UIUC at #6, Georgia #11, USC #12, Mississippi #15, Oklahoma State #16, Texas A&M #18, Missouri-Columbia #19, South Carolina #22, Florida State #23 and South Florida #25, none of which made my list of the top 20 PhD programs since 1990, except for UIUC which I put at #20. Whether my ranking is better or worse than that is beside the point -- the point is to know how the lists you are using have been constructed and what they intend to measure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Cabro......thanks for starting this post and is really quite informative.

I aspire to do Phd in Accounting and was looking for some sources of information. I have my undergraduate degree in Physics and Mathematics and then have done graduation in Finance. I worked for 8 years in corporate finance and the last 1.5 years in the field of accounting. It's then that I thought that I would really be interested in research with a formal program and hence looking to apply to universities.

I was told by people that one must contact professors before applying but my experience has been that the response from them is not much, which is strange. I have my interests in various areas and so am flexible to do my research with professors having different interests. The question I had was that, do I need a solid topic to pitch even before I apply? Do you need to have a backup plan as far as the area and further a research topic in that area is concerned? How do i approach the professors before applying? How do I figure out how is the process of match between a research candidate and a professor?

I have written 2 research papers (one in science and another in accounting) which have been presented in conferences but havent had the time to look for publishing the same. So, would this help in my application?

I have yet to give my GMAT score but am pretty jittery about it.
I would be nice to have some guidance and advice so that I can make a systematic approach to the applicaiton process.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
gmatprep09 wrote:
Cabro......thanks for starting this post and is really quite informative.

I aspire to do Phd in Accounting and was looking for some sources of information. I have my undergraduate degree in Physics and Mathematics and then have done graduation in Finance. I worked for 8 years in corporate finance and the last 1.5 years in the field of accounting. It's then that I thought that I would really be interested in research with a formal program and hence looking to apply to universities.

I was told by people that one must contact professors before applying but my experience has been that the response from them is not much, which is strange. I have my interests in various areas and so am flexible to do my research with professors having different interests. The question I had was that, do I need a solid topic to pitch even before I apply? Do you need to have a backup plan as far as the area and further a research topic in that area is concerned? How do i approach the professors before applying? How do I figure out how is the process of match between a research candidate and a professor?

I have written 2 research papers (one in science and another in accounting) which have been presented in conferences but havent had the time to look for publishing the same. So, would this help in my application?

I have yet to give my GMAT score but am pretty jittery about it.
I would be nice to have some guidance and advice so that I can make a systematic approach to the applicaiton process.

Thanks.

This may be more appropriate in a separate thread. At any rate --

1) Contacting professors -- I did send an email to 1-2 professors at each school I was planning to apply to (sometime between November and January). My response rate was about 50%, including one-liners. I think the low response rate is due to the fact that those professors have a lot to do and actually receive quite a few frivolous proposals in addition to more reasonable ones (even I once had a student from Ghana come to me with an offer that his government may be able to finance my future research if I helped him get accepted in the same PhD program). All those who answered my queries were at universities where I either (a) subsequently got an offer, or (b) ended up not applying. I can't say how/whether contacting those professors helped, but you definitely would be able to get info such as "don't bother applying here if you want to work for me, I'm leaving". So I don't think that can hurt.

2) As for "fit" (or match) between a candidate and a professor, you can't tell for sure. The best way is probably to go through the professors' recent research interests and decide what you think is interesting. Unless you know people at that particular school, you probably won't know whether a particular professor is fun to work with.

3) As to how specific your topic needs to be, you don't want to be too specific. The most reasonable pitch could be something like "I'd like to study the effect of earnings management on the stock market", while making clear that the specific topic and hypotheses are undetermined. If you have your topic already, what good is a dissertation advisor? On the other hand, you don't want to say something like "I don't care whether I study corporate finance or accounting" because that's too broad and may suggest you have no clue at all.

4) Having written and presented papers is pretty good. Having made no efforts to publish them does not matter, and may actually be good because if it's a good subject, faculty members may be able to help you improve the paper and end up (a) getting it published in a much better journal, (b) have their name on it, (c) get that publication while you're a PhD student at their school, which is very good for them. So to have those papers ready is the real plus on your application.

5) GMAT/application process -- do the best you can on the GMAT, which implies extremely serious preparation. You need to know what the question types are and know how to answer them efficiently. I had a good score when I wrote it 5 years ago (760) and attribute most of it to efficient preparation, not actual skill/ability. As to the application process, you need to decide whether you want to go to a top school where completing the program is even more difficult than getting in, or go to a place like Rutgers, which will be easier to get into, not as tough to complete without being useless (e.g. you'll still get enough to be able to publish some good research), but which will ruin any possibility of getting a job at Chicago or Wharton. As for more specifics, you might want to browse this forum, as some topics have been discussed time and time again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks Cabro for replying to my post.........appreciate the information. Would you mind me asking where are you currently doing your Phd from?
thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
gmatprep09 wrote:
Thanks Cabro for replying to my post.........appreciate the information. Would you mind me asking where are you currently doing your Phd from?
thanks

I'm at a top 20-25 (overall, better in accounting) research university in the Northeast. I'm not sure I can get much more specific in a public forum (unless I have been in the past, haha).
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Can the people provide some background on the PhD app process. I applied to top 25 programs (per the Accounting Report) in 2008 and no dice (2.5 years exp, 610 gmat and 3.5 accounting + econ)

Now I'm at 4.5 years exp (will be at 5.5 by the time fall 2010 comes around) and scored a 710 on the GMAT (apps for 2010 school year).

The schools I'm planning on applying to (as of now):
UT Austin
U Michigan
U Chicago
Wharton
U Washington
MSU
HBS

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
mohater wrote:
Can the people provide some background on the PhD app process. I applied to top 25 programs (per the Accounting Report) in 2008 and no dice (2.5 years exp, 610 gmat and 3.5 accounting + econ)

Now I'm at 4.5 years exp (will be at 5.5 by the time fall 2010 comes around) and scored a 710 on the GMAT (apps for 2010 school year).

The schools I'm planning on applying to (as of now):
UT Austin
U Michigan
U Chicago
Wharton
U Washington
MSU
HBS

Thanks,

Your 710 GMAT score will put you on the radar at many more respectable schools than 610. Work experience doesn't really matter (in terms of # of years anyway); if you worked in auditing it may give you something that most PhD applicants do not have, as most of them come straight out of college/grad school.

Where's your undergrad degree from? Do you have a MAcc or some other grad school diploma? That's probably more relevant than the 3.5 GPA per se.

It's very tough to get an offer from all schools on your list, except perhaps MSU. You pretty much need to be an all-star or close to it to get into Chicago, Wharton or HBS, and while 710 is fine, it's not going to give you something that the others don't. Of course it depends on where you're prepared to go, but you can probably to better than MSU if you get OK recommendations and can write a good SOP.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
cabro57 wrote:
Your 710 GMAT score will put you on the radar at many more respectable schools than 610. Work experience doesn't really matter (in terms of # of years anyway); if you worked in auditing it may give you something that most PhD applicants do not have, as most of them come straight out of college/grad school.

Where's your undergrad degree from? Do you have a MAcc or some other grad school diploma? That's probably more relevant than the 3.5 GPA per se.

It's very tough to get an offer from all schools on your list, except perhaps MSU. You pretty much need to be an all-star or close to it to get into Chicago, Wharton or HBS, and while 710 is fine, it's not going to give you something that the others don't. Of course it depends on where you're prepared to go, but you can probably to better than MSU if you get OK recommendations and can write a good SOP.

Thanks for the response.

I don't have a Masters, only a BA in Accounting and a BA in Economics. Both of my undergrad degrees are from Michigan State. By the time interviews roll around, I'll have ~two years of internal auditing at a manufacturing company.

I'm fairly certain my letters of rec will be rock solid, as two of them will come from people at Michigan State (both in the accounting dept. I was very active as an undergrad with the dept, and have been very active in campus recruiting since graduating), and the third will come from a former team leader at work (she can write about my contributions to the department, process improvement, etc.).

The schools I'm most interested in acceptance are: Michigan, Washington, and Austin. MSU is sort of the school I like/safety school. Chicago/HBS/Wharton are the dream team schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
mohater wrote:
cabro57 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I don't have a Masters, only a BA in Accounting and a BA in Economics. Both of my undergrad degrees are from Michigan State. By the time interviews roll around, I'll have ~two years of internal auditing at a manufacturing company.

I'm fairly certain my letters of rec will be rock solid, as two of them will come from people at Michigan State (both in the accounting dept. I was very active as an undergrad with the dept, and have been very active in campus recruiting since graduating), and the third will come from a former team leader at work (she can write about my contributions to the department, process improvement, etc.).

The schools I'm most interested in acceptance are: Michigan, Washington, and Austin. MSU is sort of the school I like/safety school. Chicago/HBS/Wharton are the dream team schools.

With that profile and at those schools, I think you should get some consideration, but I'm not sure if that's enough because you have not done any graduate work yet. I think it'd help if you could sign up for a few graduate Econ courses (Micro, Econometrics, Game Theory), at MSU for example (I'm assuming you still live in that area). As I said, the 710 GMAT is OK but there will be plenty of other candidates in that range.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Send PM
cabro57 wrote:

With that profile and at those schools, I think you should get some consideration, but I'm not sure if that's enough because you have not done any graduate work yet. I think it'd help if you could sign up for a few graduate Econ courses (Micro, Econometrics, Game Theory), at MSU for example (I'm assuming you still live in that area). As I said, the 710 GMAT is OK but there will be plenty of other candidates in that range.

The problem is the closest University with said graduate classes is either 30 or 90 miles away...

I always opted for the more difficult Econ classes when it came to the optional classes (undergrad level) (Advanced Micro (calc based), (Poli Sci) Game Theory, Econometrics, Economics of Labor, Economics of Transport, etc.). So I have an intro into some of the more advanced/theory based topics.

I guess I'm going to have to give it a go for the grad apps. If nothing pans out, then I will probably sign up for some grad classes.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Edit: Cabro: Given my background, can you suggest some "safety schools" for me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
mohater wrote:
cabro57 wrote:

The problem is the closest University with said graduate classes is either 30 or 90 miles away...

I always opted for the more difficult Econ classes when it came to the optional classes (undergrad level) (Advanced Micro (calc based), (Poli Sci) Game Theory, Econometrics, Economics of Labor, Economics of Transport, etc.). So I have an intro into some of the more advanced/theory based topics.

I guess I'm going to have to give it a go for the grad apps. If nothing pans out, then I will probably sign up for some grad classes.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Edit: Cabro: Given my background, can you suggest some "safety schools" for me?

"Safety" is kind of a loaded word but I guess you'd stand a chance at places like UIUC (Illinois), Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa.. all these places (and many more) have at least a few reputable professors. The smartest way of looking for a good school where you want to have a good chance of getting an offer is to look at accounting departments' websites and check the faculty members' resumes, and see where their research is getting published. The best ones have had a few recent (less than 3-5 years) articles published in Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, The Accounting Review, Journal of Finance and Journal of Financial Economics.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was wondering if you had updated your rankings recently (ie, looking at placements over the last 5-10 yrs, instead of since 1990). For example, it seems UNC should be a lot higher on your list. If you look at their recent placements, they might be more like a top 5-10 school. I may be biased, but it seems to me, based on recent placements (Chicago, Michigan, Wharton, Tuck, Duke..) that students should seriously consider UNC if they are looking to be placed at a top research university. Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
greeneyeshades wrote:
I was wondering if you had updated your rankings recently (ie, looking at placements over the last 5-10 yrs, instead of since 1990). For example, it seems UNC should be a lot higher on your list. If you look at their recent placements, they might be more like a top 5-10 school. I may be biased, but it seems to me, based on recent placements (Chicago, Michigan, Wharton, Tuck, Duke..) that students should seriously consider UNC if they are looking to be placed at a top research university. Any thoughts?

I haven't updated my rankings, and doubt I'll ever find the time to do so; however we can expect some schools went up and others down.

As far as UNC, you may well be right; I was surprised at how low it was in the first place. On the other hand, just looking at the past 5-10 years can help identify trends but also largely limits the sample size -- in my initial rankings, only 5 schools had 10 or more people who both (i) graduated 1990 or later from that school and (ii) were still teaching in the 35 top schools. Going back to the past 5 years instead would be almost meaningless with those numbers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi! I found your topic and was amazed how you divided Phd programs into two groups "teaching oriented" and "research oriented", and actually third "teaching-research".
I am browsing almost every day through PhD's websites. But is really hard to find which program or which school more "teaching" than "research". All of them trying to show to prospective students "OUR PhD is for that who willing to do RESEARCH"!!!)))) Even if it is not true.
You mentioned Georgia as a top school for teaching-not research. Could you please, give more schools like this one. Or just explain how I can search for them. May be some "hidden" criteria :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4379 posts