Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 15:32 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 15:32
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1252 [4]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2401 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: D-Day Strategy [#permalink]
Kudos
Hemanth,

Kudos for you.. very gud points..

i agree with you on points like Verbal SC and GUESS DO GUESS DO DO GUESS DO GUESS ...

i took a test b4 few days.. i worked on one SC q for 3.43 mins.. but it was wrong.. it happened the same in another SC also. i also felt the same point as you have pointed out...
Also, i did a mistake of guessing 8 q's together .. which pulled my score down drastically..

Gud luck for your test!!!! am sure u r going to get a gr88 score....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
hemanthp wrote:
then move on to the issue essay (I finish this faster but say 25 minutes) and once you have written this down and proofread it, DO NOT SUBMIT. Instead take 2 scratch pads one each for QUANT and VERBAL and write down your basic stuff

Very clever trick! However you are provided with only one pad at a time.

Also I think that the essays come in a random order, so do the Quant and Verbal sections. So you can't really prepare the scratch pad except for writing down the time table.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3620 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
hemanthp wrote:
then move on to the issue essay (I finish this faster but say 25 minutes) and once you have written this down and proofread it, DO NOT SUBMIT. Instead take 2 scratch pads one each for QUANT and VERBAL and write down your basic stuff

Very clever trick! However you are provided with only one pad at a time.

Also I think that the essays come in a random order, so do the Quant and Verbal sections. So you can't really prepare the scratch pad except for writing down the time table.

what do you mean by random order of quant and verbal section?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1252 [0]
Send PM
akshey2021 wrote:
I was under the impression that you get only 1 scratch pad (at a time). They give you a second on request but take back the first at the same time.

I got 2 at the Chennai Pearson center. Even if they don't we still have 2 sides on a sheet. And the scratch pads weren't taken back. I can confirm this if but there is no good reason for them to take the pads back. Right?
Quote:

Same question, what is this random order? Its the ARGUMENT, ISSUE, QUANT and VERBAL. This is fixed.
Quote:
Planning to plan to plan to take gmat. I think writing everything on the scrath pad is like not relying on the brain that I believe so much. Ofcourse I will scribble on the scratch pad when the calculations are hefty -

I agree that this is not a sure shot pill to success but its just something which will help keep things in check. The timing strategy more than the formulas or numbers or some things to remember is what is going to help. You cannot write down everything and totally rely on it. At times I felt that doing this mini calculations like 1/8 or 1/7 or 8^3 gave me some mental warm up before the Quant section. I did less silly mistakes or calculation errors. But you are right, BRAIN is your main weapon and this is just a tiny weeny support to it.

One thing I realize when I think back is how rushed I felt during both Quant and Verbal. I was in some DAZED state. I cannot remember 1 question from Verbal. How the hell can that be? I was so nervous that I couldn't even properly count the time per question that I should spend.

Yesterday I took a GMATPrep test. Got 710. 50Q 35V. I got 12 questions in verbal wrong. I thought getting 12 wrong is on the lower side for me but I got only 35. When I look at the pattern, I got 4 wrong on a trot and I feel thats what took my score down because in the earlier test too, I got 12 wrong in verbal but got a score of 38. Is there anything special I should do to avoid getting a string of questions incorrect? I guess not :) but just hope my brain is active enough to read the RCs and CRs and find out mistakes in SC and stays calm through out.

Thank you for the wishes.
-Hemanth
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3477 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck Hemanth! Hope you succeed this time (And your GMAT Prep score seems to indicate you're on your way to success as well) :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3620 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck Hemant.

If you want to avoid serial mistakes, then do crack all the rc's. You can miss cr/sc anytime if you like, but you can not take any chances with RC. RC questions have to be answered consecutively.

I know where I lack and still not improving. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1252 [0]
Send PM
RC is becoming a challenge. I will try my best to do that right :). What happened in the GMAT PREP was I got 2 questions after the RC wrong too ...
I am not going to give up untill the last micro second in GMAT.. lets see whats in store.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2401 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
hemanthp wrote:
I was in some DAZED state. I cannot remember 1 question from Verbal. How the hell can that be? I was so nervous that I couldn't even properly count the time per question that I should spend.
-Hemanth

Hemanth
Just chillax before the exam and recollect small mental notes. Go and pamper yourself :-D in pool or spa or sleep 10 hrs a day for few days. A rested brain is an alert brain. Recollect all the notes e.g. x^3 gets smaller when 0<x<1 and gets bigger when -1<x<0

Go and kick the gmat ass ! :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
hi..,

it is surprising for me that with 12 q's wrong u got 38.... GMAT Prep is the most accurate one...

i got 14 wrong in Verbal in Knewton free test and score was only 24. totally disappointed :(.
in that test only i got 8 wrong continuously which might have pulled my score down...
my lesson from this test was DO NOT GUESS Q'S IN A ROW.
ur strategy shud be a gud one for guessing..

Also, i have heard RC has got more weightage compared to CR and SC. make sure u solve all the RC's correctly. u can guess CR or SC based on which one is ur weaker area.

Gud luck !!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3620 [0]
Send PM
Even I have decided to spend more time on RC. I will guess 2-3 questions randomly in regular intervals.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hemanthp wrote:
Same question, what is this random order? Its the ARGUMENT, ISSUE, QUANT and VERBAL. This is fixed.

Really, uh? For some reason I imagined that issue could come before argument, and that verbal could come before quant :|

It's good to know the order is fixed. I was trying to figure out a way to get my mind buffed up. Now it's much clearer how I'll concentrate before the fights.

Thanks for correcting my belief :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
For RC I recommend MGMAT RC; the book teaches helpful strategies to avoid falling in beautifully crafted traps. Pay careful attention to the words, and what they exactly mean. It's really similar to CR once you get the hang of it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1252 [2]
Send PM